Need 929 Rear Shock Spring Advice.

Smola67

• Member Contributer

So I have a set of .95 sonic springs on the way for the front and am now looking for something to match up with them for the rear. Not doing the re-valving now, just the springs.

So here are my specs.

I weigh 250lbs, carry luggage, prob 50-60 lbs of stuff at times plus the weight of the bags, and ride 2-up some as well.

This is the text from the email I got from Traxxion Dynamics.

think I have a spring that will work, I would need the ID and free length

measurements of the spring. What year is the VFR? Our recommended spring for

the 929 is an 850, and for the VFR is around a 1300lb, depending on your

weight. We sell Hyperco springs, and they are $100.

#1 So what is the ID and the free length of the 929 spring?

#2 Does anyone have any recommendation on what spring weight to get?

So my total cost in the end for the springs, shipping, and labor cost to a local shop to switch out the rear spring is $240. Not bad. I will be doing the front springs myself.

Re-valving may come next winter.

Thanks so much guys.

Jim Smola

• Member Contributer
That 1300 lb(23kg) is right in the ballpark, I'm running a (1100lb) 19kg/.95 combo and weigh 190lbs.

So at least a 21kg up to the 23kg. (kg = 56.1 lb) :thumbsup:

Thanks B

Now I just need this info and I can order the spring.

#1 So what is the ID and the free length of the 929 spring?

• Member Contributer

Here is my latest email. They do not seem to have the size I am looking for and they also do not have a spacer to sell me to fill the gap.

HERE IS THE LATEST EMAL

Ok, I have a 6" spring in stock in 1300lb. You may want to check and make

sure that you will have enough threads to put a little preload on with a 6"

spring. With a spring that heavy you will only need to put about 4mm of

preload on it. I can order a 7" spring if you think that will fit better.

Thanks,

Dan

Looks like I may look into another spring company for more options. Anyone have any recommendation on a different company to get a spring from?

Here is my latest email. They do not seem to have the size I am looking for and they also do not have a spacer to sell me to fill the gap.

HERE IS THE LATEST EMAL

Thanks,

Dan

Looks like I may look into another spring company for more options. Anyone have any recommendation on a different company to get a spring from?

Yes, Ohlins USA, 703-C Old Spartanburg Rd, Hendersonville, NC 28792 828-692-4525

$98.95 plus shipping and will have or can get exactly the one you need, Not a 6" or 7". <_<

You might be able to get away with the 6", but won't have most of the preload adjustment range left if any.

HERE IS THE LATEST EMAL

Thanks,

Dan

You should ask Traxxion if they sell spacers for the springs. You could get the 6" spring and then make up the 7/16" with a spacer. And I would not go with the 7" spring.

I'd like to know that part#. I have a 929 and I'll measure it tonight. How hard is it to replace the spring on the shock? I plan on doin it myself.

It's quite hard to do. You really need to have the right tools. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

HERE IS THE LATEST EMAL

Thanks,

Dan

You should ask Traxxion if they sell spacers for the springs. You could get the 6" spring and then make up the 7/16" with a spacer. And I would not go with the 7" spring.

Sorry but take a look at the thread that you quoted. I asked them for a spacer and they do not have them. Thanks though. Looks like I will be following your lead B. Thanks for all the help guys.

HERE IS THE LATEST EMAL

Thanks,

Dan

Yes, Ohlins USA, 703-C Old Spartanburg Rd, Hendersonville, NC 28792 828-692-4525

$98.95 plus shipping and will have or can get exactly the one you need, Not a 6" or 7". <_<

You might be able to get away with the 6", but won't have most of the preload adjustment range left if any.

:unsure:

• Member Contributer

HERE IS THE LATEST EMAL

Thanks,

Dan

Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!! This is maybe just 30 minutes north of me. Looks like I may be going straight up to see them. Putting in a call in the morning. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

HERE IS THE LATEST EMAL

Thanks,

Dan

Sorry! no disrespect by the post about the spacer. Just pointing out that I mentioned it before.

:unsure:

• Member Contributer

Latest update from TD: ---...---

I only have 1" spacers.

===========================

Champions Choose Traxxion...

Dan Anderson

Traxxion Dynamics, Inc.

:thumbsup: :unsure: +1.gif

• Member Contributer

Thanks so much Bling.

I went from racing cars which had a complete suspension setup tuned to my liking too the vrf which has a suspension not to my liking. Wish I would have done this sooner. In all I think I have learned a lot about my VFR in the first year of ownership and look forward to the next year. I think it is time for some HID lights. On to another post. :unsure:

Go to hprworld.com (or is it hrpworld.com). They are a Hyperco spring dealer. A Hyperco spring is a Hyperco spring regardless if it's on a VFR or an Outlaw sprint car or an Indy car.

Their selection is huge and they sell them all day long at $66.95 + $8.95 to ship. Bought a bunch from them. Great service.

• Member Contributer
Go to hprworld.com (or is it hrpworld.com). They are a Hyperco spring dealer. A Hyperco spring is a Hyperco spring regardless if it's on a VFR or an Outlaw sprint car or an Indy car.

Their selection is huge and they sell them all day long at $66.95 + $8.95 to ship. Bought a bunch from them. Great service.

Thanks and ill check it out.

Got my front .95 sonic springs on the bike today and can easily see that the rear is going to have a hard time keeping up until I get the new rear spring. Also got the blue LED dash light in. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Did you talk to Ohlins USA yet????????????

Sent them a few emails but no reply. I think I will take a ride up to their shop after turkey day. Sometime next week. So far all of the replies I have is to send in the shop and they will put on a spacer. FINGERS ARE CROSSED FOR oHLINS. i AM SURE THEY CAN TAKE CARE OF ME.

• 2 months later...
Did you talk to Ohlins USA yet????????????

Sent them a few emails but no reply. I think I will take a ride up to their shop after turkey day. Sometime next week. So far all of the replies I have is to send in the shop and they will put on a spacer. FINGERS ARE CROSSED FOR oHLINS. i AM SURE THEY CAN TAKE CARE OF ME.

Call them, 828-692-4525

Looks like a 1092-65 is close to what you need if I read this right? 6.7 x 1200 lbs :warranty:

here's their spring chart!

Ohlinsspringchart.jpg

• 1 month later...

1092-89 is the 1200 lb spring. I dont know if that will fit. The 1092 is 6.7" stock is 6.4. I know the 1091 that is 6.3" would work but highest spring rate on it is 11.21Kg. Stock spring rate on the 929 shock is 15.3Kg. So the 1092 is the only viable option, but will it fit?

Has anyone ever re-sprung a 929 shock for a VFR?

If so what spring fits?

The guy at Ohlins reccommended not going more than 3 steps up on spring rate from stock. The springrate can overcome the valving and cause issues.

Assuming the 1092 fits, then I'm gonna try the 1092-69 (17.32Kg) or the 1092-74 (18.34Kg)

BTW I wish I had redone the valves on my forks now because going from factory .74 to .95 is a big jump & is overwhelming the valves a bit.

1092-89 is the 1200 lb spring. I dont know if that will fit. The 1092 is 6.7" stock is 6.4. I know the 1091 that is 6.3" would work but highest spring rate on it is 11.21Kg. Stock spring rate on the 929 shock is 15.3Kg. So the 1092 is the only viable option, but will it fit?

Has anyone ever re-sprung a 929 shock for a VFR?

If so what spring fits?

The guy at Ohlins reccommended not going more than 3 steps up on spring rate from stock. The springrate can overcome the valving and cause issues.

Assuming the 1092 fits, then I'm gonna try the 1092-69 (17.32Kg) or the 1092-74 (18.34Kg)

BTW I wish I had redone the valves on my forks now because going from factory .74 to .95 is a big jump & is overwhelming the valves a bit.

They don't make a 1091 in more then 650lbs so that won't work!

You might be ok preload wise using the 1092 and starting on the #1 preload position which will already have an extra .4" preload on it from it's extra length. :unsure: I would use a 1092-74 or 79.

Ideally re-valving for the bigger spring would be best, but you might be able to control the spring with the stock adjustments. :thumbsup:

Archived