Textile Vs Leather?

Guest PJ_C

My concern with Kevlar and textiles in general is the armor doesn't stay in place. Mostly it's because woven material stretches and distorts allowing pocketed armor to be displaced from a point of impact.

My Teknic Hurricane jacket addressed this by having well-shaped armour, and straps on the sleeves that allow them to be cinched in to hold the elbow armour in place. My Spidi Gran Turismo pants are the same - the knee armour practically suction cups onto my knees, but to help it stay in place, there's a velcroed strap just below the knee. Hip armour's not going to move, as the pants are a good fit.

IMO, ideally we need several different suits, but if you're like me, you can't afford, then textile is the answer to provide four-seasons protection. The ideal is textile with leather in abrasion-prone areas, like shoulders, elbows / lower arms, hips, knees, seat. Unfortunately, very few companies do this. My pants have leather in the seat, inside of the lower leg, and (now) the hips. I couldn't find a jacket to replace my customised Teknic, so I opted for a Macna leather jacket with removable thermal and waterproof liners, vent zips in the arms, and a removablepiece that goes up the front and roaund the back of the neck; this has mesh underneath, so it provides even better air flow htan my Teknic with 8 vent zips.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I'm a textile person. I like that I can wear the same gear all year round (not that I ride much in the winter). I have a Cortech mesh jacket. It has a waterproof liner and a quilted liner. With these, and some Under Armour, I can ride in all kinds of temps. Like someone else mentioned, it also helps that the sleeves on the jacket have adjustable straps to cinch the jacket (and armor) to the body. I have a pair of Tour Master textile overpants. They also came with the multiple liners. But they're not as adjustable as the jacket.

I'm also a believer in the best gear is the gear you're going to wear. I'm a ATGAT guy myself. My gear gives me the option to wear it, in almost any weather. Leather is more weather dependent, IMO.

• Member Contributer

I doubt you will find anyone on here that says textile is as good as leather. Good gear is the gear you will wear as opposed to leaving at home because it's too hot/cold/rainy. etc. I own both and use both depending on, you guessed it, hot/cold/rainy, etc.

YEP....I still believe Leather is Better/Stronger. I ride most every day, in every temp and weather, and my Olympia Phantom 1pc Suits serve me best for convenience, adjustability, weather protection, etc. If they save me once, and I have to replace one, then the price was a bargain. I generally wear extra ICON Armor underneath also on extended trips..... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Another option with leather if heat is a concern is to look into perforated leather. I were a fieldsheer jacket 7 pant combo during hte summer months and it is fine whil ehte air is moving, but hot while getting going.

• Member Contributer

Another option with leather if heat is a concern is to look into perforated leather. I were a fieldsheer jacket 7 pant combo during hte summer months and it is fine whil ehte air is moving, but hot while getting going.

"COLOR" also.....my old ICON "WHITE" Leather Motorhead Jacket was as cool as most any Jacket I've owned, even standin' around in Summer with it on..... :fing02: :ohmy:

• Member Contributer

I have perfed leathers, and my only complaint with them is that they are for warm weather riding only. I was very comfortable this summer in 100F temperatures (as long as I was moving), but when the weather drops to 60F, they start to get too cold. They are definitely more comfortable to ride in than textiles, although take more work to put on.

My 2 cents...

I have both a textile Frank Thomas set and a leather Joe Rocket set (with removable textile section on the front of the sleeves).

The Frank Thomas is waterproof (Goretex type inner membrane) and let me tell you, it is HOT, HOT, HOT! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, if it has a waterproof lining, you are gonna sweat like crazy in the warm weather. Notice I didn't say hot weather, cuz then you are just gonna melt into a puddle.

The leather gear is WAY cooler in hot weather, and I always wear an inner layer (poly weave long johns and long sleeve cotton T), it's way more comfortable that way. Also the RANGE of temps that the leather will accomodate is wider than the textile. Basically I'm good between 10C - 35C in leather, and 5 - 25C in textile (includes real thick liners for cool riding).

I 'feel' safer in the leather as compared to the textile for all the reasons previously indicated (snug fit, better armour, ...).

Two knocks against leather

1. putting the rain gear on/off in variable weather, although I found some rain gear (50$ @ Costco) with decent vents and is somewhat breathable.

2. the weird looks you get from people whenever you get off the bike.

If you are gonna compare to mesh gear for hot weather, you must be fair and compare to perf leather.

Of course the 'hot' season in Montreal is not the same as Miami, all 3 weeks of it... tongue.gif

I am convinced that you need 2 sets of gear to cover all bases.

Brian

• Member Contributer

I have perfed leathers, and my only complaint with them is that they are for warm weather riding only. I was very comfortable this summer in 100F temperatures (as long as I was moving), but when the weather drops to 60F, they start to get too cold. They are definitely more comfortable to ride in than textiles, although take more work to put on.

So, Olive You were comfy durin' those "TWO DAYS" of Canadian Summer, huh....... :fing02:

• 3 months later...

I guess it is my job to bring old threads back to life :goofy:

Great thread guys, good educational read

I'm the kind of rider who has a nice leather jacket, and boy-oh-boy, does it ever look good hanging in the front hall closet... I have never been thrilled with the movement restriction, the thing is hot as helll, and I find I ride more like a jerk when I wear it, so it hangs in the closet a lot.

For this new to me bike, I'm going to go synthetic fiber, because I suspect, I'll just plain wear it more often.

Thanks, I'm off to do some googling...

Aerostich Roadcrafter

Cortech

First Gear

Frank Thomas

Joe Rocket Alto Ego

Motoport

Olympia Viper

Teknic

Tourmaster

• Member Contributer

I have my old Bellstaff jacket, but, that is going to be replaced by the Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 and Alter Ego pants.

( purchased from New enough ). Looking for a leather jacket to wear when around town. Finding said jacket in Edmonton is like searching for a needle in a haystack. I will have to wait until I go to Vancouver.

Well, I have made my decision

I need to get out to some local bike shops that have this so I can figure out the right size

So far I'm not finding any type of deals on price on-line

2010_gt_air04.jpg

Olympia GT Air All Seasons Transition Jacket

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/gt_air/gt_air.htm

The pics I found here are awesome

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334812

The reviews I found here were also impressive

http://www.revzilla.com/product/olympia-gt-air-jacket#reviews_tab

I have a SHIFT textile (awesome jacket). I live in NE Ohio, it's always humid and summer daytime temps get into the high 80's, and when sitting in traffic even my textile is too hot so I really only have one option. as for pants, it's just jeans for me right now =( if anyone can point me to a good textile pant (black and/or red)that comes in a 36x30 let me know because all of the ones I've looked at are sized S,M,L and by time they fit my waist I have 4 extra inches on the bottom.

I live in NE Ohio, it's always humid and summer daytime temps get into the high 80's, and when sitting in traffic even my textile is too hot so I really only have one option.

Upstate NY here SmileyWave3.gif

The heat is my biggest concern, I just really need a jacket that is going to really allow the air to flow, otherwise, I just know I'll go back to riding in a long sleeve cotton shirt...

• Member Contributer

I prefer vented leather, once the air starts moving it doesn't take much to cool me down. But then again, it never gets too hot here in Michigan. I suppose if it did, I would go with perforated leather. And if you're sitting in traffic, you'll be hot no matter what...

I honestly find leather to be much more comfortable than textile. It provides so much better wind protection, doesn't flap around and holds of fatigue for longer.

But that's just my $.02.

• Member Contributer

I live in NE Ohio, it's always humid and summer daytime temps get into the high 80's, and when sitting in traffic even my textile is too hot so I really only have one option.

Upstate NY here SmileyWave3.gif

The heat is my biggest concern, I just really need a jacket that is going to really allow the air to flow, otherwise, I just know I'll go back to riding in a long sleeve cotton shirt...

I'm also in Upstate NY. Depending on the time of year, it may be sub 50 in the morning, sunny and high 75 in the afternoon, rain and then back to sub 50.

I have a joe rocket rasp jacket that flows air or zips up and is water tight. FS textile pants and FS waterproof boots.

I'm also in Upstate NY. Depending on the time of year, it may be sub 50 in the morning, sunny and high 75 in the afternoon, rain and then back to sub 50.

I have a joe rocket rasp jacket that flows air or zips up and is water tight. FS textile pants and FS waterproof boots.

Well hi to you too, you Upstater :biggrin:

I looked at the Joe Rocket Alter Ego, it was my 2nd choice

The dark grey color for the majority of the jacket that Olympia offered was my deciding factor

I just can't call myself a fan of black jackets

• Member Contributer

I just can't call myself a fan of black jackets

If I had my way, hi-viz yellow, orange, and lime would be the cool colors. My leather jacket is black (with reflective piping), so I just throw a reflective vest over it, like construction workers wear, but more substantial.

• Member Contributer

I have a SHIFT textile (awesome jacket). I live in NE Ohio, it's always humid and summer daytime temps get into the high 80's, and when sitting in traffic even my textile is too hot so I really only have one option. as for pants, it's just jeans for me right now =( if anyone can point me to a good textile pant (black and/or red)that comes in a 36x30 let me know because all of the ones I've looked at are sized S,M,L and by time they fit my waist I have 4 extra inches on the bottom.

Maybe give these a try:

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/venture_air_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html

I have a pair and am roughly the same measurements as you. Actually 38/30.

I'm reasonably pleased with them. They are quite versatile. The mesh works nicely. However after about a year and a half of use, I was in a low speed get off and the material at the zipper seam came apart. Everything else on the pants held up just fine.

• Member Contributer

gallery_8073_4155_743849.jpg

IMG_0186.JPG

I wear Joe Rocket Leather jacket & Pants that are perf. The jacket has vents at the bicep, I material down middle of sleeve is breathable, also a vent in back & air scoops on shoulder. Very comfortable from 27F to over 100F. I also have textile jackets, but always wear the leather :biggrin: For comuting just the jacket & tourmaster overpants, when the temp is below 40 I also wear a liner under the jacket from a firstgear textile jacket :rolleyes: Thankfully I have not had the opportunity to seriously crash test either the leather or textile.

Good Luck

Gary

Wow, this jacket seems packed with features, and with an MSRP of only $239, interesting...

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Epic-Jacket-p-272_3.html

Tourmaster - Epic Jacket

h_ej1_black.jpg

Any owners out there who can make a comment based upon real world experience?

Here's a good review on the Tourmaster Epic, TripleH:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/tourmaster-epic-jacket/

• Member Contributer

As far as keeping cool goes, you would not believe the difference wearing Under Armor under your leathers or textile makes. Get one of their spandex T shirts and a pair of their bicycle rider type shorts. It will make all the difference in the world in staying cool.

Even my pot gut looks good in an Under Armor spandex T shirt.

Excellent point. I always wear Under Armour and I am comfortable all day even with temperature in the 90s. I have perforated leather Joe Rocket Honda design jacket and perforated leather Joe Rocket pants.

Archived