A "real" Helmet Lock

meddle1999

• Member Contributer

gallery_10917_2781_44618.jpg

I got sick of Honda's sad excuse for a helmet lock and decided to take matters into my own hands. I have posted this on "another" vfr site but wanted to share it here as well. It started off with a helmet lock an 80's CB??. I fabricated a mount for it to mount under the left side passenger footrest assy. I also removed the thickness of the bracket from the footrest assy. to keep things even. All in all it works very well and I dont miss removing the seat all the time.

gallery_10917_2781_1721836.jpg

HPIM0142.jpg

gallery_10917_2781_6381.jpg

HPIM0145.jpg

gallery_10917_2781_27634.jpg

HPIM0150.jpg

gallery_10917_2781_28651.jpg

HPIM0147.jpg

gallery_10917_2781_35020.jpg

HPIM0154.jpg

gallery_10917_2781_4986.jpg

gallery_10917_2781_32315.jpg

HPIM0164.jpg

I have two spare helmet locks from my '83 and '85 Interceptors That I won't be using; they're similar in design, and available to anyone else who wants to try this mod. Just have to have extra keys made.

Cool mod by the way. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Damn nice. Up to producing these?

I've thought about it some but I don't think I could charge a fair price and still turn a decent profit. I'm still looking into it though.

• Member Contributer
That looks great meddle!

I've been wanting to do something like that for a while!

It was really quite simple to do. I think I've only got about $15 in the whole setup.

That looks great and what a great idea! I've always hated taking the seat off to lock the helmet so I usually just hang it on the mirror. But then the whole time I'm somewhere I wonder if some jack a$$ is going to throw my helmet in his car and drive off. Excellent idea. You should produce these. If I don't make one first I'll buy one from you! :thumbsup:

I'd love for my '03 to have one like my '98 does, very similar to what you've come up with here.

Of course, I take the lazy-buggar's approach and use a marine grade padlock (even has a little drain hole off to one side from the key entry), which "will not rust under any circumstances"!! Two weeks in the Pyrenees and the rainy autumn weather here have come and gone and it is none the worse for wear!!

I just run it thru the hole provided for the luggage racks, where, before I realized those holes were for said purpose, thought perhaps Honda had been going to incorporate such a device but hadn't got a round tuit.

cimg0006cq8.jpg

Yeah, the aesthetically concerned will be right in thinking that it is slowly wearing away that nice anodized finish, but... WHO CARES?? (It's just a little spot). Like HS says, (and it's no HS), I'm too busy getting the most outta her to worry about appearances overmuch.

Edited by Auspañol

• Member Contributer

Kuryakan (may be mispelled...... :P ) makes one that mounts with your license plate frame. That's what I have on my Triumph and the wife's Ninja......works great and easy access.............. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I have seen a Bar End with a barrel lock on the end too. Don't recall the name of the product, but it looked pretty slick.

• Member Contributer
I have seen a Bar End with a barrel lock on the end too. Don't recall the name of the product, but it looked pretty slick.

You are *so* going to kick yourself... LINK!

:beer:

Unfortunately what they don't tell you is that you also have to employ an adapter plate to slip through the D ring on your helmet to attach it to the bar end lock. It doesn't look like it would be too comfortable in your pocket.

• Member Contributer
Unfortunately what they don't tell you is that you also have to employ an adapter plate to slip through the D ring on your helmet to attach it to the bar end lock. It doesn't look like it would be too comfortable in your pocket.

And at those prices you could do better *hint hint nudge nudge* :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Just tossing an idea.

Perhaps just the bracket. If you don't want to do all of that, maybe Kanadian Ken, could do them, (With permission, of course).

Could be sold in black and silver. You buy the lock and mill the peg bracket. (Sure with a careful hand it could be belt sanded, too, and no manufacturer would be stuck with an over abundance of locks).

:beer:

• Member Contributer

I have access to a laser cutting CNC production shop , I'm looking into possibly having a short run done if the price is right. I will drill for mounting on the bike and E-coat black. Up to the buyer to get a lock and mill footrest assy. I will get back with a ballpark price If I have enough intrest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Not having the talents of many, I solved the helmet lock dilemma by purchasing an add on lock from my local HD dealer. Cost was about $25-30 and install was simple. Just had to remove a little plastic from the panel directly behind the lock and installed using the safety screws. Total time to install was about 10 minutes. The HD lock was the only lock I could find that would compress to fit the frame tubing of my Gen6.

Not as cool as one off's but within my scope and machining prowess. :D

gallery_5686_1088_95256.jpg

Helmet Lock

• Member Contributer
Not having the talents of many, I solved the helmet lock dilemma by purchasing an add on lock from my local HD dealer. Cost was about $25-30 and install was simple. Just had to remove a little plastic from the panel directly behind the lock and installed using the safety screws. Total time to install was about 10 minutes. The HD lock was the only lock I could find that would compress to fit the frame tubing of my Gen6.

Not as cool as one off's but within my scope and machining prowess. :D

gallery_5686_1088_95256.jpg

Helmet Lock

Hmmm, that is the piece of frame that I hook a small D-lock around to chain the rear wheel when i leave the bike somewhere dodgey or in storage. I just use a retractable cable ski lock to fasten my helmet to the bike. It is enough of a deterent that i've never had a problem. I stow the ski lock in either the tank bag or under the seat.

John

I went the cheap and simple route. I bought a Kryptonite mountain bike seatpost cable and Craftsman small brass lock. I carry this in my tankbag or backpack and lock my helmet (over the chinbar/thru shield area) thru my handlebars or fork tripleclamp. Cost me about $10. Of course it's not 100% secure, but it is effective enough to deter a bad guy just walking by, eyeing my helmet and thinking evil thoughts.

gallery_7800_3527_8502.jpg

Helmet cable lock

• Member Contributer
I went the cheap and simple route. I bought a Kryptonite mountain bike seatpost cable and Craftsman small brass lock. I carry this in my tankbag or backpack and lock my helmet (over the chinbar/thru shield area) thru my handlebars or fork tripleclamp. Cost me about $10. Of course it's not 100% secure, but it is effective enough to deter a bad guy just walking by, eyeing my helmet and thinking evil thoughts.

gallery_7800_3527_8502.jpg

Helmet cable lock

Yea, I forgot that I use one of those on my Bandit as well. Loop thru chin bar, thru the grab handle(its bolted in 2 places) and then down to the worthless stock helmet lock. It just sits there my seat and wont fall off. Its a total PITA to just put helmet on the stock helmet lock.

• 1 year later...

I've only ever once left my helmet on the VFR - usually take it with me. I do have a combination lock with cable that I use when leaving things on the bike (like my Ventura bag, if I'm popping into shop for a few minutes).