Patch Rear Tire With A Nail In It?

Guest frozentundra

Busy little shop

Is the saftey seal a goo plug?

isaw these tiny plugs a harbor freight that would work great for steel staple punctures, no drilling.

you can see from your picture that type screw would wallow out a larger and larger hole, no way to leave it in

• Member Contributer
Timely topic. I have a PR2 with less then 1000 miles on it sitting in my garage with a pinhole right in the center of the tread. It only lost a few psi per day, but it was there... I could not find a single place to patch it for me, or even mount the patched tire if I did it myself! I ended up just buying a new Metz Z6. Grrr. Anyway, if anyone in the DFW area wants a nearly-brand new PR2 to patch and mount themselves... let me know.

I'll pay shipping!

Hell, I'll email you a PDF file to print out, tape it onto the tire, and hand it to your mail carrier.

Dropped it off at the PO this afternoon. Enjoy! :biggrin:

<mutters grumpily to self about flats in new tires> :fing02:

Well - that's a lot of input. :fing02:

So here's what I did.

Since the hole was right in the middle of the tread, with zero sidewall impact, I patched it with a rope plug, (per BLS's advice - hey, I LOVE my peg lowering blocks by the way. . .thanks again) and rode it to a local shop to see if they would do an internal patch job on it. Nope - they want the tire and $150 to get a new one on for me. I talked to the mechanic on the sly outside the bay, and he said "Don't sweat it mate, that plug you put in is as good as it gets - you'll get another 1000 miles out of it. I'd ride on it on my bike, just don't take it to the track."

I hear all of the noise about $130 being less than the cost of my life, but in reality, I'm not going to worry about it. if it fails, it'll be a slow leak, not a catastrophic event. If it doesn't hold pressure overnight, I'll just pump it back up and ride it to the shop and get the damn new tire. If it holds, I'll ride it. I'll check the tire pressure before each ride, and if the plug comes out en route, well, I'll ride it onto the shoulder and call triple A.

Appreciate all the advice, gents.

• Member Contributer
Busy little shop

Is the saftey seal a goo plug?

isaw these tiny plugs a harbor freight that would work great for steel staple punctures, no drilling.

you can see from your picture that type screw would wallow out a larger and larger hole, no way to leave it in

Not Goo... Safety Seal is made up of 24 plies of a custom made high tensile (350 lb break strength) chemical resistant

nylon. Each yarn is immersed in a unique proprietary rubber sealant.

Well crap - it's not holding. :mad: I went out this morning, and it had dropped about 5 pounds. Shoot. Well, that settles that.

I bought a Pilot Road 2 rear to match up to the pretty new Pilot Power front I've got. I got a pretty good deal on E-bay, and I'll get 'er mounted up next week. And so. . . :blush: ends the debate.

• Member Contributer
Well crap - it's not holding. :mad: I went out this morning, and it had dropped about 5 pounds. Shoot. Well, that settles that.

I bought a Pilot Road 2 rear to match up to the pretty new Pilot Power front I've got. I got a pretty good deal on E-bay, and I'll get 'er mounted up next week. And so. . . :mad: ends the debate.

I've had a mushroom plug leak before, following the instructions not to use sealant. Since then I've used sealant with the plugs and had no problems. Considering every single PP rear tire I've bought picked up a nail in the first 1K miles or so, I've gotten pretty good at putting plugs in! :blush:

I've yet to speak to or read an account of anyone's patch that had a catastrophic failure resulting in a crash, maybe someone has a link?

I bought a Pilot Road 2 rear to match up to the pretty new Pilot Power front I've got. I got a pretty good deal on E-bay, and I'll get 'er mounted up next week. And so. . . :blush: ends the debate.

send me that tire......how much for shipping to 47130...lmao

Archived