09 Summit Preview (pic Heavy)

Let me preface this ride report with a disclaimer… :fing02:

Some of you know that I’ve been having a lot of overheating issues with my 6th gen so my dad was kind enough to let me ride his FJR (that he was supposed to ride) and he rode his Wing. With that being said, there are no VFR pictures in this thread. I’m sorry! :pissed:

Also, the pictures don’t even to do justice to the scenery. This is definitely an area you need to see to believe.

This trip has been almost a year in the making. Last September, my dad and I took a last minute 4 day trip through southern Utah and had such a good time that we immediately wanted to do it again, but with more time to visit some places we missed and also to add on southwestern Colorado.

The trip started out with my dad putting the FJR in the back of his truck and the Wing in a trailer and bringing them up form CA to my house in Las Vegas. We got everything unloaded that night and were on the road by 8AM the next morning.

On the schedule for Day 1 – The North Rim of the Grand Canyon, and up into southern Utah.

Some pictures:

Polygamy anyone?:blink: We rode off of the main highway and went through town. There were a few women outside their homes. Everything was as advertised with the women in long dresses like in the 1800’s. I did notice that they waved at us as we drove by which was kinda strange…

DSC00052.jpg

There were some real nice meadows on the road from Jacob Lake going toward the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Another note of relevance is that the pavement on this road was in great condition and the traffic was very light as the North Rim only gets a fraction of the people as the South Rim. :wheel: :wheel: :wheel: There were tons of sweepers, the only thing that was a let down was 45-55 speed limits all the way in :angry: (but no LEO sightings!) :goofy:

DSC00056.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

DSC00060.jpg\

IMG_0013.jpg

Skuut, this one’s for you. Roast beef w/ provolone on marble rye… :lurk:

DSC00058.jpg

Day 2 took us from the intersection of US 89 and Highway 12 in Utah though The Red Canyon, by the entrance to Bryce Canyon (we didn’t go in because we visited last year), Escalante and The Grand Staircase, Capitol Reef, Glen Canyon and the headwaters of Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Four Corners and finally ending in Cortez, CO.

Some pictures:

The Red Canyon is just west of Bryce Canyon and has the hoodoo’s just like inside but not near as many.

DSC00063.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

Escalante and The Grand Staircase are extremely beautiful with rugged terrain and sandstone mountains that I don’t think you’ll see anywhere else in the world…

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

Highway 12 cut into the sandstone mountains

DSC00074.jpg

The view from Boulder Mountain

DSC00081.jpg

The Castle @ Capitol Reef

DSC00083.jpg

More Capitol Reef

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00085.jpg

Southern Utah must be a geologist dream comes true. I was truly amazed at how quickly the surroundings changed. One minute everything would be lush and green and the next it would be very arid and dry.

I thought these hills were interesting because nothing grew on them. This is just a few miles east of Capitol Reef.

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

Glen Canyon and Lake Powell

DSC00088.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

When you turn onto highway 260 toward Mexican Hat, UT and the signs tell you that the pavement ends, believe them. I can’t believe I forgot to take a picture of the road and how it was cut into the side of a cliff to get down to the valley, but here are a couple pictures from a turn out. We were able to test the FJR and Wing’s dual sport capabilities…

DSC00090.jpg

DSC00091.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

We also ran into a couple of brothers from Switzerland that had come to the US and rented some HOGS to go tour the states for 3 months. Vacation of a lifetime if you ask me (but not on a HOG!!!)

Monument Valley

DSC00094.jpg

Day 3 took us across Lizard Head Pass, then back across the Million Dollar Highway to Durango, CO and then East to South Fork CO.

Some pics

Outside Dolores, CO

DSC00096.jpg

Lizard Head Pass

DSC00098.jpg

Ophir, CO

DSC00100.jpg

RRW, this one’s for you…

DSC00101.jpg

Ouray, CO

DSC00102.jpg

This is an example where the pictures don’t do justice. This creek was just south of Ouray.

DSC00105.jpg

DSC00106.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

We stopped for lunch in Silverton, CO @ Grumpy’s.

DSC00113.jpg

This place was a lot of fun, and what really made it is this guy playing saloon style piano.

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00114.jpg

Day 4 took us from South Fork, CO north to highway 50 and east toward Salida. We were making excellent time so we headed northeast toward Denver and called it a night in Idaho Springs.

S couple pics

DSC00117.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

Some BIG HORN SHEEP along side highway 50

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

Monarch Pass

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

Day 5 took us from Idaho Springs, across Loveland Pass, back I-70 through the Eisenhower tunnels, southwest across Independence Pass through and through Aspen. We ran into some rain in Carbondale and rode in it until Hotchkiss when we called it a night.

The pics

Loveland Pass

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

Independence Pass

DSC00123.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

DSC00125.jpg

DSC00126.jpg

DSC00127.jpg

DSC00128.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

DSC00133.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

More dual sporting on the FJR

DSC00122.jpg

Day 6 started in Hotchkiss down the 92 through The Black Canyon, west to Montrose for a new rear tire, south to Ridgeway and then west to Moab

The pics

The rain continued all morning so we had to take it real slow through the Black Canyon, but the clouds in the canyon made for some real cool views.

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

The rain brought snow to the mountain passes that we had just ridden a few days before…

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

Day 7 was the shortest riding day for us. We went through Arches and Dead Horse Point because we had missed both the year before, took the highway that parallels the Colorado River north to I-70 then headed west to Green River, UT for the night.

The pics

Delicate Arch

IMG_0134.jpg

DSC00137.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

Devils Garden

DSC00143.jpg

Dead Horse Point (the mini Grand Canyon)

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

Day 8 started in Green River, UT, took highway 72 toward Loa, up across Fish Lake and then back to the I-70 near Salina, UT. We took the I-70 west to I-15 where we took a tour of Cove Fort, UT then headed south to Beaver UT. We took the road that goes to Elk Meadows Ski resort east until the pavement ended and went back to I-15. Once back to I-15 the initial plan was to stay the night in Cedar City, but both my dad and I were getting tired of staying in hotels so we opted to just ride all the way home that afternoon.

The pic (we had seen all this before so there weren’t too many stops this day…)

San Rafael Reef is just west of Green River on I-70.

DSC00145.jpg

That’s how the trip ended. 8 days and 2800+ great miles!

• Member Contributer

WOW

That ain't Ohio baby!

Truly nice trip...

You are blessed to be able to spend thatg kind of life with your Father. I would trade a lot of things for that :fing02:

No Rain? JK

Thanks for the pics and details

• Member Contributer

Gotta agree, how awesome to be able to do a trip like that with your Dad, Magnificent :biggrin: :pissed:

Fantastic ride report Todd, maybe we could get a crew together one day to do some of what you've done, the pics look great as do "most" of the roads, certainally Utah and Colarado have some of the best this country if not the world has to offer, simply breathtaking.

Great job on the report and good luck with the VFR, hope you'll be back up and riding a trouble free Red Lady shortly :unsure:

• Member Contributer
Those are bighorn sheep, not goats. These are mountain goats:

goat2.jpg

LMAO

That second goat is looking at the photographer with the message "WTF are you looking at azzhole"

• Member Contributer

Thanks - Some of the best roads I have been in the West....................but I am still looking.

2200325870099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

The Wing works pretty well on these roads too. Big distances!!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

FANTASTIC PICS and WRITE-UP.........even a "FOOD PIC".................THANKS FOR SHARING................ :pissed: :beer:

Archived