Garmin Nuvi 200; How Would I Mount It?

pres589

• Member Contributer

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NVZE5...=cm_rdp_product <--- Brand new, not refurb, if I'm reading this right, for $150. Free shipping available.

Since it's my first GPS unit of any sort, I'm wanting to start in on the cheap end and either resell it after some period of time or buy a Zumo later and transition the Nuvi 200 to my car. My only question is, what's the best way to mount this thing? It's hard to see what the mounting is like on the Nuvi from pictures online; has anyone here mounted a Nuvi using a Techmount or RAM, etc? I'm currently limited on what kind of things I can do in a shop in a machine work sense, although I could probably fab up an adapter plate or something similar if need be.

I'll probably go ahead and jump on this while the deal is still available but I'd love to see some opinions and ideas. I'll surf similar threads here for anything that sticks out, I figure this deal is good enough that just getting the word out is worth my making a new post.

• Member Contributer
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NVZE5...=cm_rdp_product <--- Brand new, not refurb, if I'm reading this right, for $150. Free shipping available.

Since it's my first GPS unit of any sort, I'm wanting to start in on the cheap end and either resell it after some period of time or buy a Zumo later and transition the Nuvi 200 to my car. My only question is, what's the best way to mount this thing? It's hard to see what the mounting is like on the Nuvi from pictures online; has anyone here mounted a Nuvi using a Techmount or RAM, etc? I'm currently limited on what kind of things I can do in a shop in a machine work sense, although I could probably fab up an adapter plate or something similar if need be.

I'll probably go ahead and jump on this while the deal is still available but I'd love to see some opinions and ideas. I'll surf similar threads here for anything that sticks out, I figure this deal is good enough that just getting the word out is worth my making a new post.

Thats a good price. I am sure others will jump on it. Like bonus said that ram mount would be perfect. you can get a ram ball that mounts to the 2 tank bolts and an arm and you are good to go. I can see an easy way to hard wire the power as well so it wouldn't run out of battery all the time.

• Member Contributer
That is a really good deal. I've really wanted a zumo but at 1/4 of the cost I don't know if I can justify the zumo. So many toys so little time..

You can get through 4 downpoors for that price.

After the 5th one, you'd have to buy Zumo.

I currently have Nuvi 350 and the only problem with it is that it's not waterproof.

Otherwise, I LOVE it.

This is off-topic but...

Last week I won a Garmin GPSMAP 76CS handheld GPS unit. (Won in an NPR radio station drawing during their Spring pledge drive.) It's a discontinued model. And I know it won't be the same as the GPS units most of you use on the bike, but I'm really looking forward to trying it out on the bike and in my car.

I've been checking out mounts for my bike and car, but I'll wait 'til I actually get the unit (soon I hope) to buy any accessories and/or mounts for it.

• Member Contributer
Thats a good price. I am sure others will jump on it. Like bonus said that ram mount would be perfect. you can get a ram ball that mounts to the 2 tank bolts and an arm and you are good to go. I can see an easy way to hard wire the power as well so it wouldn't run out of battery all the time.

I ended up hitting up the local stealership and had a guy at the parts counter run through things with RAM and I ordered that Numi 2xx holster, which is currently available an in stock at RAM. I then got one of their 3 inch arms, the ball that lets the holster actually work, and then a RAM stem mount. The thing looks pretty cool. All told I'm in for $37, although I do get a small discount with these guys on stuff I buy, so YMMV. The stuff won't show up for probably a week and a half.

I'm not sure how I want to handle power. What I'd love to do is find some piece of bodywork to put a small hole into, and then use small diameter barrel connectors to brew up something, instead of going with a bulky cig lighter style setup. I figure if a female to female adapter can be used as a feedthrough of sorts at a body panel that's not too conspicuous, I should be in good shape. And I'll want a cap for the thing to keep the water out as well... shouldn't cost much to get this handled, as long as my research time is free. I'll probably have to spend a couple hours with the Radio Shack catalog to get this done.

Archived