Wholly Calamity Scream Insanity

Guest OCMSRZR

IMG_0617.jpg

Sport tourin folks, that was what this ride was all about. Seeing the parts of Oh-re-gun that one day trips don't make it to -- in one day. Here is the route. Oregon turns into a semi arid climate fought with slot canyons east of Mt. Hood. And anywhere that doesn't have water doesn't (or shouldn't) have many people, and without people there is no po-po, and without pohlice there is fun. I'm talking 600 miles in one go, 3 gas stops, AND only 3 dozen cars for 400 miles. Combine that with county highways built for loggers and you've got the VFRgasm.

Things start off well enough with gyro educed food poisoning. 3 colons blows, gourmet dinner, and 10 beers later and i'm not out of the house till 11 am. Well that sucked, but Rowena Loop didn't.

IMG_0578.jpg

Until i get back onto 84 and realize that i've left my glasses on top of the pass when taking the above fashion shot. Well guess i'd better ride back up, and back through the gravel leaned over. One more time please, for a third round. I must love the feeling of geese flying out of my ass.

Things seemed fine till my RD starts flashing low voltage, and yeah, the R/R smelled like Yankee stadium sausage. With my sense of adventure firmly intact i peel south off the interstate at the Dalles. Through Dufur -- that's doof-hur, rhymes with doo-doo.

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

Deschutes is the shit -- or is it duh-shits?

IMG_0584.jpg

The Rez is the shit.

IMG_0585.jpg

This road just plain shits.

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

No gas in Kent, no gas in Shaniko, no gas in Antelope, but lots in fossil. Like 5.35 gallons worth.

IMG_0594.jpg

Fossil to Monument is holy shitbird batman.

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

Ukiah -- thats you-keh-uh.

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

395 is where the VFRgasm occured. Probably the best picture i've every taken outside, and just plain shitty to boot.

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

And then jackass passes me in his lumberyota, i catch up with him, and he finds a way to catch up with me as i bounce off of the end of fourth gear. I pass this guy deep into felony territory and he keeps right up in his shitbox. Holy hell.

IMG_0639.jpg

Turns out his name is Thad. He's an environmental lumberman with multiple graduate degrees. Country as a chicken coop and loving every minute of it. Fuck yeah Thad.

The Friday night Rodeo Carnival in Pendleton was just wayyyyyyy too much to take in. Figured i'd better make in home in 2:20

This ride was just plain retahded and i've got developmentally disabled folks in my family

Thanks to speedgeek for getting me through Monument

With all this shit-talking i'm going to go -- um -- yeah

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

• Member Contributer
Cool trip report. I especially like the pictures with the VFR and the sunset! :fing02:

-ditto- good fo tog gra pheeee ! I tried that in Death Valley one time. Heat melted my plastics ! Then me.

Timely post/ride report. I just got back to Boise today after a four day trip into the wilds of n.e. Oregon. Went to the ST-N meet in John Day, Oregon, after a ride up to Hood River, Oregon on Thursday.

Few places I've ridden can match this area for twisties and scenery. Just beware of the deer. One of our group had a collision with one this morning south of Heppner and probably totalled his Hayabusa. He's ok, out of the hospital, but beat to hell. And he's a Canadian.

That's definitely central/eastern Oregon for ya. Dryer than a popcorn fart!

You get to the west side of the cascades and it's nothin' but trees and green, green, green!

No shortage of twisties on either side :unsure:

Archived