Ok Tire Gurus...

pbmax

• Member Contributer

My '06 has a desperate need for a rear tire. I've got approximately 3,200 miles on the bike now and while my intent was to replace the rear tire soon - it's now become a necessity. I plucked a medium sized staple out of the centerline tread and psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Flat.

The front tire looks great. Really. So I'm not going to replace both tires. The front is the original sportmax II.

Ok, here's the question. Is it alright to replace the rear tire with a Dunlop Qualifier while keeping that original on the front? What are the possible ramifications of mixing up the tires like this? Or, is there anything really to worry about...

I'm considering the Qualifier just because it's in stock at a local shop here and I'd like to give my money to the small business (hometown stuff) when doing this. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or answers/recommendations you all may have. Much respect!

Most agree it's ok as long as it's the same brand. Normally you would want the stickier tire in the front not the rear. Some run a sport frt. and a sport touring rear.

• Member Contributer
I'm considering the Qualifier just because it's in stock at a local shop here and I'd like to give my money to the small business (hometown stuff) when doing this. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or answers/recommendations you all may have. Much respect!

From a small biz owner, THANK YOU :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Most agree it's ok as long as it's the same brand. Normally you would want the stickier tire in the front not the rear. Some run a sport frt. and a sport touring rear.

so doing the reverse of that - the sport in the rear and sport tour up front - won't tear a hole in my time/space fabric will it? Will it make the bike handling characteristics a wreck?

Hmm, on the Dunlop website it even states 'replace only in pairs - do not mix and match'. WTF, T.

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

What you are considering doing should be fine, although it is not the norm. Generally you run the same tires front to rear, or run a softer, stickier compound on the front. In spirited riding and cornering the front will generally last through two rears if you are running the same tires on both rims.

By the time you wear out the new rear you will be ready to replace both. Then you can go with a matching pair. Choose a sport touring tire if you don't do a lot of spirited cornering. If you like to ride more aggresively then you should consider a sport tire such as Pilot Powers or Diablo's.

• Member Contributer
What you are considering doing should be fine, although it is not the norm. Generally you run the same tires front to rear, or run a softer, stickier compound on the front. In spirited riding and cornering the front will generally last through two rears if you are running the same tires on both rims.

By the time you wear out the new rear you will be ready to replace both. Then you can go with a matching pair. Choose a sport touring tire if you don't do a lot of spirited cornering. If you like to ride more aggresively then you should consider a sport tire such as Pilot Powers or Diablo's.

ok cool. I think I follow you here. The bike won't handle any different (worse or better) by putting the sport tire in the rear...it'll be comparable to what it was. Versus if I had replaced only the front with a sport tire and left the rear a sport-tourer. Then I might see improved handling. When the rear wears out this time, replace both tires with whatever - just keep them the same style.

Izzat about right? Thanks everyone for their input.

ok cool. I think I follow you here. The bike won't handle any different (worse or better) by putting the sport tire in the rear...it'll be comparable to what it was. Versus if I had replaced only the front with a sport tire and left the rear a sport-tourer. Then I might see improved handling. When the rear wears out this time, replace both tires with whatever - just keep them the same style.

Izzat about right? Thanks everyone for their input.

the reason people put sportier on front is if you have one tire that lets go, you would rather have it be the rear than the front. add to that the fact the front tends to last longer and it makes sense. you can run the other way, but i am not sure what it buys you.

• Member Contributer
you can run the other way, but i am not sure what it buys you.

.....a "pushed-out" front end sometimes if you're a really aggressive rider................. :goofy:

I've been running mismatched tires for the last 10k miles or so. Sometimes the stickier tire is up front, other times it's the rear. I haven't crash and burned to death yet. :goofy: I am keeping my tires in the same "family" though: Pirelli and Metzler.

you can run the other way, but i am not sure what it buys you.

.....a "pushed-out" front end sometimes if you're a really aggressive rider................. :goofy:

maybe i should have said i dont know what it buys you of value.... :unsure:

Archived