Motad Vs. 98-99 Oem Headers

wooly72

Question

• Member Contributer

Hey everybody. I got the bug something fierce this off-season. I've decided to get rid of my stock headers and cat at the same time I'm removing my EVAP canister and centerstand.

My question is: For anyone who has thought of or already done this mod (or similar) what are the differences between ordering a Motad downpipe catless header and just ordering a 98-99 OEM catless header from somewhere like bikebandit or ronayers for my 02?

I know the price is different-Motad is just over $700, while OEM with all parts needed is around $620. But what other differences are there?

10 answers to this question

The Motad unit is stainless steel, which will last longer than the OEM parts - BUT - if you don't ride in the winter, or on salted/treated roads, or live near an ocean, I wouldn't worry about the pipes rotting out.

I'd vote for OEM, and spend the extra $80 on other gear or farkles. :thumbsup:

I know the price is different-Motad is just over $700, while OEM with all parts needed is around $620. But what other differences are there?

One big difference is Motad is stainless, OEM is not. You also need ALL pipes, gskts etc . because there's a diff in size/thickness of the stock used?

Since the 6th pipes are stainless, I'm having a fabricator look at bolt or weld on section made to fill in where the cat got cut clean off and the new section still had any necessessary hangers/stops the cat had on it...

Guaging things like cost and ease of install, this may end up as a 'group' run of units, or an exchange program, send us your system as a core and we will euthanize your cat :salesman: and ship your back your spayed/neutered system after a brief stay in the Cathospital..... :warranty:

The fabricator works for an NHRA drag racing team in Paris. Some of you followers of that stuff may know of Todd Paton. A few years back, he won it all in Funny Car (don't know how many classes of that description there are) but it was North American overall.

I'm hoping it would be the cheapest option, less stuff required/wasted.... :idea3: :thumbsup:

If you can find a set of used OEM '98-'99 headers and get them jet-hot coated, you're in business for a lot less than the Motad units. You've also got to figure in shipping, taxes and duty on the Motad items.

JZH posted a pic of his Motad units for his 4th gen and the craftsmanship wasn't that great. The design looked like it would impede flow bigtime. Also I've heard that the welds are a bit sloppy looking.

Lemme see if I can find that pic...... (disappears into the Intardweb)

Motad01.jpg

Motad02.jpg

Look at the flattened pipe in the 2nd pic, along with the divot in the other. Not to mention inside the horrendous 90' dump pipe where it transitions from small pipe to big.

I don't know if the 6th gen units are any better designed or fabricated. Maybe they are. Hopefully someone with a set can post up.

Here's my stock catless headers jet-hot coated inside and out. I sand blasted them myself VERY thoroughly beforehand, then had them caustic dipped prior to coating. I did not want any rust creeping out beneath the coating as I have seen on other used headers. Likely the result of poor surface prep.

000_0085.jpg

More pics here: http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a280/vee...nter%20project/

Oh, and it's my understanding that the Motad units offer no performance gains, they are not larger diameter or anything, simply stock replacements rendered in stainless steel. They're popular in the UK because those guys typically ride year-round, and rot out their exhausts. They have to pass an annual MOT (inspection) in order to have their bikes legal for the road. If there's a leak in the exhaust, FAIL. Therefore, outfits like MOTAD do a brisk business in replacement exhausts in 'Ol Blighty.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the info guys. Some of the pics I've seen of the Motad look like they aren't welded too well. I do like the stainless steel, but you're right, it might not be worth the extra cash to ship them over here.

Is there a Motad distributor in the states?

I can't seem to find used 98-99's, so I figured the next best thingwould be to order new OEM 98-99.

I like the idea of sending my stocks in to the "cathospital", veefer. If it is a much cheaper mod for the same results, why not right? Keep me posted if you get a group price.

Okay:

Did you get them Jetted in Canaduh?

I'm in Ontario and you're in Edminchuck Aralbertia Albertaflag.gif , right? :warranty:

:idea3: Burka-Burka...

Greg Ontarioflag.gif

Yes, Perfection Powdercoating in Edmonchuk does Jet-Hot coating. They also did my subframe and aluminum undertray, but in Flat Black instead of Sterling.

Top Gun coatings in Calgary does Jet Hot coatings too.

Neither are licensed Jet Hot shops, as in, they do not use the brand name, but it's the same ceramic process.

• Member Contributer
Thanks for the info guys. Some of the pics I've seen of the Motad look like they aren't welded too well. I do like the stainless steel, but you're right, it might not be worth the extra cash to ship them over here.

I can't seem to find used 98-99's, so I figured the next best thingwould be to order new OEM 98-99.

I like the idea of sending my stocks in to the "cathospital", veefer. If it is a much cheaper mod for the same results, why not right? Keep me posted if you get a group price.

If a group buy for JHC is in the works count me in. I've got 98 VFR and that coating looks awesome. :thumbsup:

Motad does have a distributor in the US, have a read through this thread:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28180

And Wooly, those ARE '98-'99 OEM catless headers. Not 2000-2001's with the cat removed.

Though others have opened up their 2000-2001s and removed the cats, you are left with a big empty chamber and I'm not sure what that does for exhaust flow.

I think Trace did the de-catification on his yellow 2K, IIRC. There's probably a thread around here somewhere on it.

The Motad product is of course more expensive as world demand for stainless continues to drive the prices out the ceiling, not much we can do about that.

As for finish, the welds on the batches we now have in stock are 100 times better, we have been improving the production and finish for some time and although it is all under the fairing and unseen (and has no effect on performance on any dyno test we have seen), they do look prettier...!

But... maybe it looks like it is time for another Group Buy, being Wintertime and all... :blink:

Anybody interested?

Steve Larson

Motad Exhausts North America

• Member Contributer

If a group buy for JHC is in the works count me in. I've got 98 VFR and that coating looks awesome. :thumbsup:

Hi Bob,

Lots of stuff to do? Hey check out www.jet-hot.com --- they have a facility in the states you send your pipes too. Look them up - they will help you out. (this is on my someday list, I'm not taking my ride apart again for quite a while.)

MD

Archived