What Alloy Of Aluminum Are The Rims On A Vfr?

KanadianKen

I picked up an 8 spoker rim, and plan to get it bead blasted to take the paint off. I want to get it clear anodized (no colour) as well as the front rim.

The anodizer said that they need to know what alloy of aluminum the rims are - as sometimes the clear anodize comes out really dark.

Anyone know the answer to this?

thanks!

cut me off a piece and ill send it out for evaluation :beer:

I knew I could count on you Fixer!! :thumbsup:

thats not such a bad idea though - anyone got a rim that is so badly dented or bent that could hack a chunk off?

Some recyclers have a device that can distinguish between the alloys. Some alloys are worth much more so its to their advantage to sort them. This would have to be local as the devise has to touch the bare aluminum to work. You could also ask one of the wheel repair guys to see if they happen to know.

Clear powdercoat an option?

• Member Contributer

The recycler analysis will probably need to create an electrical spark.

My local anodizer said it was easy to see if the aluminum alloy would anodize properly or turn out grey. They have a caustic bath as one of the steps; dip the component in there & if it turns grey it will also turn grey when anodizing. Can they not put some of that caustic on the inside of the wheel as a test.

Guest 767fixer
They have a caustic bath as one of the steps; dip the component in there & if it turns grey it will also turn grey when anodizing. Can they not put some of that caustic on the inside of the wheel as a test.

thats how we actually do it at work. we use an acid and a color depth chart that gets you a high degree of accuracy to the alloy.

• Member Contributer
I picked up an 8 spoker rim, and plan to get it bead blasted to take the paint off. I want to get it clear anodized (no colour) as well as the front rim.

The anodizer said that they need to know what alloy of aluminum the rims are - as sometimes the clear anodize comes out really dark.

thanks!

I have no idea what type of alloy the wheel is, but....

If you bead blast it the whole wheel will look rough cast and dull. Anodizing will definitely darken it.

If you want a shiny wheel, you will need to get it polished and then clear anodized - assuming the grade of alloy does not darken with the application.

An alternative is to have the wheel chemically stripped which will give it a 'two-tone' look. You could then apply a top-grade clearcoat such as Nyalic/Everbrite. This will also work well if you have the whole wheel polished.

gallery_654_61_16665.jpg

90-93 rear A.jpg Stripped third gen. wheel

thanks!

I have no idea what type of alloy the wheel is, but....

If you bead blast it the whole wheel will look rough cast and dull. Anodizing will definitely darken it.

If you want a shiny wheel, you will need to get it polished and then clear anodized - assuming the grade of alloy does not darken with the application.

An alternative is to have the wheel chemically stripped which will give it a 'two-tone' look. You could then apply a top-grade clearcoat such as Nyalic/Everbrite. This will also work well if you have the whole wheel polished.

gallery_654_61_16665.jpg

90-93 rear A.jpg Stripped third gen. wheel

Hmmm. If I get the rim blasted, and I then get it black powder coated - will it have the rough finish - or will it be smooth and shiny? I'm leaning toward just getting it powder coated black - save on the cost of doing the front as well.

thanks

• Member Contributer

If you want a shiney finish Ken, powder coating will not cover up bead blasting, you are far better off doing the chemical stripping, you will have far more control over the finished product, in addition to the fact should you ever change your mind, polishing the wheel out after bead blasting would be a serious bitch.

If you want a shiney finish Ken, powder coating will not cover up bead blasting, you are far better off doing the chemical stripping, you will have far more control over the finished product, in addition to the fact should you ever change your mind, polishing the wheel out after bead blasting would be a serious bitch.

thanks - message received and plans changed. I'll look for a chemical stripper - I'm not gonna mess with it. GLoss black is going to be instead of the clear.

:thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Japanese Alloy-Minimum , its a soup can, beer can, pop can mix that gets melted, then smelted, and dealted into a mold, it wont rust but bends like silly putty when you hit a pothole, safe to speeds of 35 mph and more, not as good as the soviet titanium used on Ural sidecar wheels but still pretty good nonetheless, the best material you can make wheels out of is actually made of spider webs mixed with epoxy, it takes over 1000 webs to get just one once of material, just watch the show on that guy with the bear-proof armour jackets..hope this helps you ken...

• Member Contributer

I like the gloss black rims on Red (2003-2004) 6th gens. I also have Red strips on the lips. The gloss black is easier to clean.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer

Bunch of wiseinheimers out there. Classic stuff from Dougfromindy.

Shirley you saw my thread from ages ago. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...amp;hl=complete . The paint comes off reasonably well with that cheapo stripper. I really think you will want to put that clearcoat (like Everbrite/Nylac) on top of your gloss black, unless you plan a black powdercoat. IMO, Honda uses a decent paint on their wheels, which is hard to duplicate out of a gun or can. It's fair to assume your wheels are sans tires, so be extra careful not to drop while performing the deed.

Your name is Shirley, right? :beer:

Archived