Custom Seats - Mr. Ed's Or Sargent

SpiralGray

Question

Has anyone had a custom seat created for their 6th gen by Mr. Ed's?

It seems like the most popular after-market seat for the VFR is the Sargent, but I was having dinner with some local riders a few weeks ago and they all insisted that Mr. Ed's could do a better job than an off-the-rack Sargent. I should mention that I live about a 60-minute ride away from Mr. Ed's, so I could head down there and have him custom make it while I wait.

So, anyone have any experience? Even better, anyone tried both Mr. Ed's and a Sargent?

20 answers to this question

So, anyone have any experience? Even better, anyone tried both Mr. Ed's and a Sargent?

Haven't tried the Mr Ed.. but have had several Corbins... A zx10, two VFR's, CBR929, etc.. loved 'em. When I got my Aprilia, corbin didn't offer a seat, so I bought the Sargent... I'm not thrilled with it, and really think it's not much different than stock. I know lots that love thier Sargent seat, but I don't plan to buy anymore. I may have a custom Corbin next time, or try some of the others, ie Mr Ed.

So, theres one data point to throw in. I'm sure others have more info.

• Member Contributer

I'm considering a redux by Mean City Cycles, myself. I have the sargent, which is nice, but not all that comfortable for me (I'm a big guy).

• Member Contributer

Heck, if you can afford it go with custom. Nothing like having a seat made for your "assets". wink.gif

I have a Sargent and compared to the stocker it is way better. The girl doesn't like it though due to the side stitching as it digs into her inner thighs and on long rides makes her (and therefore me) uncomfortable. So if you are riding solo and plan on keeping that way the Sargent may be less expensive up front as custom usually comes with a nice price tag.

If I could go back and do it again I would have gone custom though. I like having a seat made to my specifications (it's the engineer in me). :biggrin:

My boss has had 4 seats done by mr ed and he says that they are better than what the bike came with but still not perfect. I would look into a russel or a bill Mayer They seem to get good reviews I have a Corbin it is not bad bit could be better.

I left out some pertinent information...

I'm 5' 10" and weight about 175, so pretty average sized. I ride solo. I'd already decided against the Corbin, I've just heard too many bad stories about their service and support.

The thing I like about Mr. Ed is the ability to ride down there and get him to tweak the saddle as he makes it. With the Russel and Bill Mayer I don't have that option.

• Member Contributer

Myself, I have nothing but praise for Seargent. I did a 15 thousand+ kilometer run this past summer.. I was very very happy & comfy the entire time. On many 1000 kilometer or more days I never got sore.

• Member Contributer
I left out some pertinent information...

I'm 5' 10" and weight about 175, so pretty average sized. I ride solo. I'd already decided against the Corbin, I've just heard too many bad stories about their service and support.

The thing I like about Mr. Ed is the ability to ride down there and get him to tweak the saddle as he makes it. With the Russel and Bill Mayer I don't have that option.

I have a BillMayer custom saddle. He will make adjustments to it if it's not right, but you'd have to ship it to Ojai, CA. Mine turned out perfect, but when we had the rear section done for my wife, we went down to the factory while on a CA trip. She loves it, and we do 500 mile days together (but prefer 400).

SO - while I don't know anything about Mr. Ed, I would definitely go with a saddle that is built specifically for my butt. Being able to take your bike and your bottom to Mr Ed's shop is a big plus. A really comfortable seat makes touring a pleasure instead of an endurance ride.

If you do go with Mr. Ed, please post up with a review for us.

I've owned a Corbin and now a Sargeant. I really liked both but the Corbin was too slick for me. I have really like the Sargeant so far (been a year now). The most miles I have done at once was 300 and I never had a problem----very comfy. Plus Sargeant's factory is right here in Jax!

I think the custom route is overpriced-----but that's my 2cents. I got my Sgt for $300 and couldn't be happier.

• Member Contributer

I've owned a couple Corbin's and a Sargent on my 98 VFR. IMO Corbin's are a bit hard especially if you are a bit heavy. (ME). Sargent's tend to go soft. I've done 400 plus miles on stock-both Corbin's- and the Sargent. To be honest I'll probably opt for a different brand next time.

Stock seat isn't half bad with leathers on. I'm going to buy a HT custom seat cover for it for two up rides. Mr. Eds looks pretty interesting though. I'd definitely go with that or Maier instead of the Sargent or Corbin.

For now I'm sticking with the Corbin Smuggler for everyday use. It fits me pretty well and I should concentrate on losing some weight. To me cost matters as I felt ripped off by my first Corbin (totally uncomfortable, and they wanted $175 to fix it)which I traded for the Sargent which I in turn traded for the Corbin smuggler.

Just consider your body wt. sz. and riding style and buy the seat that will be best at what you do 90% of the time and you should be good. Stay close to stock dimensions when ordering a custom. My first corbin crowded me against the tank and cramped my riding leg position. Give yourself room to move around.

• Member Contributer
I've owned a couple Corbin's and a Sargent on my 98 VFR. IMO Corbin's are a bit hard especially if you are a bit heavy. (ME). Sargent's tend to go soft. I've done 400 plus miles on stock-both Corbin's- and the Sargent. To be honest I'll probably opt for a different brand next time.

What I wonder about Sargent though is the makeup of the foam they use in the World Sport Seats. I know with their custom work and I assume all their seats, they offer different foam options and they do have a firmer foam called Super Cell Atomic Foam (closed cell foam) that they can put in the seat area. I did this on the seat for my 'ole CBR1000F and I found it to be very comfy without going soft.

shi96eh5b.jpg

Here is a link to their page on foam upgrades.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/cspfu.htm

Russel FTW.

I just bought a Sargent, and noticed that the profile/shape is very similar to the stock ones. I haven't done any long trips with the sargent but i have done a 3500 mile ride in 4 days (one of which was a SS1k) and there's no complaints. Russel did raise the seat height by about 1/2 inch, which, with my short legs, was not a good thing. But thats just me, I'm shaped like a teapot. If I'm going on a long trip... Russel. Around town, I'd go with the sargent.

I'm about 200 into a new Corbin. The weather has warmed up and I am very pleased. I noticed the difference immediately. They saw 1500 to settle in the new seat, but I already know it was a good move. I will say the customer support could be better. The day after I bought it I got the traditional "Hi this is Travis, thanks for you order, let me know if I can help."....blaaa,blaaa,blaaa, blaaa. I did need his help and replied to his e-mail, and then called the number on it. Not once did he call me back. That $@#sed me off more than anything.

That aside, I am very, very pleased with the Corbin product.

• Member Contributer
I'd like to know more about the custom saddles too like Bill Mayer, Russell etc. Pics too plz!

Got your PM request for photos. OK, here is my BillMayer.com saddle after he did just the rider's portion custom for me. I had him use the heavy vinyl for the cover, what with the weather here on the coast. At this point, the rear of the seat is stock, but Mayer re-covered that, too, and did a beautiful job. My section is also a cross-hatch pattern. When we had Jalene's part custom built, I opted for just a leather-like texture, which is more pliable and helps the seat conform to me better for short-distance rides. The foam is quite firm, which is wonderful for long days. After discussion, they rounded the edges of the bucket for me, which makes shifting from side-to-side very easy, and the slight rise at the edge helps me know exactly where I am as I slide around.

gallery_3463_423_18220.jpg

Saddle by BillMayerSaddles.com

I don't have a good photo of the seat now that both rider and passenger sections are custom, but here is one of the her section being rebuilt. They carved a big dish in it, laid on this huge buckt of firm foam, carved most of that away, glued more foam on, carved again, and so on until the shape was right. Then put it on the bike and checked the fit as they went at least 5 or 6 times, then sent us out on a ride before they fitted the cover to it. A pretty amazing experience. The two Xs are where I had observed some pressure on long rides, and that is why I switched to the softer cover material, which still grips me well but let's me move around at will. The photos below are of when we had Jalene's section done at the factory in Ojai, just north of LA and a beautiful place to ride to and around. The process took about 6 hours, and they even had lunch brought in for us, fabulous BBQ sandwiches!

gallery_3463_423_85975.jpg

Carving away

gallery_3463_423_24541.jpg

Second fitting

gallery_3463_423_131600.jpg

Stretch and staple

I think what I liked most about going with a custom builder was the ability to discuss everything and makes things so that they accommodated my exact form and riding style, as well as my wife's. There was no menu of options to be restricted to - everything is open to possibilities and choices. So whether you choose Mr. Ed or Mayer or others, I feel that the extra expense of going custom (and it isn't much for just the rider's section) is very much worth it.

Being able to get off after 500 miles and be fine, and have my WIFE be fine is priceless.

I like the Corbin I have on the newer bike but damn that thing weighs about 50 pounds. It has a steel pan but I can't figure out why its so damn heavy. Must be foamed lead from China. Is the Sargent heavy?

Archived