Best Place For A Power Socket

CitizenOfDreams

Question

21 answers to this question

If its the Powersport model with diff plug ends, Just carry the gator clip cord, The battery is easy enough to get to and no need to mount anything...

If you mount a steering stem plug are the wires n hoses long enough to reach the rear tire?

"IIRC" the power cord is 14 inches and air hose only 10 inches long..

• Member Contributer
"IIRC" the power cord is 14 inches and air hose only 10 inches long..

No, the one I got has a permanent cigarette lighter plug and a long cord, so the socket can be anywhere on the bike. So far I'm inclined to mount it somewhere under the dashboard (in case I ever buy a GPS or a radar detector).

• Member Contributer
How about right in the top of the steering stem?

Top of the steering stem... Not too bad of a location, but too much trouble to mount it properly (drilling a large diameter hole in the bridge).

Or do you mean right inside the stem? It does not appear to be large enough to accomodate a standard cigarette lighter connector. I would have to switch to Powerlet (which is yet to become a universal standard in the world of 12V appliances).

• Member Contributer

I added one in the front fairing, near the left turn signal. I have it facing to the rear to keep water out.

I have used it for my tire compressor, cell phone charger, and XM radio.

I was not sure where I wanted mine either so I Velcro one to the front of the top tripple, right side and ran a zip tie for support. It clears everything when turning good. So far I have left it there and run my gps off of it and video camera power supply for my motocomm. Didnt want to drill any holes and it has easy access. I would recommend that you run it off a relay and fuse!

• Member Contributer
I would recommend that you run it off a relay and fuse!

A fuse - definitely, I bought a nice 30A inline fuse holder just for that.

A relay... Don't see what would that do for me. Maybe a rocker switch like this:

84840.jpg

• Member Contributer

A relay... Don't see what would that do for me. Maybe a rocker switch like this:

84840.jpg

IMO, it's too easy to leave a switch on and come back to a dead battery. Adding a relay is nice, because if you wire the trigger to something that's switched with the ignition, like the license plate light, it turns off the power to all accessories, assuming you don't forget to turn off the bike when you leave it.

Of course, this whole thing with a relay leads you to the point where you might was well put a fused and switched terminal block to add all of your accessories to. :D

• Member Contributer

84840.jpg

IMO, it's too easy to leave a switch on and come back to a dead battery. Adding a relay is nice, because if you wire the trigger to something that's switched with the ignition, like the license plate light, it turns off the power to all accessories, assuming you don't forget to turn off the bike when you leave it.

Of course, this whole thing with a relay leads you to the point where you might was well put a fused and switched terminal block to add all of your accessories to. :D

Get the new AP-2 switched and unswitched multi-fuse block. It's small, versatile, and sexy (I guess I must be lonely). B)

• Member Contributer

Thanks for sharing your opinions guys.

Half of the voters advised me to get a Powerlet socket. I decided not to go that route since all the 12V equipment I own (or planning to own) - cell phone charger, laptop power supply, power inverter, radar detector, GPS, air pump, solar cell battery charger, beer cooler... - uses the "old fashioned" cigarette lighter plug. While being inferior compared to Powerlet, cigarette lighter remains the de-facto standard.

So, here is what I came up with.

gallery_11554_3576_32687.jpg

Supplies: power socket, 30A inline fuse, AWG14 Teflon wire - $18.11 total

gallery_11554_3576_40581.jpg

Soldering new wires to the socket (one of the original wires was soldered so poorly so it fell off on its own)

gallery_11554_3576_1772.jpg

Connecting the wires to the battery

gallery_11554_3576_52414.jpg

The socket bolted to the fuse box cover

gallery_11554_3576_77569.jpg

I will buy some acorn nuts tomorrow to cover the ugly bolts

The problem I see is one without a relay you run the risk of running your battery dead. Two the position that it sits will be more prone to the plug wiggling loose on rides and getting a poor connection. Time will tell.... :joystick:

speaking of the tiny mc slime compressor

Ive used mine alot lately 4 times to be exact on the last time black smoke started coming out of it, in other words they are usuable , but barely adequate and dont expect a great deal of longevity if used much.

Ive used mine alot lately 4 times to be exact on the last time black smoke started coming out of it, in other words they are usuable , but barely adequate and dont expect a great deal of longevity if used much.

Did you follow the directions? It says not to run them long or they overheat. Just curious. I forget what the number is, but it says "don't run for more than xx minutes continuously".

Did you follow the directions? It says not to run them long or they overheat. Just curious. I forget what the number is, but it says "don't run for more than xx minutes continuously".

i think its 15 minutes, but i ve filled a few back tires and this the fist time black smoke has appeared with a cut off at 20 lb for a minute, i cut it off, but probably going to have to get a larger compressor, as black smoke is probably the first sign of things to come.

i think its 15 minutes, but i ve filled a few back tires and this the fist time black smoke has appeared with a cut off at 20 lb for a minute, i cut it off, but probably going to have to get a larger compressor, as black smoke is probably the first sign of things to come.

Maybe you need to install a small computer fan on it to prevent the overheating... :beer:

Poking fun at the old R/R mod :goofy:

• Member Contributer
The problem I see is one without a relay you run the risk of running your battery dead.

Nah, I never do stupid things like forgetting to turn stuff off. smile.gif Seriously speaking, I want to use things like air pump without turning the ignition (and headlights) on. Or plug in a battery charger without having to take the seat off. More seriously speaking, I was too lazy to wire a relay. smile.gif

Two the position that it sits will be more prone to the plug wiggling loose on rides and getting a poor connection. Time will tell.... :joystick:

I will find out when I buy something to use on-the-go, like a GPS... If that becomes a problem, I can probably mount the socket vertically on that same fuse box cover.

The problem I see is one without a relay you run the risk of running your battery dead.

Nah, I never do stupid things like forgetting to turn stuff off. smile.gif Seriously speaking, I want to use things like air pump without turning the ignition (and headlights) on. Or plug in a battery charger without having to take the seat off. More seriously speaking, I was too lazy to wire a relay. smile.gif

Another nice thing about the '05 & up VTECs, we have a hazard light key setting. This setting in the ignition kills all the power except to the flashers. Not sure if I can get steady power out of that circuit, gotta be possible somehow. (can you tell I haven't run any relays either?) lol

I have a Powerlet plug in the left inner black panel under my left bar, and the adapter cable to run regular 12v stuff. Got it from a member here a while back.

Did you know that the compressor comes with a permanent battery quick-disconnect cord? (or is that the Battery Tender I'm thinking of?)Hmm...

• Member Contributer

Actually, my compressor is not the "micro" one, it's a bit larger and apparently intended for car tire use. So it may last a reasonably long time on a motorcycle.gallery_11554_3576_108651.jpg

• Member Contributer
Maybe you need to install a small computer fan on it to prevent the overheating... :beer:

Poking fun at the old R/R mod :goofy:

Yup, my bike came from the previous owner with a little Pentium fan dangling beside the R/R. smile.gif

The sticker on my pump says "do not run for more than 8 minutes continuously, allow to cool for 15 minutes between uses".

Im sure they will warranty it for you. If not let me know they are only 3 blocks away from me and Ill go give em HELL !! :unsure:

Archived