My New Progrips Don't Fit!

zx5go

Question

• Member Contributer

Ok, so I've ordered a set of helibars, heaters, and progrip 714 grips. I haven't installed anything yet but if I take one of the helibars and one of the grips the grip slides up onto the helibar without any resistance as if it is too large. I've tried both grips (because I assumed the throttle side might be a different size) and they seem to be the same. They are large enough that even if I used glue the fit would not be right.

Can anyone help?

9 answers to this question

• Member Contributer
Ok, so I've ordered a set of helibars, heaters, and progrip 714 grips. I haven't installed anything yet but if I take one of the helibars and one of the grips the grip slides up onto the helibar without any resistance as if it is too large. I've tried both grips (because I assumed the throttle side might be a different size) and they seem to be the same. They are large enough that even if I used glue the fit would not be right.

Can anyone help?

Is it possible you ended up with two right side grips?? The left grip should have a smaller diameter opening.

• Member Contributer

Can anyone help?

Is it possible you ended up with two right side grips?? The left grip should have a smaller diameter opening.

Could be. Got a pic?

• Member Contributer

I'll take a closer look tonight and snap any necessary pics. Maybe I only think I tried both grips!

Rivcyko, are the 714 grips the same length as the standard VFR grip? They feel great so one way or another I'm hoping I can get this figured out. Then we'll have another 714 supporter on the site!!!

• Member Contributer

They are a tad shorter, but when you put them on, they'll stretch a bit. You will, obviously, need to cut the ends off. To keep more length, you could cut the hole through. You will love these things. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Are you sliding the grip over the bare bars? The larger of the 2 should go over the throttle side over the plastic sleeve/throttle assembly, if I remember correctly.

Rich A

• Member Contributer

Can anyone help?

Off the top of my head - one grip should have molded numbers that say 22mm and the other 24mm - its usually molded on the opening side. What do yours say? Take a look.

MD

• Member Contributer
any chance you bought them for 1" bars instead of 7/8"?

I ordered for 7/8" bar but I'll have to confirm they sent the right item when I get home.

I'll double check all the suggestions thus far this evening. No use going much farther with the discussion until then.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

• Member Contributer

Ok, I guess I just moved too fast on this one. I had NOT tested both grips and it seems I had the throttle side grip out for my test fit. Everything is just fine and dandy.

I appreciate all the feedback. Nice to know you've got buddies you can count on even when you do something foolish.

Archived