Bags - Hard / Soft? Luggage Rack / Topcase?

Guest Jeff66

I really hated to start another thread, I read countless others & I'm sure most of you (some of you at least?) had these same

thoughts / dilmeas previously?

I should pick up the VFR next week. This will be my first VFR; after 15 years on BMW's. I have an '03 goldwing, and all my BMW's all had factory hard bags. I had even swapped out the factory bags on my K1100LT in favor of a set of GIVI monokey bags. The GIVI were great quality bags.

Anyway - the one dealer near me didn't seem to konw much / offer much as to what accessories were available for the VFR as far as luggage racks etc. I don't expect to leave the bags on the bike all the time, only on trips. I'm not crazy about color matched bags, they get scuffed and scratched to easy. I liked the dull matte black that all my previous bags were.

It seems that there's an aftermarket culture for VFR's that perhaps the dealers arent as hip to? I'm thinking that I'd like to be able to have a nice luggage rack to strap my lunch to, perhaps a bungie or nylon strap a box to occasionaly, but dont want some big ugly honkin' thing way aft of the tail light. Most of the photos I see of VFR's with top boxes look way of balance. I'm thinking that if you load one of those boxes up with 15 or 18 lbs of kaka its going to seriously affect your CG.

I'm starting to give second thoughts as to possibly buying a set of used OEM hardbags, and repainting them matte black.

I've seen photos of VFR's with the bags installed; and they look good. What does a 6th gen. VFR look like with the factory bagmounts installed; but the bags removed???

Anyone make a nice luggge rack that mounts over the rear passenger seat instead of Aft of it?

(My wife will never ride the pillion of the VFR - that's what the Goldwing is for !)

I guess i'm being too fussy over looks; but its a sharp looking bike and I dont want to trash the image.

Have a zillion other questinons.....look forward to meeting some of you out there. I don't do too many typical Sunday rides, but Saturday's are bike time.

thanks,

jeff

Member Kanadian Ken makes a rack that mounts a Givi or Honda(and some others) topbox over the rear seat, check his gallery.

The VFR doesn't look horrible with the factory bags removed:

Cykohugger013.jpg

Another option is the Cortech Sport tailbag, lotta guys here swear by them, and I just got a deal on one myself!

h_r1_black.jpg

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.ph...=148&cat=31

• Member Contributer
I really hated to start another thread, I read countless others & I'm sure most of you (some of you at least?) had these same

thoughts / dilmeas previously?

I should pick up the VFR next week. This will be my first VFR; after 15 years on BMW's. I have an '03 goldwing, and all my BMW's all had factory hard bags. I had even swapped out the factory bags on my K1100LT in favor of a set of GIVI monokey bags. The GIVI were great quality bags.

Anyway - the one dealer near me didn't seem to konw much / offer much as to what accessories were available for the VFR as far as luggage racks etc. I don't expect to leave the bags on the bike all the time, only on trips. I'm not crazy about color matched bags, they get scuffed and scratched to easy. I liked the dull matte black that all my previous bags were.

It seems that there's an aftermarket culture for VFR's that perhaps the dealers arent as hip to?

Givi makes several styles of bags that can be put on a VFR.

Take a look at TwistedThrottle.com

There is one style that is mostly black but has choices for colored panels.

I think these bags look better than the stock ones.

Givi V35 PLX Sidecases/Saddlebags (pair) - 35 liters/case

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/69/

Or maybe find a set of stock bags that are scratched and paint them with pickup truck bed liner.

Lotsa possibilities out there.

Have fun.

• Member Contributer

I have a Givi case mounted over the passenger seat and love it. I can have it off in less than 5 minutes if the wife WANTS to ride with me. I also have the factory hard bags but don't normally need that much storage. Kanadian Ken's piece is your best bet if you don't want to do it yourself. By the time you get the material, get it bent and powercoated you could have one from him. Here is a quick pic of the one I made with my box attached, I know the garage is a mess.

IMG_0126.jpg

• Member Contributer

If you are a hardbag guy than I doubt anything but GIVI or the OEM bags will do.

I have and love a Ventura bag set up. It installs in 3 minutes flat and hauls a ton of gear. You can use it as just a rack or pull the rack off and leave the 3" stubs hanging out for a more stripped down look. The mounts just attach to the grab handle bolts and work very well. They are pretty unobtrusive.

I think I have finally admitted that I am no longer Ricky Racer and will be leaving the hard bags on full time starting this year.

• Member Contributer

SW-Motech makes a removable rack that can be used to mount the traditional Givi sidecases. (Not the PLX) It's nice, you install some nearly invisible doohickeys on the bike, and then the plates that hold the bags are quick release, so when you're not carrying side cases you don't have a big honkin' Givi Wingrack back there messing up the look of your bike. There's a link upthread to the Twisted Throttle site, they sell SW-Motech, they probably have this rack.

• Member Contributer

I have a Wing and a 5th gen VFR. I solo tour on both bikes.

I have soft bags on the VFR and like you would not consider two up on the VFR.

If you do a lot of touring on the VFR, I would get the OEM hard bags but not top case. Get a good tailbag as you do not need the back support for the pillion! If dollars are really driving the choice I would opt for the soft bags. I like my Cortech bags but the 6th gen OEM hard bag setup is just too good to pass up!

There are only three advantages to soft bags I can think of:

1. Cost

2. When you drop the bike in the Parking lot you will not scratch your hard bags! <_<

3. Close fit to the bike

My Cortech soft bag review on a 5th gen.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37332

• Member Contributer

Jeff,

I had an 03 Wing before the VFR and admit that I got spoiled by the Wing's saddlebags. When I got my 06 VFR, one of the first accessories I bought was the OEM hardbags. I like the option of being able to keep stuff in the bags and not worry about some nitwit going through my stuff. I echo the thoughts posted on the Cortech Sport Tailbag, When we went on our West trip last year, 7,000 miles in 18 days, I packed the hardbags, the Sport Tailbag and the Super mini magnetic tank bag and still managed to overpack. You really don't need the top case, IMHO.

Good luck!

I agree with Seb. The bike does not look bad with the bags off. Most people would not even notice the hardware going down the road. I personally leave them on 95% of the time now. I personally do not feel they effect the bike at any speed and use them almost every time I ride. Some people care about looks when they ride, I personally don't, but the funny thing is I get more compliments on the bike with them on then I do with them off. People have not seen too many pearl white VFR's around here with bags. You can't go wrong with the OEM bags.

gallery_12785_3531_417786.jpg

IMG_0403.JPG

Hard bags have never been an option for me, since I've been in college as long as I've owned a bike. I have a Lockhart Phillips Tailbag and a Cortech tank bag, that is expandable. I can pack enough stuff in these two bags to keep me out on the road for atleast 2-3 days. I use the tailbag when I commute to work and school, carrying my books, lunch, sweatshirt, workout clothes, ect. The key to using such little luggage on longer trips is pack what you need but pack lightly. There are certain things that I always carry on trips such as chain lube, a few tools, phone, MP3 player, camera, ect, the necessities. As far as clothes go this is where I skimp. I wear a one piece leather, so I will be wearing that most of the time. I pretty much pack one change of clothes, for changing into when I get done riding for the day, I always shower before I change to keep them clean since I will be wearing them for a short time on multiple days. I usually just pack a pair of tennis shoes to wear, sometimes just sandals, but only if I know that I won't have to ride anywhere, such as a restraunt, after I change. Besides that I pack a T-shirt, fresh socks, and clean underware for each day that I will be on the road. When it is sweltering hot in the summer I pack several bottles of water. I make it a point to stop once an hour and drink a bottle of water. I can usually drink it in under a minute and not even have to take my helmet off. On a trip to Deals Gap last year I drank 4 bottles of water in 3 hours, never even had to stop and pee, it was about 95 degrees that day.

• Member Contributer
When it is sweltering hot in the summer I pack several bottles of water. I make it a point to stop once an hour and drink a bottle of water. I can usually drink it in under a minute and not even have to take my helmet off. On a trip to Deals Gap last year I drank 4 bottles of water in 3 hours, never even had to stop and pee, it was about 95 degrees that day.

I use a camelback -- it works wonders. I stop every 215-245 miles. :thumbsup:

I'm a fan of the hard bags, too. They work as advertised. Just be sure the lock actually engages -- it can appear so even when they don't. :beer:

gallery_2925_490_111458.jpg

winter3vfr.jpg

BeartoothPass55.jpg

Hard saddle bags are the only way to go. :beer:

Definitely take a look at Givi bags. They make some flat black bags. Tinyminds has a set of them and they look good. :thumbsup: Here a link to them: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...st&p=433856.

• 5 months later...
SW-Motech makes a removable rack that can be used to mount the traditional Givi sidecases. (Not the PLX) It's nice, you install some nearly invisible doohickeys on the bike, and then the plates that hold the bags are quick release, so when you're not carrying side cases you don't have a big honkin' Givi Wingrack back there messing up the look of your bike. There's a link upthread to the Twisted Throttle site, they sell SW-Motech, they probably have this rack.

hey all...new to the forum, and looking into getting the bike outfitted for touring. I've looked at the SW-MOTECH quick-lock setup at Twisted Throttle...looks pretty slick. The description states that it's intended for OEM equipped bikes, so my biggest reservation is getting this kit and then not being able to upgrade my exhaust system.

Anybody running this setup and have pics and/or feedback? From the pics it doesn't appear that the mounting utilizes any of the exhaust mounts...or does it (?)

Archived