Vfr Slipper Clutch

Guest ghostriderkas

Question

11 answers to this question

thanks

i still want the vrf its just different then all the other stuff here in las vegas

gsxr are the most popular out here and cruisers too

gsxr's are everywhere. It's a plague :wheel:

I live in harley country.

i feel there is a need for one.

there have been a few times that i could of used one. (couple of times on twisty back roads down shifting into 2nd for a turn and having her step out on ya)

with the linked brakes and stout engine braking, and riding her hard, i could see the need.

there was an instance at a track day that im coming down the front straight at 125-130mph setting up to brake for a near 90deg turn 1.

under hard decel. clicking down 2 gears and heavy braking i locked the rear wheel. got some wheel hop, and thought ok no big deal. ill just get her back under control. a bunch of wheel hop and a few hundred feet later, i realized that she was not coming back under control for some strange reason, somethings wrong.

turns out, it was to much front brake(taking the weight off the rear) and to much engine braking caused the wheel to hop initially, then after pulling the clutch and letting off the rear brake and grabbing even more front, caused it to still apply to much rear brake. so during this time the engine stalled. for the first second or 2 i didn't realize that she stalled.

could of been bad. but i got it under control and all was good.

at 125mph your traveling over a 180 feet per second. 3-4 secs turns into a wild ride. especially while a pack of 600's are buzzing by me into turn 1.

i know, i know. shes not ment to be rode like that, but she still has the heart and soul of a racer.

You said yourself.

I clicked down two gears,

tsk tsk, one at a time. She does have the soul of a racer.

Easy with clutch. You can modualte slippage and use it to your advantage.

• Member Contributer
turns out, it was to much front brake(taking the weight off the rear) and to much engine braking caused the wheel to hop initially, then after pulling the clutch and letting off the rear brake and grabbing even more front, caused it to still apply to much rear brake.

Yeah, you have to be really careful with that back brake. I very rarely use it on the track myself and never when braking hard. There's so little weight on the back tire that even engine braking can brake it loose if you don't feather the clutch out and blip the throttle to keep the engine speed up.

The first-gen Interceptors and VF1000R had stock slipper clutches. Not sure about the 2nd gens, but I'd be surprised if they didn't. My 2005 Gixxer 750 doesn't, oddly enough. They started putting in the Gixxers in 2006.

Archived