Buying A New Vfr: What Is A Good Discount From Msrp For A New 2008

MaxSwell

• Member Contributer

Does anyone have an idea what a reasonable price to pay for a 2008 VFR with ABS. MSRP is 11,799. I'd like to get factory hard bags also.

What should I pay? (cash - no financing)

• Member Contributer

I paid $15200+tax for my 07 in May with OEM hard bags, but thats the whole unfair Canadian pricing thing we get stuck with up here.

Here is the latest funny one. The new Can-am (BRP) Spyder is built right in Montreal has a $15,000usd MSRP and $18,500can MSRP??? LOL funny how something built here can be that much more when the dollar is on par with the US green back. BRP says they are looking in to that :wacko:

• Member Contributer
I paid $15200+tax for my 07 in May with OEM hard bags, but thats the whole unfair Canadian pricing thing we get stuck with up here.

Here is the latest funny one. The new Can-am (BRP) Spyder is built right in Montreal has a $15,000usd MSRP and $18,500can MSRP??? LOL funny how something built here can be that much more when the dollar is on par with the US green back. BRP says they are looking in to that :goofy:

Ya know if Canada just sucked it up and became the 51st state in the good old USA you wouldn't have that problem...

• Member Contributer
Ya know if Canada just sucked it up and became the 51st state in the good old USA you wouldn't have that problem...

hummm, ok I'll keep paying the extra

:lol:

Here is the latest funny one. The new Can-am (BRP) Spyder is built right in Montreal has a $15,000usd MSRP and $18,500can MSRP??? LOL funny how something built here can be that much more when the dollar is on par with the US green back. BRP says they are looking in to that :goofy:

maybe the u.s should suck it up and become the 11th province...free health insurance, longer life expectancy, government running a surplus, plenty of oil and water...on second thought fergettabout it...we'd have to make Bush and Britney and Rush Limbaugh canadian citizens ...you can keep 'em !!!

btw the 9999 at southern is the cheapest if seen an '08 for so far.....

• Member Contributer

I know in Canada Honda is offering $1800 cash back on '06 & '07 models. Remember the only difference is color (and maybe ego if you gotta say it's an '08)

My $0.02...Unless it's about the color of the bike, buying a brand new current year bike when leftover (still new) '06s and '07s are available for less money is kind of a waste of money. Keep in mind, too, that you'll pay more for insurance each year with an '08 vs. a slightly older bike.

But if you gotta have the grey (which I do like), sounds like it's reasonable to expect to pay a couple grand less than MSRP. Frankly, however, I'd be surprised if many normal-sized Honda dealers have '08s in stock. Considering the last couple years' worth of VFRs didn't fly out the door, there's no reason for them to order new '08s that won't sell quickly either.

hummm, ok I'll keep paying the extra

That's funny!!!! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Hey everyone, thank for the input. I am surprised at the 9K to 10K number. And I do appreciate the advice about new '06 and '07 bikes. I have no ego about the model year. I do like the silver but color is not that important. And if they are all the same performance-wise, I like the insurance angle.

And it is not fair about Canadian prices. I would never recommend Canada become the 51st state. I'd much rather Minnesota became the 11th Province. We already are used to the weather, and it would eliminate a worsening border hassle.

I plan on checking out all your dealer recommendations.

Thanks again.

• Member Contributer
Hey everyone, thank for the input. I am surprised at the 9K to 10K number. And I do appreciate the advice about new '06 and '07 bikes. I have no ego about the model year. I do like the silver but color is not that important. And if they are all the same performance-wise, I like the insurance angle.

And it is not fair about Canadian prices. I would never recommend Canada become the 51st state. I'd much rather Minnesota became the 11th Province. We already are used to the weather, and it would eliminate a worsening border hassle.

I plan on checking out all your dealer recommendations.

Thanks again.

Oh heck, and I'm repeating what's been said in other topics, but some will argue that getting a 6th gen with a couple of thousand miles on it is even wiser than buying a left over w/ no miles. I got my '04 with just over 5K miles, and besides looking practically brand new, I knew the engine was broken in and had no issues.

• Member Contributer

Thanks VeeFour! Checking out used bikes is another Good Idea. I bought my current '01 with 4k on it; paid $6,000 (it was in perfect condition) so I know about used bikes being good values. (not that my purchase was a good value - I do not have enough experience to judge).

Perhaps my real question should be:

Should I keep the '01 with 30K miles or get a 6th gen? Perhaps this deserves a new thread.

• Member Contributer

Should I keep the '01 with 30K miles or get a 6th gen? Perhaps this deserves a new thread.

Oh, oh. You realy should have not asked this questions. It will open up some serious coversation. Get/keep what you want. :thumbsup: We do not have to tell you what to do.

• Member Contributer

Oh, oh. You realy should have not asked this questions. It will open up some serious coversation. Get/keep what you want. :thumbsup: We do not have to tell you what to do.

I know about the Gen 5 as an owner. However, very little knowledge about Gen 6 other than what I read at VFRD. I do not interpret suggestion as telling me what to do. I'd especially appreciate an opinion from someone who has owned both a Gen 5 and a Gen 6.

Thanks for input.

I agree with looking for a new leftover 04,05,06, or 07 and 06 or newer if you want the earlier Vtec transtion point (6400rpm vs 7000).

Also spotted this used one on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Inter...tem350027169602

There's two RW&B non-abs 07's in our classifieds also! :thumbsup:

BTW if you buy any new leftover no matter what year it still comes with a factory 1 yr warrenty and you cab still buy 3 yr extended warrenties for them to anytime before the 1 yr expires and get that here at almost half price! :thumbsup:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33107

Archived