My Vfr Died. Help?

Guest Wesley J

Guest Wesley J

Hey Guys,

So, I purchased an '02 VFR a few weeks back. The bike ran flawlessly when I bought it as well as the first day I got it home. Since then it's sat until today when I thought I'd fire it up for a listen.....

It sounded odd, kind of rough, so I shut it down. I had a quick check of the headers and found one of the cylinders wasnt running (cold header). So, I fired it up again for a listen and it started to get worse. Same test, down to 2 cylinders.

So, I started to pull fairings to see what I could find. I havent changed anything afterall. Nothing to be found, unplugged the ECU connectors and reconnected. Unplugged the PCIII etc. Gave it a try again, down to a single cylinder.

So, made sure each of the coils was seeing 12V, which they all are. I dont have the adapter so I cant actually check the firing signal.

Next, I pulled the fuel return line and turned on the ignition. No problem there, strong burst on the return until the pressure was built up, then a steady flow while cranking the engine.

Another start attempt and I'm down to no cylinders.

Sure sounds to me like the ECU, or more specifically the ICM is dead.

Any other ideas? Anyone know if you can test the ECU? I'm not having much luck on fleabay and the Honda part is 10% of a new bike.....

Thanks,

Wesley J

Fouled plugs ? :goofy:

ECM's never really been an issue. I've had several VFR's do this, but I ran them until the other cylinders started firing(minutes) I think when you shut it off it only compounds the plug fouling problem. :rolleyes:

Plugs are very expensive BTW. :blink:

• Member Contributer

:goofy: :rolleyes: :blink:

Have you had your recall work done? Do any wire harness fixes? Any relay whine? Defiantly would start at the plugs. There have been a couple bad ECUs, on the forum, but it is VERY RARE. How do the pins to the ecu look?

:blink: :blink: :blink:

• Member Contributer
I am betting fouled plugs. Shutting it off didnt help.

+1.gif

It sounds like you've got the know-how to buy new ones yourself, gap 'em, and then change them out. Where do you live? There are a lot of pro's on this web site. Maybe somebody near you can even stop by and help. Let us know what happens.

• Member Contributer

Gap them? :rolleyes:

Still doesn't really say how it started though. Call of work tomorrow, and get into it heavy. :thumbsup: (J/K).

Still doesn't really say how it started though. Call of work tomorrow, and get into it heavy. :thumbsup: (J/K).

You dont have to and arent supposed to gap iridium plugs. NGK plugs are always gapped correctly.

• Member Contributer

You dont have to and arent supposed to gap iridium plugs. NGK plugs are always gapped correctly.

Thanks, (was kind of my point). LOL.

Hey Guys,

So, I purchased an '02 VFR a few weeks back. The bike ran flawlessly when I bought it as well as the first day I got it home. Since then it's sat until today when I thought I'd fire it up for a listen.....

It sounded odd, kind of rough, so I shut it down. I had a quick check of the headers and found one of the cylinders wasnt running (cold header). So, I fired it up again for a listen and it started to get worse. Same test, down to 2 cylinders.

So, I started to pull fairings to see what I could find. I havent changed anything afterall. Nothing to be found, unplugged the ECU connectors and reconnected. Unplugged the PCIII etc. Gave it a try again, down to a single cylinder.

So, made sure each of the coils was seeing 12V, which they all are. I dont have the adapter so I cant actually check the firing signal.

Next, I pulled the fuel return line and turned on the ignition. No problem there, strong burst on the return until the pressure was built up, then a steady flow while cranking the engine.

Another start attempt and I'm down to no cylinders.

Sure sounds to me like the ECU, or more specifically the ICM is dead.

Any other ideas? Anyone know if you can test the ECU? I'm not having much luck on fleabay and the Honda part is 10% of a new bike.....

Thanks,

Wesley J

when ya cold start the bike its running on the starter valves and a overly rich miss sound is normal, till it warms up a bit.

now if it was bucking like a bronco then thats somethin else

Thanks, (was kind of my point). LOL.

I knew by your post thst you knew that info. Just making sure everybody's on the same page and no one get bad info. :thumbsup:

Well, I have to say I really appreciate all of the advice and you we correct. Fouled plugs! Pulled them and gave them a good cleaning with laquer thinner and a brass toothbrush.

I have to say, none of my other 3 bikes are nearly this sensitive to this kinda thing and I havent had fouled plugs since my last 2 stroke. I wonder if the Powercommander and lack of O2 sensors compounds this issue?

Anyway, thanks again all, it's running great now!

Wesley J

VFR%20Project%20043%20[1024x768].jpg

Cool, glad thats all it was! :thumbsup:

It's best to let these things warm up all the way whenever you have another situation like this again to allow all the fuel to be burned off the plugs. All cylinders will fire up very shortly when running and prevents the possible re-fouling. :rolleyes:

You noticed that your situation worsened with each early shut-off test as more unspent fuel was dumped into the cylinders on every retry to the point no plugs would fire. For whatever reason our VFR's seem to be susceptible to this problem. :beer:

Archived