Head Light Upgrade

Guest Pete McCrary

Guest Pete McCrary

Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I will be having the front cowl off my '02 VFR in the near future. I figured then would be a good time to do a headlight upgrade.

I know the low beams are the seperate bulb(s) on the bottom and stay on all the time and the high beams are the upper bulb(s).

What type of bulbs are these? Obviously they're not H4's. What is the recommended upgrade? I've written Jim Davis with Eastern Beaver (great guy, great outfit) and he can make me up a custom heavy duty wiring harness for the headlights that uses relays instead of routing all of the juice through the hi/lo switch.

Your suggestions please.

FotoMoto:

I don't know. I bought the bike used. Is there a method for checking? Don't they punch a symbol or something on the VIN plate when upgrades/recalls are done?

Are the low beams H7's also?

Pete

FotoMoto:

I don't know. I bought the bike used. Is there a method for checking? Don't they punch a symbol or something on the VIN plate when upgrades/recalls are done?

Are the low beams H7's also?

Pete

I thought they do mark the VIN plate after recall upgrades are done. Otherwise, it should be in some central Honda USA Dealer service database that can be called up by your local dealership.

Beck

95 VFR

for your low beams that are on all the time, a standard h4 HID setup would give you more light on less power. Not so good for the high beams as they don't work well in quick on/off switching.

there's an article on it here... HID info

and I know that at least one motorcycle specific design is offered by the Aerostich guys.

HID-Headlight-Conversion-Kit

... a custom heavy duty wiring harness for the headlights that uses relays instead of routing all of the juice through the hi/lo switch.

Pete,

The headlights *do* use relays. The wiring could be a little heavier duty though.

Thanks guys. The HID conversion certainly is something to think about.

I'm a little confused about the low beams being H-4's. I thought H-4's were dual filament bulbs and when I switch from low beam to high beam I see no change in the lower headlights. Is Honda running H-4's and only using one of the filaments?

I bought the bike used and I'm wondering if FIXERS mod had already been done. On high beam, all four lights are on. Is that the result of a special mod or is that standard VFR800 6th gen?

I see no change in the lower bulbs when switching to high beam, I just see the upper bulbs come on with in the high beam position with no change in the lower bulbs at all.

Archived