Fork Oil Recommendations?

Guest Hoverboy26

Guest Hoverboy26

Hello, I am new to the forum, I live in Phoenix, AZ. I just got a 2003 VFR800 with about 13k on it. It needs tires, and one fork is leaking oil, so i will be doing a rebuild. What fork oil does anyone recommend? Weight, brand, oil height, etc? I can change dirt bike forks in my sleep, but as I have no seat time on this bike, I could use an experienced opinion. Great forum, and I hope I can get involved. :fing02:

Thanks.

try some Motul 7.5wt oil, but reduce the air gap by 10mm, if you dont like the feel after setting up the static sags and riding around for a bit, its a simple job to pop the tops off the forks and syringe say 5ml out of each, then try it on the road again.

• 4 weeks later...
try some Motul 7.5wt oil, but reduce the air gap by 10mm, if you dont like the feel after setting up the static sags and riding around for a bit, its a simple job to pop the tops off the forks and syringe say 5ml out of each, then try it on the road again.

I cheated. I took the forks off the bike, bought the seals and Motul 7.5 wt fork oil, then had a local shop do the dirty work. He set it up close to your recommendation, but reduced the gap by 5mm. I have put 800 miles on the bike after the rebuild, and it is right on the money! I may go a few clicks out on the rebound. Thanks for the info!!

I am doing a 600 mile round trip this weekend, I will get it just how I like on the trip. New tires(well, 200 mles on them), full tank of gas........I'm ready to go. :blink:

I cheated. I took the forks off the bike, bought the seals and Motul 7.5 wt fork oil, then had a local shop do the dirty work. He set it up close to your recommendation, but reduced the gap by 5mm. I have put 800 miles on the bike after the rebuild, and it is right on the money! I may go a few clicks out on the rebound. Thanks for the info!!

I am doing a 600 mile round trip this weekend, I will get it just how I like on the trip. New tires(well, 200 mles on them), full tank of gas........I'm ready to go. :laugh:

right on the money, what do you feel changed? you went to a lighter weight oil with less air gap, I would assume this made a little quicker fork. But hows the bottoming

If you pop a wheelie , does it slam down or land cushy like a marshmellow?

I am doing a 600 mile round trip this weekend, I will get it just how I like on the trip. New tires(well, 200 mles on them), full tank of gas........I'm ready to go. :laugh:

right on the money, what do you feel changed? you went to a lighter weight oil with less air gap, I would assume this made a little quicker fork. But hows the bottoming

If you pop a wheelie , does it slam down or land cushy like a marshmellow?

fork oil won't change the way the bike lands after a wheelie, the brisk release of the throttle would cause a very hard landing, whereas a gradually let off would result in a feather-like touchdown. Unless of course you're on a twistie switchback, at which case it's best to keep the front planted, but if it does come up, quick shifting into 3rd should also result in a feather-pillow landing as well. But if you're on a decreasing-radius 8% downgrade left-camber apex on a four-lane road, chances are good any throttle manipulation will still result in a bone-jarring front tire contact.

Leave the wheelies to the squids... :goofy:

:idea3: :blink:

But I still ask the question, why is RaceTech fork oil $29.95/qt? Is it made from melted down plutonium or something?

I don't pay that much for my wife's aftershave I get her at Christmas.

• 3 weeks later...

The question I have is, the manaul recommended fork fluid is Pro Honda Suspension SS-8. What weight is that? I have always used Maxima fork fluid. So would be nice to know if that "SS-8" is the same as 7.5 wt. or what.

Archived