Vfr Vs Fz1

Guest Kitten

Haven't been around in a while.... geesh there's a lot of stuff for me to catch up on.

Here is the situation... I'm once again looking at replacing my Magna and the bikes which have my attention are... the VFR (as it always has) and the FZ1. I have taken both out for test rides but the rides were only 30-40 minutes. That doesn't really give me an idea of what they would be like for long road trips. But the bike has to be able to deal with the usual stop and go traffic of commuting.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

• Member Contributer

A few questions for your question:

What year bikes....What will be the primary duty (commute, tour, track involved?) Do you have any ailments? (bad knee, sore wrist). Mileage if used. Going to be riding with a passenger? How much experience do you have with bikes?

These things will make it easier to make suggestions

I almost bought a new '06 FZ1 just before I decided I really had my heart set on a 6th gen. VFR, which I bought over a year ago. I never got to test ride an FZ1, 1st or 2nd gen., but would still like to sometime. I think the FZ1 would make for a better commuting bike in heavy traffic and I know it'll go hard with that re-tuned R1 engine in it. At least some of the '06 bikes had a nasty fuel injection issue, but IIRC most could be fixed with a $200-$300 mod.

The FZ1 has a ton of power, supposedly handles well, has a centerstand and is mostly naked so it's easy to service. I don't know about aftermarket goodies, but I'd guess there is a good amount out there by now for the 2nd gen. and a lot available for the 1st gen. Yamaha quality is good and there is a vast dealer network if you have problems with the bike. From what I know they don't exactly fly off the showroom floor, so perhaps you can get a great deal on a new one. Heck, one shop near me still has a brand new '04 or '05 in stock!

For me it came down to the sleek and fully faired style of the VFR, with better wind protection, cheaper insurance (my '04 VFR vs. a then brand new '06 FZ1) and what my heart desired. I love my bike's head-turning looks, versatility, fuel economy, cost to insure - and of course this forum. While the FZ1 has at least one pretty good forum I think VFRD is much better. May not make much of a difference in a decision as to which bike to buy, but I think the how-to guides and technical info available here just plain rocks!

One other note: The FZ1's footpegs are in a terrible spot for me. I have short legs and the pegs are right where my calves would be when sitting at a light, making it tough to comfortably put a foot down without leaning the bike over further than I'd like during a stop. Not a huge screaming deal, but it is annoying and one more reason I didn't buy the Yam.

I just saw a new '07 FZ1 in a local shop and I still love the looks of it. While I'm convinced I bought the right bike for me, I'd still love to get my hands on that Yamaha, at least for a proper test ride, LOL.

A few questions for your question:

What year bikes....What will be the primary duty (commute, tour, track involved?) Do you have any ailments? (bad knee, sore wrist). Mileage if used. Going to be riding with a passenger? How much experience do you have with bikes?

These things will make it easier to make suggestions

I'm mainly looking at the 2006 model of both bikes.

It will be primarily for commuting, with some touring and the occassional track day. Normally the other half and I go for a couple of long trips.... a week to two weeks at a time, most of that spent in the saddle.

As for ailments, no bad knees, sore wrists, back or anything like that. I don't ride with passengers so that's not an issue.

As for experience, I used to ride when I was a teenager (mostly offroad)... stopped for a while when I was in college.... then got back into it about 7 years ago. I have taken the Fast Phase I course in Shannonville, as well as most of the riding courses offered through the Ottawa Safety Council.

07 FZ1 has been completely remapped at that factory, solving some of the annoyances of the 06 (fuel injection mostly). Other than that they are exactly the same between 06 and 07. I rode a friend's 05 and it was very strong when you open it up. The wind blast can get uncomfortable at times and the riding position makes for good commuting. My left heel was being pushed by the rear swingarm (didn't like that) when tucking in my feet. The engine is quiet but buzzy at higher revs. I ride a 3rd gen VFR which has a sportier riding position than the newer ones, so I wouldn't be able to compare. I still prefer the VFR but then again I am only limited to the 3rd gen.

It will be primarily for commuting, with some touring and the occassional track day. Normally the other half and I go for a couple of long trips.... a week to two weeks at a time, most of that spent in the saddle.

VFR! I had an FZ6 before the VFR and where it is a different bike the passenger accomodations are similar. The rear pegs on the FZ1 are further back and not nearly as rooms as the Viffer's rear pegs. I would like to have an FZ1, just not more than my VFR.

Slap on a trunk w/backrest and some side cases and you have a nice 2 up tourer. Of course you could do the same thing to the Yamaha.

Guest 767fixer
Normally the other half and I go for a couple of long trips.... a week to two weeks at a time, most of that spent in the saddle.
I don't ride with passengers so that's not an issue.

holy crap! you make her walk for weeks at a time! :blink:

• Member Contributer

You have come to the right place to get an objective opinion :lurk:

I would love to see answers to the same post on the FZ1 forum. It should be a riot to compare... :lol:

As for my personal opinion, I would prefer a VFR. Can't you tell?

Seriously though, I have pretty much identical situation as far as intended usage goes. Having done extensive research of VFR, FZ1, Futura, Ducati ST and Sprint ST, I chose the VFR and do not regret it. The deciding factors were:

1. Price

2. Cost of maintenance/reliability

3. Looks

4. Ability to handle commuting, track and touring duties equally well

5. The VFR community and this damned website wink.gif

Having done all that research and having owned/ridden many bikes in this segment, I realize that there is no such thing as an ideal bike and that I would have to perfect any bike I got to suit my needs. I just figured that a VFR is the best place to start.... For me.

• Member Contributer

The 07 FZ1 is all new and getting rave reviews....The 06 Viffer is the same as 02+

(Motor)

The FZ1 (06) has a gob of torque/hp. It is a revamped R1 engine so it has the ummph.

The Viffer is smoother at higher RPMs and made for sucking up the highway miles.

(Handling)

The FZ has handlebars and not clip ons. It has a upright seating position and is flickable because it doesnt weight much

The Viffer handles well but not as well as the FZ because of weight, but it can handle its own

Both can use suspension set up

(Comfort)

The FZ is a little cramped if you are tall, the seat is just a step above a sportsbike but your going to be hurting after 700+ miles

The Viffer is all day comfort hands down, less buzz in the clip ons and you can get hard bags, you can't for the Fizz

(Price)

The Fizz is cheaper because it's a standard, but you get alot of bike for its price

The Viffer is more pricey but holds it's value ALOT more than the Fizz

(Maintenance)

The Fizz is cheaper because it's an inline 4 and everyone works on them..Hardly any fairing to replace incase of an opps but more internal components exposed incase of an oww crap.

The Viffer is the opposite not everyone is V4 inclined and the fairings are expensive incase of an opps but it also holds up well during oww crap moments..Center stand for easy maintenance

(2 Up)

The Fz is not passenger friendly, cramped and tiny seat, they sit above the rider (can see over their head)

The Viffer is much more passenger friendly, wide seat. Side grips instead of rear

You can't really go wrong with either and looks will play a big part in how you feel about them. Take the significant other put her on the back of each, see how close she is and if you feel comfortable with her just sitting there. Good luck in the purchase

Normally the other half and I go for a couple of long trips.... a week to two weeks at a time, most of that spent in the saddle.

I don't think my husband would appreciate being called a her :P

• Member Contributer

A good friend of mine recently bought an 06 FZ1 and I was able to spend some seat time on it.

Long story short, there was only ONE thing that stood above and beyond my 6th gen VFR, and that was the sheer power from the R1 powerplant.

Handling didn't seem any better or worse at typical elevated street speeds, the VFR was more comfortable and definately has way better wind protection and the instrumentation on the VFR is clearer and easier to read. Also, in my opinion, the VFR is a better looking machine.

In the end, I was actually quite disappointed in the FZ1.

If I were you, I'd go 6th Gen VFR.

• Member Contributer

HAHAHAHAHA You got us. :lol:

It's funny how we automatically assume that it is a guy...

No, actually, it's funny when we are wrong :blink:

Most times we are right though wink.gif

A good friend of mine recently bought an 06 FZ1 and I was able to spend some seat time on it.

Long story short, there was only ONE thing that stood above and beyond my 6th gen VFR, and that was the sheer power from the R1 powerplant.

Handling didn't seem any better or worse at typical elevated street speeds, the VFR was more comfortable and definately has way better wind protection and the instrumentation on the VFR is clearer and easier to read. Also, in my opinion, the VFR is a better looking machine.

In the end, I was actually quite disappointed in the FZ1.

If I were you, I'd go 6th Gen VFR.

That was the impression I got from the demos.... hmmm.... guess it really comes down to how much power I want.

• Member Contributer

Insurance may be a factor, too. I know my insurance carrier only rates bikes on displacement, so the FZ1 would automatically be more.

The poor fueling on the 2006 FZ1 has been mentioned already. You could either get a PCIII and a dyno tune to smooth it out, or get an '07 instead, where it was fixed at the factory.

Guest 767fixer

he could have feminine qualities <_<

whats worse is you make him walk!!! smile.gif

+1 on the wind protection and instrumentation comments. I think the FZ1 windshield looks like it was an afterthought. It's so small. If Yamaha put the FZ6's windshield on the FZ1, then they'd have something.

As for power, yes the liter bike is going to have more, but chances are you'll have to rev it up a bit to get it. The beauty of the VFR's V4 engine configuration is that you get plenty of usable torque lower in the rpm range than most inline 4s, while still being able to rev it up if you want to. It's nice not having to downshift to pass or just pick up the pace a little.

More power can be a great thing, but most of us are perfectly happy with the 800cc Honda gave us. There are a couple things that can be done to increase hp by 5-10%, but the stock bike is still pretty darn fast, running 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds. That's only about 1/2 a second slower than more pure sportbikes. How much more power do you really need for the streets?

BTW, I also think the VFR is better looking, but I could be biased. :P

HAHAHAHAHA You got us. :lol:

It's funny how we automatically assume that it is a guy...

No, actually, it's funny when we are wrong :blink:

Most times we are right though wink.gif

OK, with a user ID of "Kitten" why would you folks have thought this was a guy?! <_< :lol:

Insurance may be a factor, too. I know my insurance carrier only rates bikes on displacement, so the FZ1 would automatically be more.

Insurance is different for everyone, esp. once you start talking about different insurance companies, too, but IIRC for me these two bikes in the same vintage would have cost about the same to insure at the same coverage levels. The FZ1 should cost less to insure as the average supersport.

• Member Contributer

Kitten,

Very good question and great responses. The one thing the VFR has over the FZ1 is ........ Yamaha sells maybe 5or6 to only 1

VFR. So you are not going to pass yourself on the road. Either way they are great bikes,BUT for my $$$$ get the VIFFER!!!

• Member Contributer

Speaking of which Kitten,

When you sit on both remember the one that you can flat foot better you will be more comfortable on when stops (mainly emergency braking) is involved. You can get each lowered but that alsow affects the handling

Oh Lewis, where are you? Paging Ulewz!

I try to avoid these posts, but you asked. Having owned both, I feel I can offer a good review of both.

As far as power, an FZ1 1st gen is much much faster with a few small mods, jet kit and exhaust.

The FZ1 suspension is fully adjustable, but sucks without mods. Plan on spending $1300 to make it fly.

No problems with cross winds like the VFR. Mine would blow me accross lanes.

I added a lower fairing to improve the looks of the 1st gen, which is not nearly as fast looking as the 2nd gen.

The stock handlebars are way to high, so lower risers are the norm.

No lower back pain, but there is upper back pain. Must be the riding position.

Good all day ergos, but not good for the track.

Can add a multigage that has temp, digital speedo, 0 to 60 timer, fuel gage, water temp, and speedo healer built in. About $350 and my favorite mod.

Problems areas: Leaky fork seals. Low end bog. Bad fuel injection on 06, fixed with 07. Inline 4 (this one is for BLS, but I don't really have an opinion)

The VFR:

The 6th gen has very capable suspension, but not fully adjustable. Plan on spending the same to make it fly.

Better cockpit gages and a temp gage.

Drop the front sprocket down one tooth and it can almost accelerate with the FZ1, but not if the FZ1 has the same mod.

Better looks hands down.

Heavier, not good.

Big fuel tank, about the same as the 1st gen fZ1, but no the 2nd gen.

Single sided swingarm, big plus.

Honda red, big plus for me.

Sportbike ergos, good for the canyons, but bad for traveling IMO.

Linked brakes, you either love them or hate them. I have no opinion.

Problem areas: Kickstand bolt comes loose, Wire harness chaffing, vtec hickup (doesn't bother me), Rectifier sucks, its not if, but when will it go out.

One final note: The VFR has a much better forum community. The FZ1 site is overrun buy political spewing riders in many of the threads. I hardly ever go there anymore. Now thumpertalk, that is another story that occupies most of my online time.

I know a lady instructor at Humber who rides the FZ1. She loves it.

Here is a link to her bio from her MC touring company website, Trillium Tours.

http://www.trilliumtours.com/about.htm

I think there is also a contact link. I am quite sure she would respond to an email about her bike and riding in general. She would be able to offer a real hands on opinion.

Good luck with the decision.

Ahem!!!! <_<

Read between the lines guys... The name wasn't TomKitten! :goofy:

Check the profile, (also notice WHO visited first)

I can't believe I beat Travis this time :thumbsup:

I guess he was busy scanning Sarah, also a new lady member. smile.gif

Can't opinionate on the choices, so I'll just say VFR :wheel:

Like everyone else here, welcome and stay, even if you choose the other. ALL kinds of moto interest topics on this site!

Greg Ontarioflag.gif

Nice analysis and comparison Lewis. :thumbsup:

I guess your transition to the dirt side is pretty much complete. :D

Not quite yet. Going streetriding with the wiffey this Saturday, and dirtbike riding on Monday. I learned how to slide around corners in the dirt, and it is just too much fin. One thing, you need to be in shape to ride in the dirt. I have been riding the recumbent bike at least 4 times a week. Nothing like being winded on a tight trail with cliffs on either side.

Archived