Found A Nice Ramp On Fleabay For $200.

Rice

• Member Contributer

This ramp looks like the ticket.

It's cheap, about $240 delivered

It is wide enough to load singlehanded - I don't want to rely on kindness of strangers to load/unload the bike :cool:

It folds for transport

It can be sepparated into smaller pieces

It's light - aluminum

It can handle the weight and then some

It's cheap... :fing02:

Am I overlooking something obvious?

Or is it the best deal on a wide ramp out there?

Everything else is in the $500+ territory.

Please set me straight before I buy it.

LINKY

8a_1_b.JPG

• Member Contributer

I have the exact same ramp I bought off Ebay and I bought it from the same folks. Works very well for my application which is a trailer that is not as tall as the rear of a pickup. If you used it for a regular pickup it would be a pretty steep incline, it would work okay, just a bit steeper than the longer ones. No complaints about how it works at all. I use it to load my VFR and Peggy's SilverWing scooter.

Plus that's a better price than I paid last year!!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the info, guys.

I think I'll buy it.

okiengr,

I looked at this ramp, but it has two disadvantages: It is a 1.5' shorter and it is not arched. The truck I have sits pretty high, so I need all the length I can get :blush:

Oh well. Here goes another $200 I will never see again. And to think I actually thought that I would save money by owning a bike :biggrin: :laugh: :laugh:

• Member Contributer
If you used it for a regular pickup it would be a pretty steep incline, it would work okay, just a bit steeper than the longer ones.

It does look a bit steep, but if you can back into an incline, like at the side of the road, the angle would be minimal. It looks like a good value.

• Member Contributer
And to think I actually thought that I would save money by owning a bike :biggrin: :laugh: :laugh:

Save money? Owning a bike? Hahahahahahahaha!!! Welcome to the bottomless pit of farkling.

• Member Contributer

Someone on here posted a Youtube video of a guy riding his bike up the ramp and breaking it right in the center. Major bike damage due to the toal failure of the ramp. I had my sights on getting one but after I saw that video, I opted not to get it. Hopefully yours is well made.

• Member Contributer
Someone on here posted a Youtube video of a guy riding his bike up the ramp and breaking it right in the center. Major bike damage due to the toal failure of the ramp. I had my sights on getting one but after I saw that video, I opted not to get it. Hopefully yours is well made.

I know that it is a scary thing. Actually, I've never loaded a bike on a truck before and it intimidates the hek out of me. I have loaded on a trailer, but that's a different story.

According to the website, this ramp is rated at almost 3X the weight of the VFR, so if it does snap, I'll know that it's time to go on a diet :biggrin:

I do have a bit of an incline where the street meets my driveway. I will experiment with it and report on results.

Just really don't want to bother with the trailer anymore.

• Member Contributer

I know that it is a scary thing. Actually, I've never loaded a bike on a truck before and it intimidates the hek out of me. I have loaded on a trailer, but that's a different story.

According to the website, this ramp is rated at almost 3X the weight of the VFR, so if it does snap, I'll know that it's time to go on a diet :biggrin:

I do have a bit of an incline where the street meets my driveway. I will experiment with it and report on results.

I have a Silverado and I know they did a recall on them a while back to replace the cables that support the tailgate. Thats another factor you have to take into consideration when loading your bike.

• Member Contributer

I have a Silverado and I know they did a recall on them a while back to replace the cables that support the tailgate. Thats another factor you have to take into consideration when loading your bike.

How interesting!

I just bought a silverado 2000, Crue cab, 6' bed - hense my fascination with ramps.

Never been a truck guy before, so lots more stuff to learn :laugh:

Thanks for the heads-up about the cables!

• Member Contributer

How interesting!

I just bought a silverado 2000, Crue cab, 6' bed - hense my fascination with ramps.

Never been a truck guy before, so lots more stuff to learn :laugh:

Thanks for the heads-up about the cables!

Contact your local dealer and make sure that the recall has been done. They only have to replace the cables on the tail gate.

• Member Contributer

If you're truck is fairly high it will be a bit intimidating the first couple of times you ride it up. smile.gif The worst part is the transition from ground to ramp, when the front tire starts up the ramp you won't be able to touch with your feet until the rear wheel is close to the ramp. Make sure you hook up the straps to keep the ramp from sliding, it will slide. Luckily I was on the trailer when the ramp slipped out, close call but no damage. Try to modulate your speed and don't stop until you're in the truck and level. If you stop on the ramp you run the risk of spinning the tire trying to get started and that might kick the rear end of the bike out and make a real mess of things. Try to have a spotter handy, just in case.

Good luck.

I bolted my ramp together so it just folds in half and it is very sturdy, very little give when you ride up on it.

• Member Contributer
If you're truck is fairly high it will be a bit intimidating the first couple of times you ride it up. smile.gif The worst part is the transition from ground to ramp, when the front tire starts up the ramp you won't be able to touch with your feet until the rear wheel is close to the ramp. Make sure you hook up the straps to keep the ramp from sliding, it will slide. Luckily I was on the trailer when the ramp slipped out, close call but no damage. Try to modulate your speed and don't stop until you're in the truck and level. If you stop on the ramp you run the risk of spinning the tire trying to get started and that might kick the rear end of the bike out and make a real mess of things. Try to have a spotter handy, just in case.

Good luck.

I bolted my ramp together so it just folds in half and it is very sturdy, very little give when you ride up on it.

Thanks for the advice.

I am psyching myself up for a test when the ramp arrives.

As far as bolting it together, I will buy 4 small c-clamps so I could easily take it apart if need be.

I will never ride a bike into a truck again. I did not have a bad experience with it, but I find it's much more relaxing(and much less risky!) to walk up the ramp next to the bike while feathering the clutch.

• Member Contributer

Stupid FedEx :goofy:

They brought the ramp on Friday afternoon - The time when everyone is at work. With no way to reach out to the driver.

Now, ramp is sitting a couple of miles away from my house in their warehouse waiting for Monday.

The only way to get it delivered is either to take a day off and wait for them to come (any time between 8AM and 6PM) or to ask them to leave it on the porch.

Guess I'll be relying on the kindness of strangers... In Brooklyn... :cool:

UPS is no better when it comes to these things.

How are working people supposed to take delivery of things???

Rant off.

• Member Contributer

Don't feel bad. A friend of mine has a FFL. He uses either UPS or FedEx for shipping guns. One day after returning home from work, the delivery guy left the box being delivered between the screen door and the house door. The dum XXX didn't know it was a gun in the box. No signature or anything, he just left it. My friend was hot when he found out and wanted to have the delivery guy arrested due to not securing the gun in an area accessable to kids. At least your ramp was not stolen from your doorstep or wherever else they could have left it.

• Member Contributer
Don't feel bad. A friend of mine has a FFL. He uses either UPS or FedEx for shipping guns. One day after returning home from work, the delivery guy left the box being delivered between the screen door and the house door. The dum XXX didn't know it was a gun in the box. No signature or anything, he just left it. My friend was hot when he found out and wanted to have the delivery guy arrested due to not securing the gun in an area accessable to kids. At least your ramp was not stolen from your doorstep or wherever else they could have left it.

Yeah, my ex father-in-law had a FFL and UPS used to do that all the time. I always thought it was so weird that they would require license to order the pistols, but UPS could just drop them off at the neighbor's if no one was home. They did that several times.

Archived