Will A 180 Fit

AussieinUSA

• Member Contributer

I may have a good lead on some pilot powers for my 97 but not sure A: Whether it will fit and B: If so are there any positives and or negatives by going with the bigger tire, 4th gens come with a 170. I love the powers on the RC and have found someone that wants to unload a set, just so happens I need a set :D Thanks Greg

Go for it Greg, I did the Snowy Ride in 2002, 4th Gen on Pilot Powers with a 180 rear, and it was perfect.

• Member Contributer
Go for it Greg, I did the Snowy Ride in 2002, 4th Gen on Pilot Powers with a 180 rear, and it was perfect.

Thanks Murray, when I move back to Oz i'm gunna do that ride, hopefully you'll join me :rolleyes:

I'm currently running 180 PP's on my 4th Gen and love them, I've run a 190 before and it cleared, but barely, I wouldn't want to go bigger than that. I would venture to say that if you try the 180 you won't go back to the 170.

the 4th gen's narrowish 5 inch rear rim will tend to pinch the 180's sidewall together changing the tire's profile. You don't really gain much more footprint with the wider tire than standard cuase the tread at the edge will be be too vertical because of the pinching effect that it would be almost impssible to use the edges of the tire without leaning the bike to crazy/dangerous(?) angles. IMO the standard size 170s are more than adequate for the 4th gen's performance and handling envelopes, unless maybe you install one of those new fangled "Torochargers" that's rumored to be available soon....? :rolleyes:

Anyway added to the unused tread effect you get with 180's, you end up with a heavier rear wheel which the porky VFRs cannot use.

gallery_285_20_328454.jpg

2 6 05 pics 006.jpg

Note the giant "chicken strips that I had with my overly wide designed Dunlop 207s (Their 207 170s were actually as wide as other brand 180s) I lean my bike pretty hard and that last inch plus of tread is too vertical that I just cannot get that area of the tire on the road and I'm afraid that I actually have a smaller contact patch at max lean with the wide tires compared to a more standard width 170 with the proper edge profiles (also note blueing at the edge of the scrubbed area which I heard could be from overheating maybe because of the smaller more stressed contact patch at the edge). I did not have this problem with the original, narrower 170s (Dunlop 204?) that came with the bike back in 95.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

A mechanic friend of mine put 180's on my 96. He did so without asking me as he knew some guys ran 180's on the 4th gen and figured "bigger was better".

I hated them. The turn-in was MUCH worse. At the time I was racing my CBR and doing a lot of track days and the occasional ride on the VFR just felt like a Goldwing.

Once I got back to 170's I was much happier.

• Member Contributer

I actually didn't like a 180 rear either. Went back to the 170 PP and love it. I think the profile is about perfect.

I'd love to get a 5th gen wheel and try that with a 180 though. :thumbsup:

YMMV wink.gif

I think a lot depends on the construction of the tyre - before using a 180 I was wary of the idea, I'd even fitted a 160 to see how it handled (loved it, made the VFR pig feel like my better half's Triumph 600). However I have to say the Pilot Power 180 was a revelation, I spent 4 days and nearly 3000km going at a 'fair clip' in the mountains and couldn't fault it.

It's possible (perhaps even likely) that other brands may not work as well if fitted as a 180 on a 5" rim, but as Greg is looking at Powers I think he will be just fine.

• Member Contributer
YMMV wink.gif

I think a lot depends on the construction of the tyre - before using a 180 I was wary of the idea, I'd even fitted a 160 to see how it handled (loved it, made the VFR pig feel like my better half's Triumph 600). However I have to say the Pilot Power 180 was a revelation, I spent 4 days and nearly 3000km going at a 'fair clip' in the mountains and couldn't fault it.

It's possible (perhaps even likely) that other brands may not work as well if fitted as a 180 on a 5" rim, but as Greg is looking at Powers I think he will be just fine.

Those are very good points.

The 180 I had on mine was a Dunlop!!

• Member Contributer

So I am currently looking at Pilot Powers in 180....should I go 180-60 or 180-55??? for my Gen4.

Another good question! The 55 will pull the tread surface into a smaller radii - this might make the bike feel less stable in a straight line but more flickable in corners.

Personally I'd go with the 60 because that's what's known to work. It would be interesting to be able to compare them, I'm sure a site like Fireblades.org would have some data in their archives on this topic.

Archived