R1 R/r

Guest Titan077

Guest Titan077

Does it matter what year of R1 R/R for the upgrade. I can get one from an 07.. But it has only one plug -in compared to the dual plug-ins that was pictured in the upgrade write-up I read.

Thanks for the info.

Titan

• Member Contributer

Any of them should work, you just need to find out which terminals are what. I would recomend the 04-06 RR simply because that is what I did and know it works well. I'm 99% sure that the R1 still uses a 3ph stator, in which case it will certianly work, but you may have to add a voltage monitor wire. Where the 04-06 is closer to a direct swap.

• Member Contributer

Huh, I just nabbed an 06 3 days ago for $25 shipped. Guy listed it for .01 and I offered him $25 shipped.

I'll begin the mod Monday.

Cool, thanks for the input. Went with one from an 06 with 2500 miles on the bike. :thumbsup: I didn't get that sweet deal either +1.gif but when you need it, you need it. Paid 55 total.

Titan

Just got done installing an 04 r1 r/r today. Got 14.32vdc at the battery at idle. I did add a gnd from the r/r to the battery and a charge line from the r/r to the battery. My stator wires got hot to the touch, but I've finally deceided that I have full cover on the viffer, so I'll ride it like I stole it.

I got the r1 r/r for $25 shipped off ebay a week ago. Be patient and one will come up for sale.

I for one went with a R/R from an 06 GSXR 1000 for my 5th Gen. I have put about 1k miles on it since the swap and it is working great. The best part was that it was a direct bolt up with the only mod was swaping out the factory end of the R/R with the new unit. Got that unit of Epay for $50 shipped but that was WAY better than the $200 the dealer wanted for that stock time bomb.

So has anyone else tried the GSXR R/R's sounds like it maybe the way to go if it's a direct swap.. This would be great, especially for those of us who are lacking in electrical skill aka me!!! I do have nunchuck skills though.

Titan

• Member Contributer
So has anyone else tried the GSXR R/R's sounds like it maybe the way to go if it's a direct swap.. This would be great, especially for those of us who are lacking in electrical skill aka me!!! I do have nunchuck skills though.

Titan

Sorry Titan but it isn't a direct swap, the connectors are different. I've had a 2002 gixxer unit on my superhawk for nearly 3 years. The VTR has the same lame r/r as the 4gen VFR (no fins at all). The stocker overcharged and burned out the connector so cutting it off and wiring the gixxer r/r was a non-issue for me.

gallery_611_2287_31959.jpg

IMG_3720.jpg

gallery_611_2287_38228.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

gallery_611_2287_28264.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

gallery_611_2287_7258.jpg

IMG_3727.jpg

As you can see the connectors are agonizing close but no cigar. After the explosion of the honda r/r, I also added a voltmeter: 14.2V on start up then after the battery is topped off it settles at 14.0 volts.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

The 02 R1RR is internally the same as the 04-06, but the 4-6 RR has a much larger heat sink. Not directly plug and play, but splicing the wires in isn't a biggie.

The 02 R1RR is internally the same as the 04-06, but the 4-6 RR has a much larger heat sink. Not directly plug and play, but splicing the wires in isn't a biggie.

I'm not afraid of splicing wires, but I need to fab my own connection the the R1 r/r all together, it didnt come with the yamaha plug/pigtail, can I get away with using female spade connectors and splice into the stock wiring that way, or is that connection not likely to hold up vs finding somehow some way the stock R1 plug(s)? A close up pic of the connections you have going into the yamaha r/r would be of great help if at all possible. Thanks!

Also, i jumped the gun a little a bought the 02-03 R1 r/r should have realized the diff. in the heat sinks but if it fails it fails, I'll be ready to replace with an 04' the next go around.

I would love to see a picture of the R1 R/R connector, to see if I can make a change-over harness for those who need it. Use covered spade connectors, that way there is no chance of them touching.

• Member Contributer

Without tearing mine apart, here is a shot. Each side of the R1 has its own OEM plug. Each male connector on the R1 RR is separated by a small divider.

gallery_2785_2094_14926.jpg

DSC06414.jpg

• Member Contributer

On a side note I spoke with a stator rewinder last week. He told me that the Yamaha R1 stators were a bad design as they generate too much juice for what was needed. He said the regulator for the R1 was of high quality to handle the stator flaw.

I mentioned that I put the R1 R/R on a VFR800 and he said the Honda's stator will never reach the output the Yamaha does and so the R/R will not be fully stressed/tested by the Honda output.

Well, I'm even more satisfied......

Thanks again to 007 and Chris.

I MAY have a source for those plugs, but they are VERY expensive. Like $25 for the 2 of them. OUCH. I will see if they indeed are right, and if so I will get a couple sets to make harnesses with for those who want the more factory look.

I MAY have a source for those plugs, but they are VERY expensive. Like $25 for the 2 of them. OUCH. I will see if they indeed are right, and if so I will get a couple sets to make harnesses with for those who want the more factory look.

I wish you would have been working on this harness a month or so ago before I started gathering parts to make my own piggy back style setup, yours definately would be cleaner and has me thinking anyhow, but hard to justify being I've got wires, fuse holder, new r/r/, and some other crap I cant even remember smile.gif

Let me know if you can get those yamaha style plugs, I hate to spend that on them but if my own abilities fail me it'd be great do know I've got a viable solution.

I wish you would have been working on this harness a month or so ago before I started gathering parts to make my own piggy back style setup, yours definately would be cleaner and has me thinking anyhow, but hard to justify being I've got wires, fuse holder, new r/r/, and some other crap I cant even remember smile.gif

Let me know if you can get those yamaha style plugs, I hate to spend that on them but if my own abilities fail me it'd be great do know I've got a viable solution.

So far only the grey connector is available, although they are the same other than the locking tab location. You could cut it off of the R/R and the grey one would then fit on the black one. Let me know if you need them, and if you want them incorporated into a harness as well.

how do u guys find out which pin does what??

So lets say our RR uses 6 pins, and another RR from a different bike uses 5 (less grnd wires), will it be okay to double up on grnd,etc wires?

I see R6 RR's pretty cheap...

• 4 months later...

Bringing this up from the dead, that would be my problem as well. My R1 r/r has 6 pins, however I dont know for sure which wire to connect with which terminal on the R1 unit after I cut the plugs off. Anybody?

• Member Contributer
Bringing this up from the dead, that would be my problem as well. My R1 r/r has 6 pins, however I dont know for sure which wire to connect with which terminal on the R1 unit after I cut the plugs off. Anybody?

Just get a CBR600RR unit and forget trying to figure out which wire(s) from other manufacturers bikes match up with the ones on your Honda. Gotta be a bajillion wrecked 600RR's out there...

gallery_654_2921_483808.jpg

cbr600rr regulator swap 001.jpg

Honda put an inferior quality RR on late 90's VFR's, VTR's and CBR's that all came from one supplier.

Archived