929 Shock On 3rd Gen.

Guest BlueFireIce

Guest BlueFireIce

I didn't really know where to put this...

But man he does good work and is a really overall nice guy to deal with. He responds to questions (no matter how many you ask) in a very timely manner and has the best prices you will find for shock work, and not only that, he just does great work. He even helped me find a shock for the swap and worked with me to use the spring I already had!

So a big props to Daugherty Motorsports for the great service! :fing02:

8a8c1845.jpg

1c7738e8.jpg

4d2b64d6.jpg

I can't WAIT to get this thing put in! Really tired of that old stocker. :fing02:

Did they modify the shock at all? Port job for the valves? New shock oil?

Nothing to the internals, the 929 shock was pretty much new...However that is something I had in the back of my mind after I had sent it off, I am sure that next winter it will be sent back for a valve replacement/rebuild just for the hell of it. I'm not some super rider and I don't do any kind of "racing" with it, I was just looking from something that didn't bottom out with my fat ass on it. :biggrin:

However seeing how I can never leave anything alone...A revalve is going to happen.

what all was done to make it work?

I can't tell you all that was involved as I didn't do the work, how ever he had to machine the bottom end of the shock and fabricate the "forks" for the lower end. Then he also added a spacer/adapter for fitting the spring I already had...it's going on this weekend if I still have the free time.

Saw your other post...You live in Shreveport?

what all was done to make it work?

I can't tell you all that was involved as I didn't do the work, how ever he had to machine the bottom end of the shock and fabricate the "forks" for the lower end. Then he also added a spacer/adapter for fitting the spring I already had...it's going on this weekend if I still have the free time.

Saw your other post...You live in Shreveport?

yep...bossier city actually. But it's all the same area. :warranty:

I see you are just north of Lake Charles.

yep...bossier city actually. But it's all the same area. :warranty:

I see you are just north of Lake Charles.

Ah, I lived there for a short time a wile back, might be again soon for job reasons, far better area than Lake Charles.

• Member Contributer

Rock on man, I'm glad you like it.

The modification was to the lower clevis. In the process I've lengthened the shock slightly over the stock shock length to add a little ride height. It's not much, maybe 10-15mm of ride height. For this one he opted for a new spring along with the conversion. The stock CBR929 and VFR springs are pretty close, but a spring matched to the rider weight is an extra improvement.

The shock does not need to be completely disassembled to peroform this modificaiton. However, I often install RaceTech Gold Valves and do other internal modifications if desired. If anyone is interested in more details feel free to shoot me an e-mail!

Sure do! I will like it allot more once I get it installed! Races were today, so it goes on tomorrow! :fing02:

• 2 weeks later...

The modification was to the lower clevis. In the process I've lengthened the shock slightly over the stock shock length to add a little ride height. It's not much, maybe 10-15mm of ride height. For this one he opted for a new spring along with the conversion. The stock CBR929 and VFR springs are pretty close, but a spring matched to the rider weight is an extra improvement.

The shock does not need to be completely disassembled to peroform this modificaiton. However, I often install RaceTech Gold Valves and do other internal modifications if desired. If anyone is interested in more details feel free to shoot me an e-mail!

Jamie,

You have a PM. :unsure: Looking to get this done. Thanks

Jon

Jamie,

You have a PM. :fing02: Looking to get this done. Thanks

Jon

have you the ref of the spring? and the cost, because i'm french and i don't find the same spring: i do the modification to my 3rd gen, whit a 929 shock but it s definitvely too soft my weight 72 kgs (150 lbs)

• Member Contributer
have you the ref of the spring? and the cost, because i'm french and i don't find the same spring: i do the modification to my 3rd gen, whit a 929 shock but it s definitvely too soft my weight 72 kgs (150 lbs)

The stock CBR spring should be fine for your weight, in fact maybe a tad firm. What are your sag numbers?

The stock CBR spring should be fine for your weight, in fact maybe a tad firm. What are your sag numbers?

in fact i used the 8th positions of preload (there are 9 positions) and i have 10 mm of sag thanks you jamie and sorry for my porr english, i screw for 1/2 the hydraulic, the twice, in front i have 30 mm for sag with ohlins springs and W20 oil, 180 mm height

in fact i used the 8th positions of preload (there are 9 positions) and i have 10 mm of sag thanks you jamie and sorry for my porr english, i screw for 1/2 the hydraulic, the twice, in front i have 30 mm for sag with ohlins springs and W20 oil, 180 mm height

sag is without me, i will mesure with me

• Member Contributer
So a big props to Daugherty Motorsports for the great service! :beer:

:491:

Jamie did a great job on my shock rebuild :beer:

The price, the service, the communication - All perfect.

I highly recommend :blush:

• Member Contributer
there is my fitting:

photo010.jpg

photo011.jpg

Not bad. It's hard to see how you are going to hold the thing together, are you sure there won't be any clearance issues? It's fairly open down there, but it's always nice to know for sure. I try to keep things tucked away as much as possible to avoid such problems.

photo012.jpg

i put this in my schock, and bolt on with a m10X80 screw, and now the schock is on my bike but i feel a little bit soft, what do you think about my spring?

• 3 weeks later...

I just had a 929 shock done up by Jamie. Should be on the way to me in a couple of days. Can't wait to swap out the worthless stocker. :pissed: I'll post up pics when I get it installed.

I just had a 929 shock done up by Jamie. Should be on the way to me in a couple of days. Can't wait to swap out the worthless stocker. :fing02: I'll post up pics when I get it installed.

Tell me what you think, I got mine installed and feels so much better, even though I have not had the chance to ride much with my stator going out... :mellow:

• Member Contributer
photo012.jpg

i put this in my schock, and bolt on with a m10X80 screw, and now the schock is on my bike but i feel a little bit soft, what do you think about my spring?

arno-

Where did you get this spacer? I am just sourced a 929 shock for my 4th gen, and am planning to do this swap. The spacer looks cleaner than using a pipe collar, I like it!

Archived