Saw Smoke-now Headlight Out - Vf1000r

Guest thetallstewy

Guest thetallstewy

Hey guys, i have an 85 vf100r, and i hit my electric starter just like any other day, saw smoke, turned my bike off, waited for it to stop smoking (1 min), and now my headlight is out.

My guess is that it burnt the headlight wire connecting to electric starter switch?

Let me know if you have any ideas

im pretty sure its the wiring....the wiring is 23 years old and the smoke even smelt like an electrical burn

the smoke literally looked like it was coming out of the starter

i know its not the bulb, because the light turned off then turned back on, but now its off completely....theres a small percentage its the fuse

Doesn't the starter circuit kill the headlight while you crank, to get maximum juice to the starter?

It sounds like your starter brushes are toast.

There are a few R guys here who really know their stuff, if you add "vf1000r problem" to your subject line of your topic(by using the edit button), you will get more help from the right people. :mad:

• Member Contributer

Oh $%^&, you let the magic smoke out. You are going to need one of these:

smoke1.JPG

Check your fuses first of all. If something is shorting out and burning up, hopefully there was a fuse somewhere on that circuit.

• Member Contributer

I agree with Seb, your starter circuit is likely the problem area. I'd look at the starter switch too. My guess, and that's all it is at this point, is that your starter is screwed up which caused excessive current through the starter button. Now the button is messed up and won't let the headlight come on. It's a chain reaction thing.

It looks like you'll need to do some digging. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

fuses are fine, theres actually a 15 in place of a 10, so i gotta change that soon...but looks like ill be taking apart the electric starter area. ill give an update soon

• Member Contributer
fuses are fine, theres actually a 15 in place of a 10, so i gotta change that soon...but looks like ill be taking apart the electric starter area. ill give an update soon

I'd check the switch first, it's easier to inspect.

Well i got the headlight to work without taking apart anything. What i have to do is just tap the electric starter switch and it turns back on. Tapping it will also turn it off (if its on). Loose wire/burnt wire maybe? Eventually Ill open it up if the light permanently doesn't come on. Also, the other day, I was holding in the clutch (coming to a stop), and my bike turned off. It did it three times, but hasnt done it since (ive been doing engine breaking instead). So i think it is possibly shorting the kill switch, but dont know if the clutch has anything to do with it.

Archived