Ohlins Spring Rate Advice

Bren

• Member Contributer

Hello all,

I would very much like to hear what spring rate everyone has on their 5th Gen Ohlins rear shock.

Race Tech has it as a 15.22kg/mm, while the standard rate for a 5th is 15.3kg/mm.

Seemingly this shock I bought of E..... is a -79/190 which converts into a 19.??kg spring.

Is this too stiff for a 86kgish medium fast rider who also rides 2 up at times?

How does your spring rate compare, any feedback welcome.

Bren

I have an Ohlins spring that is lighter than the one you have.

I'll have to check the numbers on the spring to be sure, but I think it's a 17kg/mm.

And 15.3 is the correct spring rate for the 5th gen, but if you're heavier than Honda's "Joe Average" test rider, you might need something stiffer.

It's brand new, 0 miles. Let me know if you're interested.

What is that(your weight) around 190 lbs?

On my Vtec w/Ohlins I run a 19kg rear and .95 kg front spring and weigh 195 lbs. so your in the ballpark IMO. Just be sure to change the front spring too if you go stiffer on the front. Stock front is .74 kg. :cool:

• Member Contributer

I'll have to check the numbers on the spring to be sure, but I think it's a 17kg/mm.

And 15.3 is the correct spring rate for the 5th gen, but if you're heavier than Honda's "Joe Average" test rider, you might need something stiffer.

If it's a 19kg spring I'll take it, the 17 I have seems to be working way too hard.

If it's a 19kg spring I'll take it, the 17 I have seems to be working way too hard.

Didn't I get my 15.3kg spring from you to replace the 17kg spring that my Ohlins came with out of the box?

I forgot to check the spring last night, I'm at work now, but I'm *pretty sure* it's a 17kg unit.

• 3 months later...
Hello all,

I would very much like to hear what spring rate everyone has on their 5th Gen Ohlins rear shock.

Race Tech has it as a 15.22kg/mm, while the standard rate for a 5th is 15.3kg/mm.

Seemingly this shock I bought of E..... is a -79/190 which converts into a 19.??kg spring.

Bren

Accordin to Öhlins list of fittment for bikes, a 5th gen have a 15,3kg spring and a 4th gen have a 19,3kg spring.

I just start to wounder do you have a 4th gen Öhlins in your 5th gen? I´m currus, becorse I found a killer deal on a 4th gen Öhlins shock, but I got a 5th gen bike. The shocks have just a 1mm lenth diffrense according to Öhlins.

??????

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
Hello all,

Bren

Hi,

I just had my Ohlins resprung to stock from one step firmer than stock. I weigh about 175 before gear, and the 16+kg spring was WAY too firm for me. I just use the bike for commuting and fun, no track days or serious speed, and the 16 spring didn't budge at the typical speeds at which I ride.

Tom

• Member Contributer
Hello all,

Bren

Hi,

I just had my Ohlins resprung to stock from one step firmer than stock. I weigh about 175 before gear, and the 16+kg spring was WAY too firm for me. I just use the bike for commuting and fun, no track days or serious speed, and the 16 spring didn't budge at the typical speeds at which I ride.

Tom

I finally got around to respringing my Ohlins just last week to the 19.3 kg spring and really like it. I'm 205lb without gear. I spoke with Ohlins USA and they recommended the 18.3 kg spring but I went one step up anyway.

Archived