Another 5thgen Ram Mount Option

Guest a2db

I have a '98/5thGen, and have had a bit of a struggle with RAM mounting for my GPS. This has probably been covered in many ways, but after searching I didn't turn up a solution that used the RAM 9mm mount with a 45degree offset. I figured I'd share my solution, in case anyone is looking for options.

The clutch perch that came with my GPS did not seem like it would work. Just eyeballing the setup, it did not seem like mounting that far out on the left side would give me a position I could see easily. I didn't want to reach across to the right side. I also had doubts about clearance. The further out you go, the more the whole setup turns when you turn the bars.

After poking around VFRD, it looked like people were going with either the stem mount, or mounting to the bolts that secure the front of the gas tank. The gas tank option seemed to low for my taste, so I tried the stem mount. The end result was tolerable position, but lame performance on the road. No matter how tight I tried to get the rubber wedge, the GPS would slowly change position while riding. It would also rapidly change position if the bike was jarred or bumped. This would happen mostly when transitioning from riding on the rear wheel, back to having both wheels on the ground. In other words, about 10 times per ride. :goofy: What can I say, I'm an addict. :wheel:

I kept thinking the bolts that secure the left clip-on would be a good spot, but wasn't sure what RAM mount would work. After some measuring and thinking and :unsure: , I took a chance on the RAM ball with a 9mm mounting hole and a 45 degree angle to it. Here is a photo of the part. I got mine through .CycleGadgets. Not sure if it's available cheaper somewhere else, I paid about $20.

gallery_11277_4595_9408.jpg

I had planned on getting a longer bolt to replace the one that secures the clip-ons, and waited for a when day I wouldn't need the bike, so I could run the bolt to the store and be sure I had the right length and thread pitch. Turns out I waited for nothing, because when I finally took it apart, the stock bolts were long enough to accommodate adding the RAM mount, with plenty of threads left.

Here is a photo of the mount in place under the bolt. The 45 is angled up toward the ignition key, and also rotated about 40 degress away from the triple.

gallery_11277_4595_84909.jpg

Here is a photo of the cradle in place, without the Zumo. The latch is open, so the cradle looks taller than it really is.

gallery_11277_4595_136588.jpg

Here is the the same angle, but with the Zumo in the cradle:

gallery_11277_4595_93527.jpg

This mount is rock solid. There was plenty of thread left on the clip-on bolt, so I'm pretty confident it's save attaching the RAM mount here. I'm using the short RAM arm that came with the ZUMO. PM me if you want any more photos. Also, I'm willing to fiddle with the clutch perch mount, and take some photos, if anyone thinks that would be more to their taste, but doesn't want to buy the bits without seeing it in action first. The clutch mount that came with the Zumo went onto my F650GSD, but it would not been much work to try it out on the VFR and snap some photos.

• Forum CEO

gallery_491_2692_21651.jpg

ram mounts one on the gas tank and one on the left clipon I used the gas tank clip on for my Walkie talkie since it is easier to operate the zumo when its closer to the left clipon.

This has been my setup for a couple of years now, but I will take a look at reversing the mount on the clip on.

one on the gas tank and one on the left clipon I used the gas tank clip on for my Walkie talkie since it is easier to operate the zumo when its closer to the left clipon.

This has been my setup for a couple of years now, but I will take a look at reversing the mount on the clip on.

doh... I wish I had seen that photo BEFORE I bought the stupid stem mount! :unsure:

Here is the wiring setup, to go full-nerd on the documentation :unsure:

We start our tour at the fuse block. Sadly, it's not from Tightwad. I got this about 2 years ago, before I knew Tightwad had a store.

The bundle also includes wires for symtec heated grips and a volt meter. The block I bought included a relay, which switchs off the battery tender lead when the bike is powered on. I left the stock inline fuse of the Garmin power cable in place. The ground wire from the Garmin power cord is spliced into a ground for the relay, just below the inline fuse. The hot wire goes to the fuse block. The wire runs down the left side of the subframe, past the VFRNess joy, and under the fuel tank.

gallery_11277_4595_21106.jpg

Once under the tank, I ran all the wires heading up front along the left side of the frame. Seemed to be out of the way, and not too hot. The Garmin wire is black, that bit of red is the wire for either the grips or the volt meter.

gallery_11277_4595_57408.jpg

At the front of the bike, I ran under the frame just to the left of the stearing head, past the coil on the left side, and out of the fairing. The clutch cable and some other wires run right there, I just zip tied to those. The symtec wire is zipped in the same bundle. The hole in the side fairing is for the DPDT rocker that came with the symtec heaters. The switch quit on me (after about 18 months), so I'm looking for a replacement.

gallery_11277_4595_133257.jpg

Here is a side view of the mount, with the power wire wrapped around the top. This keeps it out of the way of the ignition.

gallery_11277_4595_33598.jpg

Just for grins, here's my nerdy Zumo splash screen. If you're a FLCL fan, you're stoked. Otherwise, it's a crazy chick on a Lambretta, swinging a Rickenbacker bass over her head. You have to watch the anime to really appreciate it.

gallery_11277_4595_19373.jpg

The actual 320 x 240 jpg is in the gallery, if anyone wants it for their Zumo :wheel:

Edited by a2db

but after searching I didn't turn up a solution that used the RAM 9mm mount with a 45degree offset.

I used to have the angled mount on the left clipon (pics here and somewhere in the Tales of Zumo thread) but switched to a stem mount as I wanted the (heavy) streetpilot centered and the extension arm could not support the SPIII when it was positioned at near 45deg angle. Also as the 3rd and 4th gen clipons do not have the flat surface where the bolt protrudes through the clipon like the later models VFR, so you need to clamp the mount using a pair of nuts and washers. Not the most estethic solution.

clmnt.th.jpg