Track Tire Pressure At Track

mellowyellow

ok guys, I will be doing my first track tomorrow and I would like to know what tire pressures some of you guys like to run at the track. as far as my bike I have a fifth gen with new pilot powers 2ct and ohlins rear shock if that matters any.

track is poconno east and it looks like temps will be in the low 60's

Last time I was at the track, the instructors advised me to start out at 30/30 and adjust from there. I liked the feel as it was, and didn't drop any farther--but it was a hot day out at Thunderhill in Northern CA.

• Forum CEO
ok guys, I will be doing y first track tomorrow and I would like to know what tire pressures some of you guys like to run at the track. as far as my bike I have a fifth gen with new pilot powers 2ct and ohlins rear shock if that matters any.

track is poconno east ant it looks like temps will be in the low 60's

I think it depends on the tire itself, such as a Pirelli Diablo - it has a thick sidewall so lower pressures can help with feel and help smooth out the bumps. However a Pilot Power has a very thin sidewall and low pressures make it feel mushy and it can squirm quite a bit with only 30psi. What tire are you running?

ok guys, I will be doing y first track tomorrow and I would like to know what tire pressures some of you guys like to run at the track. as far as my bike I have a fifth gen with new pilot powers 2ct and ohlins rear shock if that matters any.

I was just there today, and the guys from PTT recommended 32psi front and rear. :thumbsup:

I think it depends on the tire itself, such as a Pirelli Diablo - it has a thick sidewall so lower pressures can help with feel and help smooth out the bumps. However a Pilot Power has a very thin sidewall and low pressures make it feel mushy and it can squirm quite a bit with only 30psi. What tire are you running?

pilot powers 2ct front and rear brand new

I was just there today, and the guys from PTT recommended 32psi front and rear. :thumbsup:

what do you think about the track Seb I hear it is a bit bumpy. and did you ride the vfr or the cbr?

So where's the write-up????????? +1.gif

So where's the write-up????????? +1.gif

Coming soon, waiting on some more pics... where's yours??

Track is bumpy, but not bad(but then I've worked my suspension and have an Ohlins on the rear, so YMMV)

Rode the F4i! :thumbsup:

Agreed- 3 different trackside tire workers (including some working with just Michelin) on 3 different days have all recommended running 37psi in the Pilot Powers at the track b/c of the softer sidewalls. My results have been great but give it a try and decide for yourself (and talk to the people who deal with tires at tracks every week- they generally have some authority).

so I completed my first track day, I ran 31psi front and rear and never touched the tires again unit I pumped them up for the ride home. I had so much fun and the vfr performed excellent, if I could change one thing it would be better brakes, coming out of the straight away I was going about 125 and it took alot of braking to scrub off that speed and set up for that quick left turn. other than that if I wasnt caught up behind another rider in the right hair pin I could run the whole track in third gear bouncing off the rev limiter exiting the straight.

I still need to work on my body position, I was going fast and scraping my pegs but never got a knee down.

thanks for all the advice guys.

• Member Contributer
so I completed my first track day, I ran 31psi front and rear and never touched the tires again unit I pumped them up for the ride home. I had so much fun and the vfr performed excellent, if I could change one thing it would be better brakes, coming out of the straight away I was going about 125 and it took alot of braking to scrub off that speed and set up for that quick left turn. other than that if I wasnt caught up behind another rider in the right hair pin I could run the whole track in third gear bouncing off the rev limiter exiting the straight.

I still need to work on my body position, I was going fast and scraping my pegs but never got a knee down.

thanks for all the advice guys.

I fully agree with what you said. I did track days and I'm fully addicted. At the race club where I go, I was told that michelin needed to be way lower than the rest of them, which seems to contradict what everyone else is saying here. Also, the cold pressure, as I understand it, is only a starting point. It is the warm setting that really matter.

Bridgestone BT002 - COLD: 31 front and 30 rear is an excellent starting point. WARM (right after I come off the track) 36 and 36. Now my rear was shredding a bit more (probably because it is a heavy bike) so I kept the pressure slightly higher - 37/38 warm.

My best recommendation is find a racer who runs the same tires you do and ask him for advice. That's what I did and that's when I figured out that the pressure is also taken when the tires are warm.

SG

:offtopic: I'll buy a race bike this winter because I loved it so much. I think everyone who owns a sportbike owes it to himself/herself to do at least 1 track day in their life.

Archived