Witch Front To Match A Z6 Rear

keny

Witch of these 3 fronts would you perfer if you have a Metzeler Z6 rear

1. Dunlop D220

2. Maxxis Supermaxx M6029

3. Avon AV45-st

4. Metzeler Z4

Dont suggest any other, just the one of the 3, err 4 listen you would use as a front to match a Metz Z6 rear.

• Member Contributer

A Z6.

I know its not on the list but here is why. Many tires are designed to complement each other. Read the web site it will talk about how the tread design works to ensure traction in conditions. Not to mention rubber compounds and tire profiles.

I also am of the opinion that you should always change, tires in pairs. That said, I don't think you would go wrong with any of the tires on your list, as a set.

A Z6.

I know its not on the list but here is why. Many tires are designed to complement each other. Read the web site it will talk about how the tread design works to ensure traction in conditions. Not to mention rubber compounds and tire profiles.

I also am of the opinion that you should always change, tires in pairs. That said, I don't think you would go wrong with any of the tires on your list, as a set.

Well as you sade it would be the logic chose, but.

I´m talking about my old lady here, and a 120/70 dont fit. I have a cbr 600 f1 "hurricane" front wheel on the way, and it will fit a 110/80 17 tire and thous listed are the only radials made at date. I have a good Z6 on my PVM rear rim I will use, and want a mach for it.

Not much help here guys.

Hope thous that have expriense of these tires would post and say how they liked them, better if compared to the Z6.

Also find a 4th contender, Metzeler Z4.

Some + and - that I though

Avon av45

- old design

- not a maching rear made anymore (I have 160/60r18)

+ shold give good feedback when grip is going

- less grip than the Z6 wet or dry

- no one sell it localy

+ prize is ok

Dunlop 220

+ semi new design

+ maching rear awable

- less grip than Z6 in wet

+ about same grip as Z6 in dry

+ matching rear still awable

+ can get it localy

- prize high

Maxxis

+ sportier tire?

+ dry grip better or same as Z6

- wet grip?

+ can get it locally

+ prize is good

- 18 rear not made

Metzeler Z4

- prize is high

+ get it local

- grip compared to Z6

add some if you think!

• Member Contributer

I think the Dunlop D220 would be OK. I have had them is a set before. There are newer tires out there, but as you said, your choices are limited.

Do you have the option of buying a matched set and selling your rear tire to a friend to recover some cost?

Thanks for your tuoghs.

I was in local shop yesterday and seems like the Maxxis is hard to get. He promis to find out, so I will go there tater this week. The Dunlop he gets in a few days. He didn have one 110/80r17 in stock, a Pirelli GTS Dragon that had a mid 02 manufacture date, but still rubber felt werry soft and fresh (he stores them good). I would proberly get a good deal on it, but still dont know if its worth it. I remember someone here priced it high. I have disscounten the Avon and Metz Z4 of what I will get.

Still I hope the front rim would be a 3.00 wide, not 2.50, it would allow me to use a 110/70r17 and getting some serius rubber.

• Member Contributer
Thanks for your tuoghs.

I was in local shop yesterday and seems like the Maxxis is hard to get. He promis to find out, so I will go there tater this week. The Dunlop he gets in a few days. He didn have one 110/80r17 in stock, a Pirelli GTS Dragon that had a mid 02 manufacture date, but still rubber felt werry soft and fresh (he stores them good). I would proberly get a good deal on it, but still dont know if its worth it. I remember someone here priced it high. I have disscounten the Avon and Metz Z4 of what I will get.

Still I hope the front rim would be a 3.00 wide, not 2.50, it would allow me to use a 110/70r17 and getting some serius rubber.

I would not use a 6 year-old tire, even if it were "new".

It's time for that tire to contribute to the world in other ways, like become the nice shredded stuff on a running track.

Why discount the Avon? It's a good tire!

The 220 is ok, but will cup on you.

I would cross the Z4 off right off the bat, not even a consideration in my mind, they came stock on my bike and are garbage for anything but slab miles!

I had great luck with the AV45/46 tires, I liked them better than the 46's(Storms) I have now!

I found one more contender, but I think I take a fresh Z4 befoer that. Its a Michelin X100 made week 48 2004

I'm warning you, don't get the Z4!!

So you think a Michelin Macadam X100 is a better chose than a Metz Z4?

Anyway, I think I go for a Maxxis if I get one, will find out lather today.

If not I get the Dunlop D220.

They dont have Avons in the country at the moment and I might not get one before my trip, otherwise it would have been one of my choses, as cheaper than the Dunlop.

The Maxxis seem hard to get, and the one I found is made 03. bummer. Not whort it even I would have got it for 68€. The D220 is a werry costy tire, att least for the size (110/80r17) I want, 168€ !!! ( a 120/70r17 cost 129€)

I got to a motorcycle shop in a town nearby today and checked how of the profile of a 110/70r17 is when on a 2.5 rim, and I tested a Bridgestone 014, and have to say the profile does not change that much, so whit a prize of 110€ for a 07 made tire, I tock it. Hope I didnt do a bad deal, but shold be grippier than the d220.

• 1 month later...

Now afterward all I can say, DO NOT put a 110/70r17 tire aina 2,5 wide rim. Even the profile does not seem to change that much, it does effect handling. If you mainly comuting and dont haul ass in corners, it works ok, but in corners it does not work as it should. Even a BT014 is a grippy tire, I felt the frontend slip in some corners, ok it can been some dirt or oil, but the one I ride whit didnt feel any slip at same speed and ride line, all I can blame is the screved up profile and less contact area of the tire. My tire also was way hotter than the friends tire, a Michelin PR2, after same rideing in same speed, tellig my tirre had a much harder life. The 110/70r17 is only 105mm wide on a 2,5 wide rim, recomended rim is a 3,0.

One more thing, I use full tread whit on my rear, but still have nearly 10mm of unused rubber on each side of the front!

Archived