Dented Tank :(

RustyA

After watching a few videos of using a hair dryer and some compressed duster spray, I would give it a shot!!

Go for the PDR guys they should be able to get it out. You may want to call around though, I saw a video on youtube where a guy specializes on tank repairs. There a special PDR tools specifically made for motorcycle tanks and you shouldn't have to remove the tank. Good luck!
After watching a few videos of using a hair dryer and some compressed duster spray, I would give it a shot!!

It doesn't exist without links and pics. :biggrin:

Hook us lazy folks up will ya guys? :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I used the Ding King hot glue system to pull out a similar dent. About 85% success. Good enough to take the 1/2 tank bra off and apply stomp grip pads. You can still notice it. For a $30 repair I feel ok with it. Don't try to tap on your tank at all. It will dent very easy. It took about 8 tries to get it all the way out. Take your time.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for all of the replys! I'm still PO'ed about this tho! Now my wife's Jeep GC has dent on the driver's side door. This happen this morning at the hospital, when she was getting a PET Scan. I can't win! :angry:

I have to fine someone in my area to do PDR. Maybe I can get a 2for deal. LOL

That's why I leased my car. I pay like $5 a month extra for a no worries lease. All I have to do is pull into the dealership in it when the lease is up.. so my kids open the door into the shopping cart cage at the grocery store and I shrug my shoulders and say, "it's a lease" What freedom in not giving a crap about stuff like that. When I crashed my 86 VFR700 I used my recovery time to glue the plastics together and sand things down so I could repaint it. I've been thinking of going to Maco fo ra $300 paint job but then again the tail sections tarted cracking again so I slapped some black duct tape on it. no one has noticed enough to ask what happened.

Oxygen

• Member Contributer

I'm a freak about door dings on cars. I hate to see them because they always unnecessary and say "Some a-hole doesn't give a crap about anything that isn't theirs".

Paintless dent removal guys can work wonders. When I was a photographer we needed to do a photo shoot for a local PDR business. My brand new Acura was the perfect color for the shoot. Initially I said "NFW!" (no way) when it was brought up. So the dent guy said, "Let me show you something". He picked up a screwdriver walked over to a new, from the dealer, Jaguar that was in the shop. Taking the blunt handle of the screwdriver he slammed it into the door leaving a deep silver dollar sized dent. Three minutes later, it was gone... Completely!

I said, what the hell and let him dent my car. We got the "before" shot with the dent and after he fixed it we got the "after" shot.

• Member Contributer
Go for the PDR guys they should be able to get it out. You may want to call around though, I saw a video on youtube where a guy specializes on tank repairs. There a special PDR tools specifically made for motorcycle tanks and you shouldn't have to remove the tank. Good luck!

It doesn't exist without links and pics. :blush:

Hook us lazy folks up will ya guys? :blush:

Wow Ok...for all you lazy people out there. Enjoy!

Not sure where you are located in Pa, but I used to work at a car dealership in Putnam county NY (right at the intersection of I84 and I684) We went through a few PDR guys, and finally settled on Kevin. He's a buddy of mine and he is a miracle worker. I've seen him take out some really crazy dents. The one thing I would be concerned about is how "sharp" the dent is. If its very small and very deep, sometimes the paint can crack when the dent comes out. Either way, if that area of NY isnt too far of a ride for you, I can hook you up with his number. He's often in the Middletown / Port Jervis area also, which is very close to the Pa border. If you dont have TALENTED PDR guy near you send me a PM.

Not sure where you are located in Pa, but I used to work at a car dealership in Putnam county NY (right at the intersection of I84 and I684) We went through a few PDR guys, and finally settled on Kevin. He's a buddy of mine and he is a miracle worker. I've seen him take out some really crazy dents. The one thing I would be concerned about is how "sharp" the dent is. If its very small and very deep, sometimes the paint can crack when the dent comes out. Either way, if that area of NY isnt too far of a ride for you, I can hook you up with his number. He's often in the Middletown / Port Jervis area also, which is very close to the Pa border. If you dont have TALENTED PDR guy near you send me a PM.

I'm in the south west corner of the state. Been too busy with work and wife's chemo again to do anything right now. First chance I get, I'm going to get it fix.

I'm in the south west corner of the state. Been too busy with work and wife's chemo again to do anything right now. First chance I get, I'm going to get it fix.

Ok that would be quite a bit too far to ride to get a dent removed. I wish your wife the best. Good luck to the both of you

Ok that would be quite a bit too far to ride to get a dent removed. I wish your wife the best. Good luck to the both of you

Thanks. My wife's cancer came back. :angry: All of my projects are on hold for the time being. sad.gif

Archived