Soft Bags.

Ranger77

• Member Contributer

Ok I have my can high mounted and I'm heading out of town tomorrow. I have the cortech saddle/tail bags http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42494

The bag is pretty close. I guess my can is stainless steel. Doesnt seem to get "too" hot but sitting at a red light I'm sure it gets up there. Guess the real problem is the "non-scratch" padding on the bags. I just dont want to be riding and a fire is behind me. Literally.

I have a set of soft bags I use on my 6th gen. The back of the bag actually touches the heat shield on the stock exhaust. It has not burnt at all even in summer heat.

All I know is that 5th gen stock muffler does not get hot enough to melt my RKA saddle bags. My right bag sits less than an inch away from the muffler.

gallery_11554_3314_20251.jpg

Hate to break it to you but that is a 4th Gen.

• Member Contributer

I ride with these bags all the time commuting to work and have not had any problems. The will smell a bit at first but thats it. Works really great.

I also sometimes ride with mine backwards. Seems that it just doesnt really matter which way they face. They just work that way.

DSC01382.jpg

• 1 month later...
Well ya'll have have low mounts and heatshields. I arranged the bags back and forth and got it away from the can enough. We'll see.

How did it work out?

I have the same setup and have not bought soft saddlebags yet because of the heat concern so your experience would be very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

+.02

6th Gen: With my Remus in place, I did over 1000k with some really hot day temps (around 38+), plus some hard running. My Nelson Riggs strap right around

the pipes and the foam padding sits in direct contact. Not one burn mark. The pipes are Ti. The only thing I noticed?

When I returned home to do some laundry, a few of my shirts smelled a little of exhaust. Next time, I'll wrap in heavy zip locks. :fing02:

Even with my stock pipes last year (gutted at that) I have had NO issue with heat from the pipes melting the padding or the straps.

• 2 months later...
I ride with these bags all the time commuting to work and have not had any problems. The will smell a bit at first but thats it. Works really great.

I also sometimes ride with mine backwards. Seems that it just doesnt really matter which way they face. They just work that way.

DSC01382.jpg

nice gear i ll like to have more info , make ,model price and if they are stable on the bike thanks !!! mike

I burned some soft bags with my old Yamaha.

No fire, but the bags got crispy fried, and a couple items of clothing inside too.

Basically just the part where it rested on the muffler. Tinfoil in the bottom didn't help much. +1.gif

Cinch it up tight so it doesn't touch the pipe, you should be OK.

I have a set of soft bags I use on my 6th gen. The back of the bag actually touches the heat shield on the stock exhaust. It has not burnt at all even in summer heat.

:rolleyes: I put a set of the Cortech sport bags on my 6th gen ... the padding touched the heatshields, but absolutely no problem with burning or melting.

• Member Contributer
+.02

6th Gen: With my Remus in place, I did over 1000k with some really hot day temps (around 38+), plus some hard running. My Nelson Riggs strap right around

the pipes and the foam padding sits in direct contact. Not one burn mark. The pipes are Ti. The only thing I noticed?

When I returned home to do some laundry, a few of my shirts smelled a little of exhaust. Next time, I'll wrap in heavy zip locks. :rolleyes:

Even with my stock pipes last year (gutted at that) I have had NO issue with heat from the pipes melting the padding or the straps.

Careful on that. I once traveled with a cheap pair of tour bags on an '84 Shadow 500 and trying to be smart I wrapped clothes in a plastic bag inside the tour bags in case it rained. The cheap tour bags held up fine, the plastic bags around the clothes melted. And hence, the clothes inside the plastic bags were destroyed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

DSC01382.jpg

nice gear i ll like to have more info , make ,model price and if they are stable on the bike thanks !!! mike

The set up worked quite well. I made 2 trips from Raleigh, NC to TN around Deals Gap and back to Dollywood with the family. I had speeds up over the limit a few times and never had a problem with the bags blowing or moving around. I have also rode with the bags in the middle of summer and they set right on the exhaust with no problems. The only thing I would really like to change would be to get a mount and hard top box for the back. The tail bag being extremly stuffed with a weeks worth of goodies makes it where you can't kick your leg over. As the back soft tail bag expandes almost twice the height shown.

Archived