Rc51 Fork Rework

Veefer800Canuck

OK, so I got my VTEC Ohlins 46DR (base model Ohlins) shock installed and now it's time to think about the forks.

Looked around at various shops and checked their fork service pricing and it's looking like a buncha money.

I could spend several hundred on a rebuild/respring/revalve or even bet half the farm on full-boat Ohlins internals.

Neither of which are appealing at this moment as we are in the throes of a total kitchen reno (new cabinets, flooring, etc) :rolleyes:

So what I'm wondering is (without ever having disassembled the forks yet) is if I could improve the forks on a budget.

My ideas thus far are: Sonic 0.90kg/mm springs, 80 bucks. http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/produc...479225f8e0d2204

Traxxion dynamics spring preload kit: http://www.traxxion.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=RC51S

Beyond that, I'm absolutely lost as to what to do with the oil weight/level and the stock valving. Any suggestions as to what I might do to modify the stock fork internals to work better for the VFR without spending megabucks on a gold valve kit, axxion valves, K-tech valves or similar? 2007710133929_resize.jpg

• Member Contributer

Rob,

You might want to also try your question on the rc speedzilla board but I'll wager the #1 answer will be to send them to Kyle.

Rob,

Aren't the stock SP2 springs 1kg?

As to oil wt/level I use 7.5wt, and a 120mm air gap. Out of a 1 litre bottle of fork oil I have a smidgin left, so almost 500ml in each fork, around something like 497 to be imprecise smile.gif

Interested in how you get on, my SP2 springs now have about 25k km on them.

My question would be what do you think is wrong with them now?

New springs wont change much unless your front end is to hard for your weight dropping to .9 springs.

The preload kit will make allot of difference & if you have a friend with a lathe very easy to make yourself.

You don't need to change valving just have it tweaked which isn't costly.

Oil replacement always helps on SP1/SP2 forks because they seem to bind a little & the oil gets very dirty quickly, as to what to use depends on what your using now & my question.

Just remember the VFR isn't a light bike & the geometry we use due to trail change also loads up the forks allot.

• Member Contributer

I asked RaceTech about their RC51 "spacer required" kit, and it turns out it was just a length of alloy tubing, just like they (used to?) provide with every spring kit they sold... (Didn't buy it.)

Ciao,

Archived