Strange Sound While Slowing Down (engine Braking)

Guest v4vfr

Guest v4vfr

For the last couple of days, I have noticed on my 2002 VFR a strange sound, coming somewhere from the engine. I did notice this sound before (even couple of years back), however it happened very seldom. Now, I can hear it quite often.

This sound (a rather soft rattle) comes on as I slow down using engine braking. If I pull in the clutch lever (around 2000rpm) the sound goes away, and when I release the clutch lever again the sound does not come back. It only happens during engine braking (from mid rpm to low rpm) and gets more noticeable as the engine reaches lower RPM.

It is a very soft rattle, almost like a quick, repetitive puffing sound, and the strange thing is that when I pull the clutch lever in the sound just goes away. The sound comes back again only when I accelerate and I do engine braking again.

Anyone has some idea what is causing this?

• Member Contributer

If you snap the throttle with the bike in neutral does it do it briefly. It could be the CCT showing its age.

• Member Contributer

Check your drive chain tension. During engine braking the chain is slacking just enough to touch the center stand. When you pull in the clutch the tension returns to normal. Easy to check and fix and costs you nothing but a little bit of time. wink.gif

Check your drive chain tension. During engine braking the chain is slacking just enough to touch the center stand. When you pull in the clutch the tension returns to normal. Easy to check and fix and costs you nothing but a little bit of time. wink.gif

Now...Aren't you Clever.............Monk :blush:

• Member Contributer

Now...Aren't you Clever.............Monk :blush:

I could actually feel this in the left footpeg only on the decel when I needed to lube. This was only on my vtec. A quick shot of wd40 (It's the best. No, it isn't. Let's start a thread!) and all was right again. Weird.

It's not the chain.

This morning when I started the bike, the noise came on right away (this way the first time that this happened). The bike was standing, in Neutral and the noise just would not go away.

At this point I just re-started the engine and the noise was gone. All the way to work, the noise never came back again.

• Member Contributer

CCT(s)

I would replace the rear one first and see if the noise goes away.

If not, replace the front one as well.

Do a search on how to do it.

• Member Contributer
What's the flapper?
Flapper may need lube.

It's a valve that lets air in at certain times, not convenient to get to as you'll have to take off your gas tank and airbox, but easier to check than the CCT's (which would be my guess--does it sound like a bunch of loose bolts being tossed around in a can?)

It is NOT this:

pink_flapper_lady.jpg

Let's not go for lube jokes, too easy...

(why am I so off topic today?)

• 3 years later...

Hey Ryanme17,

I have the strange noise that sounds like a `bunch of loose bolts being tossed in a can' on my 98 VFR. It is sending me crazy. Is this the flapper valve noise you were mentioning?

Archived