Avon Storm Review

Guest 90RedVFR750

Guest 90RedVFR750

I just got my new avon storm st av56 mounted and bolted up today. I put about 150 miles on today and just loved the feel of the new back tire. I am ordering a front tonight. I feel much more confident with these in turns and just in general. I used to have michelin pilot sport and they just did not grip. I had numerous times when the back slightly slipped and I really had to be weary in turns. I recommend these tires even though I don't have a lot of miles racked up.

Just put 600 miles on the new Storm and All I can say that i love the new Avons. +1 I am ordering my front Friday. I hope the give me 8000plus mile like the crapy Bridgstones that came with the bike:)

I got 8000 highway miles out of my first set of Azaros(looong trip!), and ~4500 backroad/commuting miles out of the set immediately following the first. Hence the term Your Mileage May Vary! (YMMV). :goofy:

I had the michelins on since last summer when I bought the bike used. They were on it and didn't look too bad...I thought. I guess maybe they were a race compound but they took forever to heat up and never stuck. I maybe put 1500 miles on them. This season I had been riding with lower pressure in the rear for more grip...maybe 30 psi. That helped a lot but were still touchy in corners.

pilotsport.gif

I'm glad to have something that works. I have the new rear at 36psi which is the stock pressure and they grip great. I've heard that avons like higher pressures?...

3305560B.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have Storms on three bikes right now and a new set leaning against a garage post ready to go on the next bike with worn out Storms.

They can be spun out of a curve but it's not easy for an ST tire. I've spun an M3 for that matter. First set of Storms on the K bike. That will tell me a lot about them before they're worn out on that bike.....

I'm glad to have something that works. I have the new rear at 36psi which is the stock pressure and they grip great. I've heard that avons like higher pressures?...

The older Azaros did, especially the SP models (now replaced by Vipers??) If I had mine at less than 37 psi, it wandered a bit, especially on coarse-chip road surfaces (which we have a LOT of in Noo Zilund). However, the Storms seem quite happy at 34F 36R (I was running 37-38F and 40-42R on the Azaros). At 34 psi on the front, it does get a wee bit wandery, but not as bad as the Azaro did, as the Azaro had a very soft carcase.

A couple of weeks ago the rear tyre felt very sqirrely in the corners. Turned out it was down to 30 psi. Oops.... :goofy:

I must tighten up the Ariete valvestem a little...

Well I ordered a front last night and will get it tomorrow and I guess I'm going to start with 42 psi which is the stock pressure. I can't wait to have all new rubber mounted up. Next step is a new windscreen.

Got mine in, & on the bike today. Went on a little 5 mile "scuff'em up" ride, feel good so far. Nice tip-in, very stable cornering. Was taking it easy. Tomorrow I ride to work & take the fun way home, I'll do a little railin' and report back. :goofy:

• Member Contributer
Got mine in, & on the bike today. Went on a little 5 mile "scuff'em up" ride, feel good so far. Nice tip-in, very stable cornering. Was taking it easy. Tomorrow I ride to work & take the fun way home, I'll do a little railin' and report back. :goofy:

Whyja put a new rear on??!! You hadn't worn through the steel belts yet on the old tire!! :laugh:

They are a nice tire. :comp13:

Got mine in, & on the bike today. Went on a little 5 mile "scuff'em up" ride, feel good so far. Nice tip-in, very stable cornering. Was taking it easy. Tomorrow I ride to work & take the fun way home, I'll do a little railin' and report back. :fing02:

Whyja put a new rear on??!! You hadn't worn through the steel belts yet on the old tire!! :laugh:

They are a nice tire. :fing02:

*Groan* :fing02: :goofy:

Just rode in, had a tiny bit of slippage as I got over to the edge, was only 33deg out, should be better on the way home. In all fairness, I've done a little drifting/sliding on the Diablos too. :wheel:

In all fairness, I've done a little drifting/sliding on the Diablos too. :fing02:

:fing02:

J/K, Seb!

I was absolutely going to buy a set of Storms to replace my Conti Road Attacks this winter, but ended up buying a Sport Attack front, then a Sport Attack rear, and just bought a Road Attack rear to replace the worn Sport Attack rear. I guess that tells you how much I like these Conti's so far.

Next time I'll go with the Storms. Probably. Maybe. :fing02:

• 4 months later...

Back in April of 07 I installed new Storms front and rear on my 99 VFR for a 8,000+ mile trip out west. I had hoped that the rear would last the whole trip. Prior to the Storms I had been running Z6s and Stradas and typically got a little over 5,000 miles out of rears with most of my riding being on weekends in the mountains and in somewhat of a spirited fashion. The Storm rear made it 7,000 miles. When I was forced to replace it on the road, they didn't have a Strom in stock so I went back to a Strada.

I figured the reason the rear strom did not last longer was due to many hours of fairly high speed (75 - 95 or Storm and it is down to the wear bars in the center at 3800 miles! I can't help but wonder if they reformulated the tire compound or something. I might get 5K out of the tire but no more.

Of those running Storms, what kind of mileage are you getting out of rears? Just curious. I think I am going back to Stradas.

Vic

• Member Contributer

Had Avon Storms put on my bike a couple of months ago. Have gone on a few long rides (200 mi.+) and they feel great. Great on the twisties too, as I was quickly rid of any signs of chicken strips. Love em.

• Member Contributer
I have Storms on three bikes right now and a new set leaning against a garage post ready to go on the next bike with worn out Storms.

They can be spun out of a curve but it's not easy for an ST tire. I've spun an M3 for that matter. First set of Storms on the K bike. That will tell me a lot about them before they're worn out on that bike.....

UPDATE!!

When I use up all the Storms on my bikes including the new set in the garage....there will likely be no more. They are great tires but I've just come to the point of being able to outride their stick capabilities too easily. The set of PR2CT's in my garage really NEED to work better.... :fing02:

Archived