Bent Fork Tube

Guest buzzbeater

Guest buzzbeater

Well I finally had time to take a closer look last night and one tube is definitely bent. Still not sure about the other. So I'm asking for suggestions on where to go from here. I'm waiting on a front stem stand so I can work on it easier.

Should I assume that the damping rod is bent to? I just hate to buy the entire fork tube assy at $500. Any suggustions or tips would be much appreciated.

We need to know or better yet, see just how bent it is. If it's a slight bend, it can be fixed by someplace like GMD Computrak. If you do a quick Google search, it will turn up a list of GMD shops that you can call.

I will see if I can get both tubes out tonight and take some pics. I know the left tube has a bow in it of about inch or so. But that's just eye balling it of course.

What about Aftershocks? Looks like they do straightening and more? I could go ahead and bite the bullet and do valves and springs while its apart.

• Member Contributer
What about Aftershocks? Looks like they do straightening and more? I could go ahead and bite the bullet and do valves and springs while its apart.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable using a bent and fixed fork. Front forks need to be perfectly straight. But I also trust no one to work on my bike without screwing it up.

• Member Contributer
Should I assume that the damping rod is bent to? I just hate to buy the entire fork tube assy at $500. Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.

I've torn down a few badly mangled forks and it's surprising how far the tube can be bent while leaving the cartridge and rebound rod straight.

Also check for bottoming/top-out damage when inspecting the cartridges.

Should I assume that the damping rod is bent to? I just hate to buy the entire fork tube assy at $500. Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.

I've torn down a few badly mangled forks and it's surprising how far the tube can be bent while leaving the cartridge and rebound rod straight.

%201.gif

You can also just buy the fork tube from Honda ($100-150) and just rebuild each leg with all the remaining parts. :fing02:

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable using a bent and fixed fork. Front forks need to be perfectly straight. But I also trust no one to work on my bike without screwing it up.

There is a runout spec on the tubes, if the tubes can be straightened to within the spec, thye should be fine.

%201.gif

You can also just buy the fork tube from Honda ($100-150) and just rebuild each leg with all the remaining parts. :fing02:

This is my current take on it right now. Just buy the tubes and rebuild each one. I've spent so much money on it already I would hate not changging the springs and valves but I don't think I can afford it.

Springs are $80 from Sonic Springs, try then first then you can do the valving later. The important thing is getting back on the road. Try to hit a bunch of singles instead of going for the home run.

• Member Contributer

Forks generally can be straightened if they are not actually creased. It's done all the time and does not result in the roads being littered with snapped stanchion tubes... wink.gif

Ciao,

[quote name='buzzbeater' date='Aug 8 2008, 10:58 AM' post='536957'

This is my current take on it right now. Just buy the tubes and rebuild each one. I've spent so much money on it already I would hate not changging the springs and valves but I don't think I can afford it.

You could always just buy a set of F4/F4i forks(front end) which are fully adjustable, slide right into the 6th gen trees, you can use the VFR front wheel/rotors, but you will eliminate the linked brakes and use the F4/F4i master cyl., calipers & front fender. :fing02:

Sonic springs $80, Racetech $110. Is it safe to assume that .90 spring is going to be different between the two?

No. The only way to know for sure would be to buy both and have a machine shop check the rates on each for you.

Bailey, wonder if the F4/F4i upper tubes and cartridges could be installed on the VFR lowers? If the cartridge bolts in at the bottom, you'd have to disable one of the damping circuits, and it would make the fork shorter, but you could keep the linked brakes?

I want to know more about a f4 or f4i front end on the vfr. I thought just the internals fit into the vfr forks.

The f4i shock will also fit the vtec, right?

Bailey, wonder if the F4/F4i upper tubes and cartridges could be installed on the VFR lowers? If the cartridge bolts in at the bottom, you'd have to disable one of the damping circuits, and it would make the fork shorter, but you could keep the linked brakes?

You can use either upper tube if you wish, the VFR have like a 6mm cartridge bolt and the F4i have a 8mm, but the fork leg on the VFR is machined the same as the F4i so all you would have to do drill out the leg bottom or just use the VFR valve assy.

The F4/F4i tubes are shorter, but their internals (rebound) have been used in Vtec forks so if you had straight VFR upper tubes you can just use the cartridge(rebound assy) on the VFR forks to maintain the linked set-up.

Doug, yes several people has installed a F4/F4i shock on a vtec and Dale(turtlecreek) was the most recent and went ahead and had it revalved/respung for the VFR. Unless your a light weight there too softly sprung stock.

Anyone familiar with these guys?

Frame Straight

551 Enigma Code Way, Friendsville, Tn. 37737

Prices seem a little high for tube straightening.

Archived