Looking For A Zumo 550

JHKolb

• Member Contributer

Anyone bought a Zumo 550 recently that good a sweet deal?

I want to get one soon but at all the retail locations they are priced full list. Anyone bought on-line recently that could recommend a vendor. Any on-line vendors to stay away from?

TIA

I ordered one from http://www.techondigital.com for 489.90 to my door. However, They said they were backordered and would not have any for 3-4 weeks which would make them available 8/13/08. Obviously that date has not got here yet, so i don't know if they are feeding me a line of bull or if it is the truth. For that price though, i am willing to wait and see. If you have been shopping around you know that that price is over 50% off! So i am willing to bend a little. The buyer reviews were all good, but that can be fabricated. We'll see i guess. One other thing, when i ordered, they made me call them to varify the order. I am pretty sure this was a ploy to try and up sell me a bunch of acc. like a high speed SD card for 179.00! My buddy has a zumo 550 with no SD card and he says it is fine w/o it. so i passed on all of his sales efforts.

Hopes this helps.

• Member Contributer
I ordered one from http://www.techondigital.com for 489.90 to my door. However, They said they were backordered and would not have any for 3-4 weeks which would make them available 8/13/08. Obviously that date has not got here yet, so i don't know if they are feeding me a line of bull or if it is the truth. For that price though, i am willing to wait and see. If you have been shopping around you know that that price is over 50% off! So i am willing to bend a little. The buyer reviews were all good, but that can be fabricated. We'll see i guess. One other thing, when i ordered, they made me call them to varify the order. I am pretty sure this was a ploy to try and up sell me a bunch of acc. like a high speed SD card for 179.00! My buddy has a zumo 550 with no SD card and he says it is fine w/o it. so i passed on all of his sales efforts.

Hopes this helps.

Hmm, lots of bad reviews on that place . . .

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/TheDigitalNerds

I will check out the local BestBuy tonite and see what they have. Last time I checked though they were priced at $900 sad.gif

WOW!!!! Thanks for the warning man. Canceling the order as we speak!! Well i did google the part number and got results for 699 all day long. Not as good as 489, but better then 900. if i remember that 699 price was from some reputable businesses.

• Member Contributer
WOW!!!! Thanks for the warning man. Canceling the order as we speak!! Well i did google the part number and got results for 699 all day long. Not as good as 489, but better then 900. if i remember that 699 price was from some reputable businesses.

Yea, I have seen a lot of the $489 pricing, but they are all bait/switch scams, and some are reconditioned Japanese units shipped over to the states. One reason I love American Express for on-line orders, if I ever have a problem I can just call and dispute it and AmEx has always refunded me the money.

This is why I am always leary of buying on-line unless it is from a site with a real store (like BestBuy, Costco, etc.). There are some good deals from on-line vendors, so i was hoping someone had success with a deal recently from a reputable site.

Well Amazon is selling it for 687. with free shipping. I think that is about as cheap as you will get, using a reputable co. I used that review service that was in your last email and everyone i entered has horrible reviews except dell and amazon. Amazon was cheaper so that is who i am going with.

• Member Contributer

Best Buy is discounting them as low as $449 if you can find one (most touring discussion boards have had this info listed for a week or so-there has been a lot of people looking for them at that price)....I purchased mine from PCNation (very good company) with free 2-3 day fex ex shipping for $680 in Mar 2007. I think they have them now for $646. If you can find one cheaper great, but if not, PCNation is a good choice plus you'll have it for the weekend.

Corey

01VFR

Best Buy is discounting them as low as $449 if you can find one (most touring discussion boards have had this info listed for a week or so-there has been a lot of people looking for them at that price)....I purchased mine from PCNation (very good company) with free 2-3 day fex ex shipping for $680 in Mar 2007. I think they have them now for $646. If you can find one cheaper great, but if not, PCNation is a good choice plus you'll have it for the weekend.

Corey

01VFR

I took your advice and bought it from pc nation. They had a deal for overnight shipping and my total was still cheaper than amazon, so i am happy and i will be palying with my new GPS tomorrow!!!

• Member Contributer

Wow, I actually got a good deal?

I ordered mine from BroadwayPhoto.com and it was just under 700 including a 3 year extended waranty to my door.

I googled them to look up the website and in that same search some sites were calling them a bait and switch operation, but they really were pretty straig ahead...... except for the prices on the SD cards.

TIP: Go to staples and pick up a SD card, or go to tigerdirect.com or newegg.com if you are in no rush.

So, the bad....... they charges for shipping insurance on this thing, which does not mean free shipping. They had the unit drop shipped from someone else and it got to me a few days after my extended waranty, this is when I called them and bitched till they refunded me some of my shipping insurance money. My unit died on my road trip, after two months of ownership.

The good..... the price, the waranty, it did get to me within a week I think, when it died it was a proper US model so the Garmin waranty was valid. (non-US models are not covered under the Garmin waranty)

I would probably order from them again.

• Member Contributer

If price is a big factor for you maybe you should look into getting a Garmin 2610. This particular model was discontinued several years ago but you can still find them new for around $300. They are perfect for the motorcycle since they are waterproof and run off a flash card instead of having an internal hard drive. I've had mine for 5 years and absolutely love it. I bought the optional motorcycle power kit and have it attached to my bike using a stem mount. The only downside is that there is no internal battery. For me it's not a problem since I rarely need a GPS off my bike.

Regards,

Rollin

• Member Contributer

Well I checked all the local Best Buy stores and they are all out of the Zumo and on-line they are still $899 and backordered for at least 2 weeks.

I checked some of the sites people suggested and finally ordered from a site called Comp-U-Plus. They had decent customer reviews on BizRate and I was able to use Google Checkout for some additional security. I ordered the Zumo 550, 3-yr Warranty and 2nd Day shipping and the total was $676. PCNation was a bit more on the unit price but wanted twice as much for the same warranty (even by the same warranty company, so go figure on their pricing) so their best price would have been around $700 even with the special shipping offer they have.

Hopefully all will go as planned and i will have this unit by the weekend so I can play with it a bit before i head to upstate NY next week.

• Member Contributer

OK, So I ordered a Zumo 550 late morning yesterday from Comp-U-Plus.com, prince for the unit was $624.99, 3 year Warranty was another $21.99 and I went for 2-day shipping which was $29.45 for a total of $676.43 AND the unit has already arrived, actually came today before 3 PM (EST), that was a pretty good turn around from placing the order to actual receipt. I check the tracking number at UPS (which was emailed to me within 1 hour of placing my order) and the package was dropped at the depot by noon yesterday and at my door by 3 today - SWEET.

Unit is all unpacked, flash updated, registered, and loaded my first Route for my vacation trip next week (Upstate NY). Got it mounted on the VFR now and will play with it the next few days to make sure everything works, and that I can make it work (I hate reading manuals, so I'll skim back thru BonusVFR's Tales of Zumo thread again - LOL).

So if anyone is looking this Comp-U-Plus web site has done good by me so far, worth a try if you are looking.

OK, So I ordered a Zumo 550 late morning yesterday from Comp-U-Plus.com, prince for the unit was $624.99, 3 year Warranty was another $21.99 and I went for 2-day shipping which was $29.45 for a total of $676.43 AND the unit has already arrived, actually came today before 3 PM (EST), that was a pretty good turn around from placing the order to actual receipt. I check the tracking number at UPS (which was emailed to me within 1 hour of placing my order) and the package was dropped at the depot by noon yesterday and at my door by 3 today - SWEET.

Unit is all unpacked, flash updated, registered, and loaded my first Route for my vacation trip next week (Upstate NY). Got it mounted on the VFR now and will play with it the next few days to make sure everything works, and that I can make it work (I hate reading manuals, so I'll skim back thru BonusVFR's Tales of Zumo thread again - LOL).

So if anyone is looking this Comp-U-Plus web site has done good by me so far, worth a try if you are looking.

Did you mount it with the hardware that came with it? If you did, do you mind posting a picture?

• Member Contributer

Did you mount it with the hardware that came with it? If you did, do you mind posting a picture?

Take a look at "Tales of Zumo" electonics thread - loads of pictures of various mountings,

• Member Contributer

I mounted it exactly like BonusVFR did in his thread . . .

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=29992&hl=

Now I need to find some better software for route planning and management, the software that comes with it (City Navigator NT) kind sux for anything other than major roadways. I already found a few backroads missing and I would like USGS maps as well so I will be able to use this on a DualSport/Adv Bike I hope to get soon.

And I know there is a POI database out there someplace with all the Honda Shops in it which could come in handy on long trips.

Already loaded this background screen

gallery_12385_4049_10261.jpg

Zumo VFR Splash Screen

I almost fell prey to those phish websites too. Then, I remember and old saying my Grandfather told me, "Son a fool and his money are soon parted!" which reminded me of if it's too good to be true, it usually is. Then I read all the bad reviews and shady practices they have.

In the end, PC nation earned my business and I was very satisfied.

• Member Contributer

You can save some money by purchasing a Garmin Nuvi. It has more features than the Zumo and it has a bigger screen. You can get various mounts for the Nuvi on the web. Ram Mounts has a cool one that mounts in the neck of the bike. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
You can save some money by purchasing a Garmin Nuvi. It has more features than the Zumo and it has a bigger screen. You can get various mounts for the Nuvi on the web. Ram Mounts has a cool one that mounts in the neck of the bike. :biggrin:

Yea, I looked at those, but I wanted Bluetooth and none of the Nuvi's have both Bluetooth and are weatherproof for the bike. The Nuvi 500/550 are bluetooth but not weatherproof (at $500) and the lowest model Nuvi (760) with Bluetooth is not listed as weatherproof.

For all weather use and for all the features the Zumo fits the bill - just wish it were cheaper.

Only the Nuvi 760 will allow you to download routes, which is a MUST HAVE feature of a motorcycle GPS in my opinion...but the 760 isn't weatherproof and you can't use it w/ gloves on like you can with the Zumo.

I had a Nuvi 350 mounted to my bike and upgraded to the Zumo. Much better!!

• Member Contributer

The nuvi 550 is waterproof...see the spec's below....right off of Garmin's website. Price BTW: $499.99

Physical & Performance:

Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 4.21"W x 3.35"H x .9"D (10.7 x 8.5 x 2.3 cm)

Display size, WxH: 2.8"W x 2.1"H (7.2 x 5.4 cm); 3.5" diag (8.9 cm)

Display resolution, WxH: 320 x 240 pixels

Display type: QVGA color antiglare TFT with white backlight

Weight: 7.6 ounces (215 g)

Battery: user-replaceable, rechargeable lithium-ion

Battery life: up to 8 hours

Waterproof: yes (IPX7)

High-sensitivity receiver: yes

RoHS version available: yes

Maps & Memory:

Basemap: yes

Preloaded maps: yes

Ability to add maps: yes

Built-in memory: internal solid state

Accepts data cards: microSDâ„¢ card (not included)

Waypoints/favorites/locations: 1000

Routes: 10

Features:

Voice prompts (e.g. "Turn right in 500 ft."): yes (internal speaker)

Speaks street names (e.g. "Turn right ON ELM STREET in 500 ft.") : no

Speech recognition (navigate with voice commands): no

3-D map view: yes

Auto sort multiple destinations (provides most direct route): yes

Auto re-route (fast off-route and detour recalculation): yes

Choice of route setup (faster time, shorter distance, off road): yes

Route avoidance (avoid highways, tolls etc.): yes

Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): yes

Hands-free calling with Bluetooth® wireless technology: no

FM traffic compatible: yes

XM® Navtraffic (includes basic weather) & Radio for U.S. compatible: no

MSN® Direct for U.S. compatible: yes

Multimode (switches modes to drive, hike, bike or boat): yes

Where Am I? (find closest hospitals, police & gas stations, nearest address & intersection): yes

Garmin Locateâ„¢ (marks position when removed from windshield mount): no

Photo navigation (navigate to geotagged photos): yes

MP3 player: no

Audio book player: no

Picture viewer: yes

Garmin Garageâ„¢ (select car-shaped icons for map navigation): yes

World travel clock, currency & unit converter, calculator: yes

Touchscreen: yes

Qwerty or ABC keyboard (choose keyboard layout): no

Remote control: no

FM transmitter: no

Headphone jack/audio line-out: no

Dead reckoning: no

Garmin Lockâ„¢ (anti-theft feature): yes

Motorcycle-friendly: yes

Geocaching-friendly: yes

Additional: This USB mass storage device is compatible with Windows® 2000 or later and Mac® OS X 10.4 or later.

The nuvi 550 is waterproof...see the spec's below....right off of Garmin's website. Price BTW: $499.99

Ok.. well the Zumo 450 (w/o bluetooth, like the Nuvi 550) is only $399...

I paid $573 for the 550 which has bluetooth... and more importantly, it comes with a motorcycle mount including all RAM hardware required AND a car mount... and like I mentioned earlier, changes its input to a more glove-friendly setup when in the motorcycle mount. The Nuvi says it's motorcycle friendly, but the Zumo is the only one that has the motorcycle glove-friendly input mode...

• Member Contributer

Tue...BTW if anyone finds a motorcycle mount for the nuvi 550 please post it here...finding one is harder than finding hair on a frog. :biggrin:

Archived