Who's Got A Nuvi 760?

SEBSPEED

I'm thinking about getting one before Tmac, but have a few questions.

1. Can I upload maps to the 760 from Google?

2. Does it have the "breadcrumb" function, where the unit will show you where you've been?

3. Any negatives to report?

4. Not really important to me, but I see that it can play/manage MP3's.

- can I add a bunch of music to an SD card and play them in the unit?

- does it have a plug for headphones, or does the function only work via the FM transmitter function?

Thanks in advance!

• Member Contributer

2. Does it have the "breadcrumb" function, where the unit will show you where you've been?

- does it have a plug for headphones, or does the function only work via the FM transmitter function?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not really all that qualified to answer all this because I had one for only about 24 hours. I didn't try to upload any maps from google but you can upload maps to it. But you'll want to add the SD card for extra memory for Maps and Music. Yes it has an audio out port for headphones. It does not have the "bread crumb" function. I sent it back because I wanted a bigger screen, so I purchased the Nuvi 5000. Same thing except it doesn't have a battery and needs power all the time. It also fits in my medium wide aqua box a lot better than the smaller 760. Which is fine for me.

I'm not really all that qualified to answer all this because I had one for only about 24 hours. I didn't try to upload any maps from google but you can upload maps to it. But you'll want to add the SD card for extra memory for Maps and Music. Yes it has an audio out port for headphones. It does not have the "bread crumb" function. I sent it back because I wanted a bigger screen, so I purchased the Nuvi 5000. Same thing except it doesn't have a battery and needs power all the time. It also fits in my medium wide aqua box a lot better than the smaller 760. Which is fine for me.

Thanks Trav, do you have a pic w/ the 5000 installed?

Bigger screen sounds good and it's "only" an extra $50 - but it shouldn't be too big...

• Member Contributer

Thanks Trav, do you have a pic w/ the 5000 installed?

Bigger screen sounds good and it's "only" an extra $50 - but it shouldn't be too big...

I can get a pic for you tonight. It is a lot bigger but it fits into the medium wide aqua box perfectly. The 760 looked ridiculous in it. However it might be fine for yourself. I'm in the process of making up a "tank box" with all of my electronics that can be removed in about 10 seconds. The 5000 sits on top in the aqua box. I'll take some pics tonight.

I can get a pic for you tonight. It is a lot bigger but it fits into the medium wide aqua box perfectly. The 760 looked ridiculous in it. However it might be fine for yourself. I'm in the process of making up a "tank box" with all of my electronics that can be removed in about 10 seconds. The 5000 sits on top in the aqua box. I'll take some pics tonight.

Great, looking forward to it. Any problems so far using the touch screen through the aqua box?

• Member Contributer
Great, looking forward to it. Any problems so far using the touch screen through the aqua box?

The only problem using the aqua box is that the cover isn't the most clear thing to look through. I can see the screen fine. But because of the flexibility it's not a perfectly tight overlay. I actually got this idea from a guy on advrider. The first pic is his. But my setup is almost the same as far as the box and the aqua box goes. I'm still waiting for my amplirider and various electrical connectors to arrive so I can finish it. I'll do a detail write up when I'm done.

406547405_kxETn-XL.jpg

16249d12b2238f08.jpg

16249d12b223b22e.jpg

Hey Trav, someone mentioned in another thread that the entire Nuvi line does NOT support the uploading of maps from Google.

Can you confirm/deny?

Thanks, and thank you for the pics too. That thing looks like it'll play movies too! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
Hey Trav, someone mentioned in another thread that the entire Nuvi line does NOT support the uploading of maps from Google.

Can you confirm/deny?

Thanks, and thank you for the pics too. That thing looks like it'll play movies too! :fing02:

I can't confirm or deny that. I have Mapsource so I don't use google. I'm sure if you did some research you could find out for sure. Sorry I can't be of anymore help. Oh, it does have a video in port so you can play movies or hook up a rear video camera. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Thanks in advance!

I've got the Nuvi 750 which is similar to the 760 except no bluetooth.

You can upload maps from the Nuvi to the Garmin Mapsource program on your computer. Mapsource has a function to load the route on Google Earth. I've tried it a couple of times but didn't really mess with it too much. AFAIK you can't download routes from Google since they are in a different format. I believe there is some software that will convert the Google map so it can be used on the Nuvi, but I've not tried it. I use Delorme Street Atlas to map out my routes, set them up in Mapsource and then download them to the Nuvi. I use Delorme because I've used it for awhile and am familiar with it and like the functionality of it over Mapsource. Both have their good points.

The Nuvi doesn't do "breadcrumbs" but you can upload the trip log from the Nuvi to your computer so you can see where you went.

The only negative I have is the slowness of the Nuvi 750 to acquire it's location. I had a Nuvi 350 before and it usually found it's location in under a minute. The 750 can take several minutes sometimes, and other times it is really fast. Go figure. Small nit, but there you go.

You can store MP3's, pics, audiobooks on the Nuvi or use a SD card. I would recommend the SD so you don't use up the available resident memory. It does have a headphone jack and will also broadcast to your FM radio if you want to listen on your car radio.

Hope this helps a bit. I love mine and use it on the bike all the time when traveling. No more paper maps for me. :blink:

• Member Contributer

Everything I've found states the 760 does do the breadcrumb:

Tracklog Recording

The bread crumb trail is back. Tracklogs are familiar to backcountry navigators using handheld GPS, but until the 700 series Garmin left this feature out of the nuvis. You won't see it displayed on the device. In order to view the data you must transfer the data from the nuvi to Garmin MapSource. Tracklogs are great for analyzing your travels, keeping track of business milage, and knowing exactly where to create waypoints for locations you have visited.

Taken from: http://www.travelbygps.com/articles/nuvi_760.php

I've been doing some searching on the web, and I've found some evidence that Google maps can be uploaded to the Nuvi, but haven't found anything that really says - "YES YOU CAN".

I'm not buying unless I can do that. I'll kick myself later if I do, and it doesn't.

I wish HS would chime in here, he probably knows right off the top of his head...

I do not have a Nüvi, but I am sure you can not upload Google Maps to your GPS. You can use Google Earth to draw a track and convert the resulting kml file (using e.g. gpsbabel) to a gpx track file or (using e.g. wingdb) to a gpx route file that can be uploaded to your Nüvi. But that does not guarantee that the Nüvi now uses the exact same route as the what you drew up in GE. For that you may find that you have to add some additional points in GE and do the conversion again.

Ther are other ways to accomplish the same (like this) but in the end you're better of using Mapsource and City Navigator to draw routes, but that will come ad an additional cost.

• Member Contributer
There are other ways to accomplish the same (like this) but in the end you're better of using Mapsource and City Navigator to draw routes, but that will come ad an additional cost.

When I bought my Nuvi 750 I also asked for and received the Mapsource CD so I could load it on the computer and use it. There was no additional charge for the CD, not even shipping.

• Member Contributer
I do not have a Nüvi, but I am sure you can not upload Google Maps to your GPS. You can use Google Earth to draw a track and convert the resulting kml file (using e.g. gpsbabel) to a gpx track file or (using e.g. wingdb) to a gpx route file that can be uploaded to your Nüvi. But that does not guarantee that the Nüvi now uses the exact same route as the what you drew up in GE. For that you may find that you have to add some additional points in GE and do the conversion again.

Ther are other ways to accomplish the same (like this) but in the end you're better of using Mapsource and City Navigator to draw routes, but that will come ad an additional cost.

This is a great summary of the google transfer capability.

If the Garmin GPS unit will take routes from Mapsource then you can can convert other map route formats to a the native gpx Garmin format and send to the GPS unit. There are several third party software apps that do the conversion and other stuff.

I used to do exactly that ie convert from Microsoft's Street and Trips which has a more friendly UI than Mapsource. But Mapsource has too many advantages to ignore/shelve it! I still use S&T to construct the master plan with overnights etc and then build individual route days and options with Mapsource. I use GE to look at overheads of where I actually went.

Garmin planned route and actual GPS track in GE. Oops :blush:

2081864340099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Regardless of the PC/Internet software you use they are a must for complex route planning. Units are good for point and shoot nav but planning a three week trip on a handheld unit just ain't cool.

GPS are great exploration tools. :biggrin:

2444605410099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to go for the nuvi 750. I don't need Bluetooth or traffic alerts, and aside from that, the 750 & 760 are identical.

Thanks again to all for the input! Now I need to find the rest of the pieces to mount it on the bike.

Anyone know the cheapest site to buy RAM products from? :schla15:

Archived