4th Gen Fork Swap Options

Guest ReZn0r

Question

Guest ReZn0r

Hi all

I´m the owner of a 4th gen VFR and some monthas ago I mead it some mods. I changed the rear shock to use a CBR929 shock. I had to make a little modification in the upper zone to up the bike a little. I´m very happy with this mod, but probably I need another spring more hard, but seems imposible to buy.

In the front I upgrade the front oil fork and the more important, I changed all de brake system and I mount calipers, hoses and pump from a CBR929 ( I think the same calipers than CBR600 F4i) I had to made a custom supports for the calipers and I´m not totally happy with this due a litlle offset that make the wheel can´t move totally free. Is only a little friction but it don´t like to me, so I´m considering to change the front forks to put the calipers OK and obtain more regulations in suspension. I was reading all I could find about this kind of changes and I want to know if this is possible.

My premises are:

I don´t want to change: brake system (929 one) --> Calipers, hose, pump

I don´t want to change: wheel and brake discs (VFR 4Th gen ones)

I was reading about F4i forks swap, but the bars are 43 mm diameter, and mine 41mm, so I must change clamps too or machined the origianl ones. I don´t know if this is posible If I must change the clamps, wich can fit on my bike without problems?

Any other idea about swap? Another front swap that fit and can carry my calipers?

Many thx in advance and sorry for my english

18 answers to this question

Hi ReZnOr,

For 43mm clamps you could probably fit the following:

- 6th Gen VFR800 (from 2002 onwards)

- F4i

- CBR1100XX Superblackbird

I think that considering you wish to keep your VFR front wheel, getting 43mm F4i forks and tripleclamps might be your best option.

CBR929 tripleclamps will also bolt in; the 929 forks are a fair bit shorter than the VFR forks though, so you might have groundclearance problems if you go that way.

Hi ReZnOr,

For 43mm clamps you could probably fit the following:

- 6th Gen VFR800 (from 2002 onwards)

- F4i

- CBR1100XX Superblackbird

I think that considering you wish to keep your VFR front wheel, getting 43mm F4i forks and tripleclamps might be your best option.

CBR929 tripleclamps will also bolt in; the 929 forks are a fair bit shorter than the VFR forks though, so you might have groundclearance problems if you go that way.

Many thanks. Maybe the better option is the VFR800 tripleclamps i fit in my chasis. I suppouse the F4i make me force too much the position. Anyway it´s no easy to adquire all the stuff at affordable price in Spain, so I´ll search all the options and I´ll decide after that. If finally make the swap, I promise pics ;-)

Anyway I´ll begin to search for F4I forks This part I think is decided

Guest vfrrider

If you want to go USD, 929/954 triples will work.

Want to keep your 4th gen wheels and rotors, see my pics. 2000 R1 forks, axle turned down to fit VFR bearings. Gold tubes look great, R1 calipers are 4 piston, stock wheel and rotors.

Just an idea.

Larry

VFRrider

CBR600 F3 forks are a direct swap into a 4th gen. The only difference is the length of the axle. The wheel and rotors are identical, and the VFR calipers mount without modification.

CBR600 F3 forks are a direct swap into a 4th gen. The only difference is the length of the axle. The wheel and rotors are identical, and the VFR calipers mount without modification.

Yes, I know, but I don´t want to have the original calipers on my bike. It sucks. I´m very, very happy with the work of the 929 brakes. :angry:

Yes, I know, but I don´t want to have the original calipers on my bike. It sucks. I´m very, very happy with the work of the 929 brakes. :fing02:

Then have your adapters redone so they work right... that'll be you cheapest option overall... where is the rotor touching the caliper? Inside, outside, top, ??? Maybe you can shim the rotors off the wheel by a half a millimeter to get your clearance?

Yes, I know, but I don´t want to have the original calipers on my bike. It sucks. I´m very, very happy with the work of the 929 brakes. :fing02:

Then have your adapters redone so they work right... that'll be you cheapest option overall... where is the rotor touching the caliper? Inside, outside, top, ??? Maybe you can shim the rotors off the wheel by a half a millimeter to get your clearance?

The caliper is not touching the disc but there are an slight desaligment, I think. I´ve tried to use spacers, etc.. but I can´t put it 100%. I go to circuit sometimes and a improve in suspension will be fine too, so I´ll try the mod ;-)

The caliper is not touching the disc but there are an slight desaligment, I think. I´ve tried to use spacers, etc.. but I can´t put it 100%. I go to circuit sometimes and a improve in suspension will be fine too, so I´ll try the mod ;-)

So which side is touching?

You can use paper gasket material from any auto parts store, it's dirt cheap and could fix your problem at least until you get your new front end... why keep wearing parts until you get around to improving things?

So which side is touching?

You can use paper gasket material from any auto parts store, it's dirt cheap and could fix your problem at least until you get your new front end... why keep wearing parts until you get around to improving things?

This is true. I think the problem is a desaligment between pads and disc that make. I don´t know if I´m explaining well, but english is not my usual languaje

This is true. I think the problem is a desaligment between pads and disc that make. I don´t know if I´m explaining well, but english is not my usual languaje

I think I understand what you are saying, that either the pads on the insides(close to the wheel) or the pads on the outsides (the two farthest from the wheel) are touching the rotor as it turns.

What I'm trying to say, is that if the rotor is rubbing on the inside pads, you can remove the brake rotor from your wheel, and reinstall it with spacers made from paper gasket material. So > wheel - gasket - rotor. This will move the rotor away from the wheel, and more into the middle of the caliper.

Honda used paper gasket "washers" on earlier CBR models although for a different reason.

• Member Contributer
My premises are:

I was reading about F4i forks swap, but the bars are 43 mm diameter, and mine 41mm, so I must change clamps too or machined the origianl ones. I don´t know if this is posible If I must change the clamps, wich can fit on my bike without problems?

Any other idea about swap? Another front swap that fit and can carry my calipers?

If you want to keep 41mm triple clamps, 929 calipers and 4th-gen wheel & disks, you've just described the set-up currently on my bike, which was accomplished with VTR1000F forks. I had to do some minor grinding on the calipers for clearance, but otherwise it was a simple swap.

Ciao,

My premises are:

If you want to keep 41mm triple clamps, 929 calipers and 4th-gen wheel & disks, you've just described the set-up currently on my bike, which was accomplished with VTR1000F forks. I had to do some minor grinding on the calipers for clearance, but otherwise it was a simple swap.

Ciao,

Thx Another interesting option. I follow searching for affordable parts ;-)

Ciao,

I have a question for you. Did you change the sprimgos of VTR for the VFR original ones? I was seeing the spring rate and the diference is 0.585 kg/mm for VTR Vs. 0.701 Kg/mm for the VFR... I think the lenght and diameter of the springs are the same..

• Member Contributer

VTR forks don't have any compression adjustment and in stock form suffer from hydraulic lock and too light springs. I wouldn't consider these an upgrade except for the ability to adapt better brake calipers.

VTR forks don't have any compression adjustment and in stock form suffer from hydraulic lock and too light springs. I wouldn't consider these an upgrade except for the ability to adapt better brake calipers.

Yes, I agree with you, but the upgrade of the brakes is very imoportant for me. If I adquire VTR forks at affordableprice, I´ll spent the rest of the money upgrading this forks. The lacks you say was known for me ;-)

• Member Contributer

Sorry, I wasn't considering that anyone would swap parts, but not fettle the parts! Mine are re-springed and re-valved using parts from Race-Tech. VTR1000F forks were pretty poor in OEM configuration, but "hydraulic lock"? They are boring, standard 20mm cartridge forks. What is different, internally, compared to F3 forks? Are you talking about the HMAS valves? (See http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/highspeed.htm) In any case, by re-valving with Gold Valves (which I would do to any new forks anyway) you replace the potentially problematic OEM valving, so the forks will be as good as any others using similar construction and design.

People have also been known to swap VTR1000F fork bottoms onto their OEM VFR forks, with or without F3 internals.

Ciao,

What needs to be done to the axle? Would this be a direct swap to a 3rd gen as well? TIA

• Member Contributer

F3 axle is longer, due to four pinch bolts vs. two on the VFR forks. You just use the F3 axle instead. Gen 3 wd be the same.

Ciao,

Archived