No-mar Tire Changer

CBR_Rod

• Member Contributer

I am considering a No-Mar tire changer, specifically the Classic Ultimate Package 2. I am wondering if there are any advantages that I am missing by not cnsidering the Jr. Pro model. I see the difference in the bead breaker reach and the minimum and maximum rims each will attach, but operationally speaking, is one worth buying over the other?

As far as rim size is concerned, it appears to me that I could add a hole at each end of the chart to accomodate the smaller/larger rims on the classic model. I know there are a couple of members on here that have one or the other, give me a reason to go one way or the other.

If price matters, The Classic Ultimate Package 2 can be had shipped for 825.00, which is discounted off the normal price. There are no such deals to be had on the Jr. Pro Ultimate package though, so it would be 995 plus shipping.

I get by pretty well with my Harbor Freight tire changer and NoMar bar. With that said, either one of these two models, the Classic or Jr Pro, would be leaps and bounds better than my HF, made in Usa, Chinese piece of crap. :fing02:

Operationally, both look like they'd work the same. I guess the main question is this: is it worth $170 to you to have the ability to work on larger ims? Like you said, it looks like you just have to drill some new holes on each arm to accomadate larger rims, so it would make sense to me to picke the Classic model over the Jr Pro. Also, that $170 you save can be used to help for a nice air compressor (if you don't already have one).

• Member Contributer

It'd actually be about 240-250 difference once shipping was figured for the Jr. Pro. I'm thinking along your lines, just didn't know if there is something I'm missing since I've never seen/used either one of them before.

• Member Contributer

The Classic should serve all your needs. Call No Mar and ask them what the JR Pro does that the classic won't.

You sould look for a Coats 220 on eBay.

I personally think it is a better machine than the No-Mar tire changer.

I see No-Mar makes attachment for the Coats 220 for 195.00.

I can but the nylon protectors for my Coats for under 10.00.

I have not damaged a wheel on a Coats machine in over twenty years of using one.

• Member Contributer

I went with the Classic Ultimate 2. What sold me is that I called and spoke with them and he said he still prefers to use the classic. The only advantage I see to the Jr is the smaller diameter wheel size.

• Member Contributer

I've got the JR Pro. It's a great changer. I'm sure the classic is all you need though. Super easy to use. I wouldn't live without it.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
I've got the JR Pro. It's a great changer. I'm sure the classic is all you need though. Super easy to use. I wouldn't live without it.

I have the HF ............but this weekend I watched/helped a guy spoon on 6 tires on his NoMar JR pro with hitch mount . Great rig............but expensive. In this case.........You get what you pay for.

I just ordered some NoMar spoons to help me with my cheap ass HF.

• Member Contributer

To all the no-mar owners, has anyone changed a low profile car tire on a classic one yet. I'm about to buy one, but don't know if I want the Jr. Pro. The no-mar rep said it was needed for car tires.

But I'll be mostly using it for the VFR. (don't worry, I haven't ridden my cage in a week)

• Member Contributer
To all the no-mar owners, has anyone changed a low profile car tire on a classic one yet. I'm about to buy one, but don't know if I want the Jr. Pro. The no-mar rep said it was needed for car tires.

But I'll be mostly using it for the VFR. (don't worry, I haven't ridden my cage in a week)

How low is low? I did a 50series tire and I wouldn't recommend it. Only took an hour, my kids now know every foul word ever uttered in the history of mankind (in several languages) and I actually broke the bolt that holds the bead breaker arm to the upright. I had an easier time changing a 35" Swamper on the trail with a HiLift jack and ratchet straps.

I can change the tires on my wife's Caravan pretty easily though.

• Forum CEO

I bought a set of Mojo blocks for my Harbor Frieght changer, and a mojobar - sombody posted this thing here on the board. I have yet to install the nylon blocks or use the bar. I will post a review when I do finally get to use it.

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm

240290799-M-0.jpg240290711-M-0.jpg240290693-M.jpg

I bought the Harbor Frieght model several years ago and it worked OK. It worked best for regular car tires, in and out in just a few minutes. However, since I was doing a lot of motorcycle tires for myself and customers, even on COLD days, I decided to pick up a Hoffman 1520 pneumatic machine. WORKS FANTASTIC!!! I got it off Ebay for $1000. Well worth it and its paid for itself within the first year of ownership. :fing02:

Take a look on Ebay, there are a lot of deals out there on pneumatic machines if you haven't considered one yet.

• Member Contributer
I bought a set of Mojo blocks for my Harbor Frieght changer, and a mojobar - sombody posted this thing here on the board. I have yet to install the nylon blocks or use the bar. I will post a review when I do finally get to use it.

http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm

240290799-M-0.jpg240290711-M-0.jpg240290693-M.jpg

Yea I just ordered those too. They will replace my old bicycle tire remnants. It was interesting talking to the guy with the noMar as he uses spoons instead of the nomar bar to mount the tires. We were mounting ST tires which are pretty stiff like my Wing tires.

I think the HF with the Blocks above and the NoMar spoons is adequate for the job. But the NoMar rig is pretty nice. I stick with what I have as I just spent another commercial shop set of fees on my new tools/gizmos. The most important thing is your technique anyway. Good to watch a buddy do it first.

I can't speak highly enough about the No Mar product, and the people that work there. I have only change 5 or 6 sets of tires with my Jr. Pro - but it gets easier every time - and no scratches.

I just emailed them about a question I had about an hour ago - and I got a response 5 minutes ago. It is now 11:30 pm..... THey care about their customers!!!

I have the Jr. Pro - with the yellow thingie, clamps, and spoons - for what its worth.

Good people, excellent product!! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I bought the darn Yellow Gizmo toooooooooooo! Pretty handy! Will continue to use lumber as a substitute for the expensive clamps.

06YellowThingOnWheel.gif?1205180521

got mine off of ebay...got the classic..loads of extras..plus the wheel balancer...extra cones to fit the rear wheel of the vfr..got that yellow thing...its worth its weight in gold.....works without a hitch...zero scratches....ive changed a set(4)of car tires...they were 65 series...they were really a breeze....if bike tires are mostly what your gonna change then get the classic...if car tires are on the list more than the bike then get the jr pro...it seemed better suited for car tires...more stable....their web site has alot of videos on diff tires ...bike or car....you can watch there...youll get a dvd when you buy one...itll answer 99%of all of your questions....it takes a while like anything to get use to it...once you figure it out youll wonder why you didnt get one sooner :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Guess I need to watch this thread. I have the classic and I intend to change my car tires (45 series). After changing a few motorcycle tires I don't see why a low profile car tire would be an issue on the classic but not on the Jr. Pro?

Archived