Smaller Batteries

redmarque

Question

• Member Contributer

Don't really know much about batteries - so hoping you guys know more than I do. I'm looking for a smaller unit to power the my 5th Gen Frankenviffer. Any Ideas? :rolleyes:

Redmarque.

11 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

I had a small racing battery in my track bike. For all the issues I had with it, without even running any lights or accessories, I would stick with a stock sized unit for a street bike.

I believe the battery that's specified for the ST1300 is 3/4" shorter in height than that specced for the VFR, but offers enough CCA's to do the job (if it can start an 1100cc V4 I guess the VFR motor is a walk in the park). I don't know of any other alternatives.

• Member Contributer

Here's a conversation I had with a battery suppliers and a member here:

"

Depending on which batt you actually get that could be a annual expense of $60-80 dollars. This is especially true if the batt is not maintained during the off season.

I can live with that. I had a TZR250, and I had to replace the battery every year or 2. So, which one would you suggest?

Thanks again for your time,

SG

Ok Here are all of your choices from heaviest to lighest:

BATTERY TYPE DIMENIONS-IN. L-W-H WEIGHT(LBS) CCA PRICE (DEALER COST)

FAYTZ10S 6 - 3 7/16 - 3 11/16 7.0 190 78.95

FAYTX9 6 - 3 7/16 - 4 3/16 5.4 120 52.95

FAYTZ7S 4 7/16 - 2 3/4 - 4 1/8 4.6 130 62.95

(this has reverse terminals)

These prices might vary a little because distributors set there own pricing based on the market they do business in.

If I can help you out anymore just let me know.

Jeph

"

Jeremy, the battery is in use only when starting the bike. Basically, a smaller battery will wear faster and will not be able to crank the engine if very cold or for a long period of time. Once the bike is running, the alternator takes over. Now if it doesn't your problem is not the battery.

SG

I believe the battery that's specified for the ST1300 is 3/4" shorter in height than that specced for the VFR, but offers enough CCA's to do the job (if it can start an 1100cc V4 I guess the VFR motor is a walk in the park). I don't know of any other alternatives.

From what I understand(as it's been reviewed and discussed in other threads), is that the newest Yuasa replacement battery(OEM) for the ST1300 is exactly the same size as the 6th gen VFR battery, but offers a higher CCA rating.

• Member Contributer

Cheers Guys! :thumbsup: The stock battery is 10 Ah - so by reconing I could use any that are 10 Ah. what do you think about using a gel based one?

Redmarque

Cheers Guys! :thumbsup: The stock battery is 10 Ah - so by reconing I could use any that are 10 Ah. what do you think about using a gel based one?

Redmarque

Aren't the cold cranking amps important too? As with a car, "there is no replacement for displacement", so the smaller the battery, the faster you will kill it with repeated starting.

I need to thank you for starting this topic, it reminded me that I wanted to look into using a sealed battery in my 750 project, instead of using a new lead-acid battery. :thumbsup:

I just replaced the battery last week with a NAPA ETX9 powersport sealed unit. It's called "absorbed glass mat technology". I bought this one solely because it was about 30% cheaper than the stock unit.

The battery is 9 amps but the salesman told me that because of the technology it is equivlent to 11 amps. I don't know about this, but time will tell.

• Member Contributer

Ducati Batteries are about 10mm narrower, but then wider in the other two directions

- would be great to use a Lithium polymer battery like the ones in KillaCycle bet there pricey though!

• Member Contributer

Finally bought a battery for the redmarque monster.

Voltage: 12 v 12Ah

Dimensions: 151mm x 98mm x 97.5 mm

Weight: 4 Kg

NP12-12.jpg

Battery Specification Link (PDF)

Will let you guys know if it does the job! :thumbsup:

Archived