Reg. Rectifier

dancinkozmo

Im in the market for a used viffer, Does anyone know which model years were prone to R/R problems ?

Thanks

3rd, 4th and early 5th gen VFRs had problems with their OEM supplied RRs. Honda did issue an updated (finned) RR for the 3rd and 4th and seems to have made quite a difference in reliability. All VFRs with the old style non-finned RR should get the RR update before being taken into any significantly long trips...anywhere! A lttle pricey Up to 200 bucks in some places, but cheaper than a long tow back to home base. Had my updated RR on my 4th gen for about four years already, with no problems at all.......so far, knock on wood! Changed it when I noticed that my charging voltage was dropping below 12 volts towards 10 volts when riding the bike a few miles. Oh, consider adding on an on-board voltmeter on all generation VFRs so that you can monitor your charging system's condition when you're riding.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
Im in the market for a used viffer, Does anyone know which model years were prone to R/R problems ?

Thanks

3rd, 4th and early 5th gen VFRs had problems with their OEM supplied RRs. Honda did issue an updated (finned) RR for the 3rd and 4th and seems to have made quite a difference in reliability. All VFRs with the old style non-finned RR should get the RR update before being taken into any significantly long trips...anywhere! A lttle pricey Up to 200 bucks in some places, but cheaper than a long tow back to home base. Had my updated RR on my 4th gen for about four years already, with no problems at all.......so far, knock on wood! Changed it when I noticed that my charging voltage was dropping below 12 volts towards 10 volts when riding the bike a few miles. Oh, consider adding on an on-board voltmeter on all generation VFRs so that you can monitor your charging system's condition when you're riding.

Beck

95 VFR

Hey Guys,

It's funny how when I need information and I look to the forum it seems to be thread topic of the day...Rectifier Problems for VFR.

I have a 3rd Gen and yes I've had troubles with the OEM RR's . But my presumable Honda RR(two years) crapped out yesterday. Fortunately this time it did not leave me stranded. I was able to get to the end of my drive way after a 80 mile ride. . and the bike died...I pushed it up the driveway and smiled wink.gif

I'm going out to the garage tonight to do some voltage checks. UGH....

I guess I can't complain too much about my rectifier woes... the VFR750 is otherwise a perfect motorcycle wink.gif and a blast to fly !

f

• Member Contributer

All years fail as it's a consumable part but some more than others. My advice: buy the viffer you like, add a voltmeter, monitor and ride with an easy conscience.

Beck

95 VFR

My 94 left me stuck 100 miles from home with this. Luckily a new battery got me home and I am replacing it with an R1 R/R ($30 off Ebay) and also an on board volt meter (Another $30) to make sure everything is in check.

If you go with a 2000+ model, do the monitor wire fix. For any model addign a redundant set of power/ground wires is a good idea, as is upgrading the stock 30 amp fuse.

Voltmeter is also a good addition.

Simple pics of the R1 from an 04-06 model, we've seen a bunch, so I will keep it to a minimum. Took all of ~45 going slow and sipping a cheap beer. Love this site, HUGE help! Thanks to the contributors.

216082783-XL.jpg

With ~1/2" trimmed off the fins, it just barely fits. The bottom hole is mounted on the stock stud which is too short

216082851-XL.jpg

Zip tied to the subframe until I can get some longer bolts, remove stock stud and just bolt the sucker there. Doubt it ever needs replacing again. :thumbsup:

216082721-XL.jpg

Archived