Hindle High Mount Exhaust On A 4th Gen

HiDesertMLB

• Member Contributer

I ordered a high mount Hindle exhaust from an eBay store for my '96 VFR. It has been a struggle to find a new aftermarket exhaust w/ a high mount setup for a fair price. I waited for a month to get the midpipe, because the retailer sent the standard low-mount instead of the high-mount. Finally, after getting the right midpipe, I get ready to install the whole thing. Here's what I've come across: the darn slip-on muffler is like an Alpenhorn! It sticks out way beyond the back fender and license plate! A 4" reduction would bring the spout within 1.5"- 2" beyond the license plate, which would be visually acceptable.

I think I am stuck with the slip-on. It is a 20" oval aluminum can. Buying terms were "all sales final". I wish they would have paired the pipe/slip-on combo with a shorter can. The can in the setup they sold I would think is geared towards a low-mount install. Before securing the Alpenhorn down, I fired up the bike, and it sounds fierce (louder than the Staintunes on my 6th gen). Don't know how it will fare in neighborhood and noise level.

The length of the can bothers me, and I am contemplating chopping the can w/ a pneumatic cutoff wheel (I don't own a band saw or chop saw). Looks easy enough: gently peel off the cheesy self-adhesive badge (heat gun should aid this), drill out the rivets from the end piece, measure/mask/cut, reassemble. To get it to a visually appealing high mount can length, this would mean shortening from 20" to 16". My questions are:

- Will this dramatically increase the decibels? It's already louder than stock, will a 4" chop make this thing strightpipe loud?

- Anyone here w/ a similar Hindle setup?

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Member Contributer

can you try those Decibel Killers on ebay? A friend has one and he reckons it helps lots with the noise level, so much he can start his bike up at 6am without being shot at.

Bren

• Member Contributer

UPDATE:

I got fed up about the whole long muffler thing and decided to grab my collection of Harbor Freight tools and hack it- literally. I shortened the can by 5", making it 15". I used a hacksaw and dressed up the cut by using a flap wheel. I re-riveted the end piece on (getting it off was a PITA). I fashioned a minimally intrusive hanger from 5/16" all thread, requiring nothing more than a small hole in the fender undertray. I was not up to drilling a hole in the subframe- I used what holes that were there (crosspiece has two hole punched in it from the factory). Here are the results:

PICT0504.jpg

the hanger

PICT0508.jpg

I ditched the brushed aluminum badge for a swag decal that came with the muffler. It's red and matches the VFR a bit better.

PICT0503.jpg

the remnants

PICT0512.jpg

The chop job was OK and the results acceptable. The muffler is a tad louder than the 20" length, but not by much. If any members have any info on inserts (i.e.: spud) or where to get, it would be appreciated. I could not find the referred to "decibel killers" on eBay; don't know what they are. I will post up a sound clip when I get the chance.

If there's any lesson that I've learned coming from this:

- Finding a new, high mount exhaust for the 4th gen is hard. Sources are limited.

- If you want an exhaust that looks great, has quality workmanship, fits right out of the box, and sounds awesome- get a Staintune.

Let me know what you think of the hack job. I'm going to keep it on for a little while, but I'm not sure if it's what I want long term. It's a little loud for me, and it's definitely not like the Staintunes on my 6th gen. +1.gif

Looks great, I love the shorty can look! +1.gif

BTW which end did you cut, I suggest cutting the the forward end so that the back/end cap part always looks best as it's the most visible. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Your "shorty" looks very good, great job on the mod. +1.gif

Staintune do sound and look good, but Remus is another high quality exhaust for the 4th gen (but like you said, not many out there) they sound and look GREAT!!! (Sorry, don't know how to up load video yet.)

gallery_15375_4187_169531.jpg

Picture 086.jpg

gallery_15375_4187_18999.jpg

Picture 087.jpg

• Member Contributer
. If any members have any info on inserts (i.e.: spud) or where to get, it would be appreciated. I could not find the referred to "decibel killers" on eBay; don't know what they are.

here you go.

effectively it is a lenght of tubing that is fitten in from the exit end of the pipe

dB-eaters-gr.jpg

http://www.bos-exhausts.com/images/dB01.pdf

My BOS and now Akrapovic came with one that looks linke the bottom one.

I guess the others are a variation for a different "sound"

here is the difference in sound

th_akra.jpg

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n206/Du...urrent=akra.flv

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the advice & comments. I went for a long ride today, and it's loud. It is tolerable on the highway, but get into the higher RPMs and working the throttle through the turns it makes me concerned. At the end of the ride, I put my MP3 player on REC and here's how it sounds:

Dutchy, Bren: Thanks for pointing out the options for reducing the noise. I looked at eBay, and some can be found if searched as "dB Killer". Seems like most are sold on eBay-UK auctions (probably due to European noise regulations being more stringent).

BR: I cut the can on the most visible side- the end. :pissed: Thankfully the 120 grit flapwheel dressed it up as if I used a large disc sander in a shop.

Archived