Shame On You North Bay Cycle.....

meddle1999

• Member Contributer

I am a customer service rep for a 2 billion dollar a year company. My equipment routinely costs well over 1.5 million dollars when it is sold. I work in a plant with over 3 billion dollars worth of equipment in it, from my company and hundreds of others. I speak from experience when it comes to customer satisfaction. I am a front line manager that interacts with the worlds largest manufacturer of computer CPU's everyday in my job. Mistakes by me or my team can cost my company hundreds of millions of dollars a year. I speak from experience when it comes to customer satisfaction.

I am not saying that ANYONE here is right or wrong now, just that you may want to rethink your customer service strategy.

The proper response should have been an apology that the customers expectations were not met. A question as to how you can rectify the customers opinion of you, and an offer to change the customers perception of you. It's called being "Above the Line", and is taught in almost every successful business training facility. Your job as a customer service rep is to kiss the customers backside in public, and if they are wrong you can complain about it in the back room. In public you are always apologetic, and offer the disgruntled customer something to make them happy. That something can be as trivial as an oil change that will cost your business $20, but might earn you years of return service at the formally disgruntled customers expense... Always, always, always look 1 year into the future...

As any successful advertiser will tell you, word of mouth referrals are the most powerful of advertising tools. The Internet just multiplies that factor... Continued attitude only lowers people's opinion of you.

So that there is no hiding here...

Robert Rowell

Phoenix, AZ

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I would also like to add that i have sent emails to the service department,parts department and sales department. none of which have been answered. I sent emails to cycle Canada editorial dept. and was met with a prompt response as well a Honda canada. North Bay cycles lack of response (in my opinion) shows there disregard for their customers. Their response here simply shows their regard for cash.

Now you know why so many bike dealerships are going out of business. Dealerships like this think they are still back in the '70s, before the information age.

This dealer had a chance to turn this into a positive for their business, but because of their pi$$-poor attitude towards their customers, its going to snowball downhill so that everyone in the province will spend their hard earned dollars somewhere else.

Hi Aaron - point taken. Now I'd like to respond.

The bottom line Aaron - we got you back on the road.

Dave Mascioli

And Cdn Tire could have to. And they would have lent you the multimeter for free and charged about $65 for the battery.

(i've had one in my 99 for 3 yrs now)

Just in case of emergency - Walmart sells motorcycle batteries now, one for the vfr in fact!

Not in Canada unfortunately...

The trick is to find a Walmart with an auto repair centre I think. The Ajax ON store sells batteries.

• Member Contributer

From their homepage...

"You deserve the very best when it comes to your ATV and Motorcycle needs. North Bay Cycle & Sports Ltd. understands your desire for excellence.

:wheel:

Maybe they should change it...

"Quit yer bitchin'...we'll eventually get you back on the road."

the alledged mistreatment of ONE customer

I guess it's OK to cornhole just ONE customer every now and then...eh?

After reading Dave's response, I feel compelled to call names. North Bay Cycle & Sports = asshats.

Guest YamaDuc

Dave

Hope you are still keeping an eye on this because I am a little confused. One thing for sure I know the things that Aaron said are not inappropriate or alleged. I was in the group with Aaron when the situation happened. You,I do not remember being anywhere near the situation. You may have received the information from someone that was there making you a "third party" to the situation. So I was just wondering what was inappropriate about what Aaron said. I would like your account of the situation not one "told" to you.

As far as you being upset about how we and other forum members are treating you place of employment, maybe someone should have thought of that before you treated us the way you did. How do you think that we felt being in your establishment being told what we were told? That is totally unacceptable, being treated that way. I would also like to know how many "customers" you feel is acceptable to be treated that way?

I would like you to read the account I have posted on the Cycle Canada website and consider the last few lines. I just thankful that I didn't have to deal with North Bay Cycle again.

I am really concerned about you taking credit for something you never had anything to do with. The Shell Station and it's employees should be given credit for letting us use a volt meter.

Again Dave I would love to hear your account not the one told to you of the situation, I also invite you to read the post at the Cycle Canada website.

One parting note in my opinion if my place of employment offered service like yours and ONE customer is made to fell embarassed or unimportant I would really consider stopping to work there. I don't believe that we are the only people you have treated this way, and I am sure we will not be the last, that kind of treatment just doesn't go away it only becomes worse because you think you are getting away with it. I have also know you deal with the sales guys alot less than the service and parts department when you buy a motorcycle and your department didn't give North Bay Cycle a passing grade.

Rusty Pittock

Dave!

Come back! You got some splain'in to do.

This is a VERY reasonable bunch of people on this forum and I guarantee you, no one will hide behind or from anything.

I think the posts above will confirm that, this 'aint like those OTHER forums.

Dave!

Come back! You got some splain'in to do.

This is a VERY reasonable bunch of people on this forum and I guarantee you, no one will hide behind or from anything.

I think the posts above will confirm that, this 'aint like those OTHER forums.

Doubt he will. North Bay is not really on the way to anywhere, so they must figure "what do we care what people that will never get up here think". Their local business has been going there for years (where else can they go?), and probably already know what they are like, so no great damage there.

If they ignore it, it will fade away. Like any other arguement it takes two to have one sucessfully.

Yeah, I was going to mention (for everyone's reference) that this was pretty much in the middle of no where and hundreds of miles from anything.

But I didn't.

We Canadians call it "way up north"!

You might say they have a captive market.

No, I will say that.

(no offence to anyone "way up north", I actually like it up there, beautiful country)

• Member Contributer

So we ride another 100 or so kilometers to north bay and arrive at North Bay Cycle

This is what is the real pain, they ride 100 km to this dealer, after phoning them saying we are having battery trouble.

You get there and they say they will not even test the battery that is out of the bike. WOW

put a meter on it and the dealer makes 170 bucks.

dont put meter on and maybe lose the money as there guys dont live here.

I guess they didnt want too test the battery in front of U and lose a possible sale of

a overpriced battery.

I guess the dealer was HOPPING busy in NORTHBAY cycle.

To the VFRD site members:

I came across this site from Cycle Canada. I wish to remain anonymous to you for health reasons (you might kill me for what I have to say). I live north of North Bay and must tell you that I have never had any bad issues when at the shop. The service may not always be 100% but I know they mostly try.

The refusal of help in the service department is questionable but hey!.... maybe he was having a shit day. I'm sure the guy's upstairs tried their best to help. I called to price the same battery as you got....same deal. The Yuasa battery model YTZ10S from Honda is 169.40, from Kimpex distributing 152.99. These are top end batteries which are usually what they stock. Stuff is expensive up here!

As for as Dave's remark, I'm sure he went on what he was told by his co-workers. You have to admit, this whole thing is a bit overdone!

Consider my opinions

I came across this site from Cycle Canada. I wish to remain anonymous to you for health reasons (you might kill me for what I have to say). I live north of North Bay and must tell you that I have never had any bad issues when at the shop. The service may not always be 100% but I know they mostly try.

The refusal of help in the service department is questionable but hey!.... maybe he was having a shit day. I'm sure the guy's upstairs tried their best to help. I called to price the same battery as you got....same deal. The Yuasa battery model YTZ10S from Honda is 169.40, from Kimpex distributing 152.99. These are top end batteries which are usually what they stock. Stuff is expensive up here!

As for as Dave's remark, I'm sure he went on what he was told by his co-workers. You have to admit, this whole thing is a bit overdone!

Consider my opinions

Personally I was not all that concerned with the price of the battery. Gel batteries are not cheap in Canada. What irked most was the attitude of "you will have to wait a week to get that tested". But, that was what was reported as being said. Like I said before, the locals already know what they got there, nothing we say here will change that.

Maybe he was having a bad day, who knows. Have a bad day with a local, they come back tomorrow, have a bad day with someone that is 600km from home, and what do they do?

Bell Canada has thousands of happy customers, does that make them nice to deal with (local reference for those in Ontario that have to deal with that monstrosity). Try getting them to do anything for you.

• Member Contributer

Consider my opinions

But this is a prime example of lousy customer service and what happens in today's world when you screw people. Had the "rep" from North Bay come on here and been apologetic, I can guarantee that you would have seen responses like "Hey, thanks for realizing you screwed up and thanks for making it better" or " Good for you for owning up to this". Instead you get someone with attitude who obviously knows nothing of customer service. This group of motorcycle nuts is extremely tolerant and forgiving. We are a band of riders who stand by each other, and stand by good vendors. Take a look around this site, you'll see repeated threads mentioning vendors that excel in their trade. We do group buys from people like this. This is a LOYAL and TRUSTWORTHY bunch of people who are PASSIONATE about riding...

Consider my opinions

Well Dave should have put on his professional hat and not use the attitude in his reply to the OP/VFRD. It would have made for a more constructive discussion of the issues around the incident. All he did was act like a hoser and "kick the beehive".

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

But this is a prime example of lousy customer service and what happens in today's world when you screw people. Had the "rep" from North Bay come on here and been apologetic, I can guarantee that you would have seen responses like "Hey, thanks for realizing you screwed up and thanks for making it better" or " Good for you for owning up to this". Instead you get someone with attitude who obviously knows nothing of customer service. This group of motorcycle nuts is extremely tolerant and forgiving. We are a band of riders who stand by each other, and stand by good vendors. Take a look around this site, you'll see repeated threads mentioning vendors that excel in their trade. We do group buys from people like this. This is a LOYAL and TRUSTWORTHY bunch of people who are PASSIONATE about riding...

:thumbsup: Well said :thumbsup:

This from a buddy in Huntsville:

"I have had many dealings with NB cycle. They were always quick to make

cash deals, but the service ALWAYS sucked!"

Anyway, like most of what others have said, good news travels fast, bad news travels faster!! And the Dude could have utilized a little tact when coming online here to voice his position. As others have mentioned, a little humility would have gone a long way.

Oops, not you Dude ... the other dude. You know, the one from NB Cycle, "Super"Dave.

Consider my opinions

I have to say that I kind of echo those thoughts. Most mechanics have to buy their own tools. I am sure he has lent out his tools before and they disappeared or were broken. So now he has a policy of not lending his tools. If I were a mechanic there is not a chance I would lend my tools to anybody. Also, you don't know what other issues he was trying to deal with at the time. Maybe his favorite dentist was coming to pickup his Goldwing at 4:00 p.m. but it still needed a few hours work. You don't know. Generally these small town dealerships survive by supporting their core customers extremely well.

I have to work with the public in my job. Unfortunately, you get a little jaded over time. The public wants everything now, but they could care less if you make any money. That same public will screw you over in a second if they get the chance. The bottom line is that 20% of the customers make you 80% of the money. In my business my long standing customers get priority, but everybody else waits in line. Sorry, that is just the way I see it.

:wheel: When did we become a murderous horde of VFR riders tracking down those who oppose us and our beliefs?

I wish to remain anonymous to you for health reasons (you might kill me for what I have to say).

• Member Contributer
I have to say that I kind of echo those thoughts. Most mechanics have to buy their own tools. I am sure he has lent out his tools before and they disappeared or were broken. So now he has a policy of not lending his tools. If I were a mechanic there is not a chance I would lend my tools to anybody. Also, you don't know what other issues he was trying to deal with at the time. Maybe his favorite dentist was coming to pickup his Goldwing at 4:00 p.m. but it still needed a few hours work. You don't know.

Under most circumstances I would agree with this. The point is, this was not a normal circumstance.

Remember, all they asked to borrow was a multimeter. They'd already removed the battery, so they obviously didn't need anything to actually do the installation.

I would also hazard to guess that, in the unlikely event that the gentleman just happened to be using his MM, someone else might have been willing to lend theirs for the full 5 seconds it would have taken to check the battery.

For that matter. I find it odd the there wasn't a MM at the parts counter for this very purpose

Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

I take it you've not seen the oil/tire/exhaust "discussions" we have here ? :lol:

• Member Contributer
:wheel: When did we become a murderous horde of VFR riders tracking down those who oppose us and our beliefs?
I wish to remain anonymous to you for health reasons (you might kill me for what I have to say).

All Blasphemers must be destroyed! :lol: We know where you live!

Archived