How To Fab Up A Rear Sprocket Guard?

sckego

Question

• Member Contributer

I installed a Scottoiler two months ago, and it's great except for the fact that it slings oil everywhere. I have it set to the lowest recommended flow rate (1 drop per minute) and it still dirties up my tailsection and license plate. One of my friends has a license plate mount that bends around the rear sprocket (see here) that would seem to work perfectly to catch the excess fling, but I can't find one for the VFR. How would you knowledgeable people go about fabbing up something like this? I don't need a license plate mount, just a small piece of sheetmetal or something to catch the fling. I don't think mounting it to the axle would be a good idea... maybe something coming off of the exisiting chain guard? Any suggestions would be appreciated...

6 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
Here are some pics for inspiration. No idea how exactly it is mounted. Excess oil escapes from a small hole in the bottom of the chain guard.

img1226qe7.th.jpg img1227cd5.th.jpg

Neato!

It looks like it uses bolts into the underside of the swingarm where the "fin" goes. I would also imagine a bracket mounting under where the eccentric pinch bolt is, too.

Vfrworld has this pic and text, originally from the Texas VFR Garage:

Bruce Armstrong made a custom chain case for his VFR 800. The jpg shows the cardboard buck, the wood mold and the first copy along wih the final chain case on the bike. The chain case is attached with a small wing bolt at the top and velcro at the bottom. Bruce said that his chain remained perfectly clean when used with a Scottoiler. The chain has not need adjustment in 9000 miles. Well done Bruce!

chaincase.jpg

Archived