Shame On You North Bay Cycle.....

meddle1999

• Member Contributer
Were you truely "ashamed to ride a Honda" or "ashamed of Honda Dealer service"?

That sucks and hopefully the phone call and link to this forum will educate the dealership on what their riders think/expect from dealerships. The interesting thing about your thread is that the expectations set forth by everyone who commented are not unrealistic or so far out of line that it would have caused the dealership financial distress. No one (in all of the threads about dealers) have ever said that they dont' want the dealership to make a profit or stay in business.

You would think that the dealerships would know there customer base better and know that a lot of motorcycle riders do some troubleshooting, maintenance, work on their bikes out of necessity (riding on some back road by yourself) yet the majority of dealerships still think that you should be happy for coming into their store and buying their prodcuts.

Icouldnt agree more.......

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
Does Canada have the equivalent of the US's Better Business Bureau? I would file a formal complaint if you do.

Yes we do, has the same name, but they only take complaints about their memebers, so unless this place keeps up their memebership the call is a waste of time.

• Member Contributer
daveridenour.jpg

This guy looks like one member of this forum I know... Kinda. :rolleyes:

+1

I didn't know Seb worked in Canada..... :goofy:

The only time I go into dealerships anymore is when I happen to buy a new bike, or need tires swapped on/off rims and balanced (I bring the wheels in, not the bike). I never set foot in them or hang around them otherwise.

Order my OEM parts online, do my own work.

Japanese bike dealerships (in general) leave a lot to be desired.

• Member Contributer
The folks at honda canada were quite interested in what i told them and also quite disgusted....... as i told the customer service rep on the phone "I've never been ashamed to ride a honda until i met these creeps."

Hopefully they will at least call them and admonish... write a letter to the editor of the local paper... That might carry more weight as Honda needs the dealer to sell the bikes....

• Member Contributer
Japanese bike dealerships (in general) leave a lot to be desired.

I wouldn't single out Japanese bike dealerships. It really depends on the people who work there rather than on the products that they sell or service. A jerk is a jerk no matter where he works.

We should all be thankful that we don't own Triumphs based on my latest experience with my friend's Legend TT after a parking lot tipover. It is a story in itself, but not for this thread.

• Member Contributer

Btw, the members on the UK VFR site you also posted this message on are very amused. I think they are going to organise a massive protest ride real soon... :rolleyes:

Ciao,

Guest Super

Hi Aaron - point taken. Now I'd like to respond.

As you sit there formulating your opinions behind your internet pseudonyms, you have publicly embarassed the establishment that I have worked for for the past 22 years. It is difficult for me to read the inappropriate (and inaccurate) comments you and others have published (name calling? really??). This incident has snowballed because of the alledged mistreatment of ONE customer.

The bottom line Aaron - we got you back on the road.

Safe Biking,

Dave Mascioli

• Member Contributer

That kinda reminds me of National Lampoons Vacation when Clark Griswold wrecked his car and had to get it towed. They got him back on the road to. - Clark: "How much do I owe?" Mechanic: "How much you got?" but its all good, because he got him back on the road right? <_<

As you sit there formulating your opinions behind your internet pseudonyms, you have publicly embarassed the establishment that I have worked for for the past 22 years. It is difficult for me to read the inappropriate (and inaccurate) comments you and others have published (name calling? really??). This incident has snowballed because of the alledged mistreatment of ONE customer.

Safe Biking,

Dave Mascioli

The mistreatment of one customer we have heard about, If you really charge 170.00 for a battery, I would assume every customer that goes through the door is being mistreated. Just how long does it take to test a battery?

• Member Contributer

Safe Biking,

Dave Mascioli

I simply recounted an incident which i might ad was not alleged, I do not recall any name calling on my part. The only thing that got us on the road was $170. I never once had any negative words about anyone else in your shop. The bottom line is (and Honda canada agrees with me) when you have that big red wing on hanging on the front of your shop,the way you treat people is a direct reflection on their product. And the way we were treated was a disgrace. I give you the benefit of the doubt ,this maybe was an isolated incident someone just having a bad day....... thats still no excuse. You don't treat people like that if you expect them to come back. And judging by the feedback here that is more than just "my opinion". You may have only mistreated ONE customer but you have lost many. Furthermore by insinuating that im hiding behind fom form of "internet pseudonym" you have pretty much insulted everyone here on this forum..... Nice.

Safe Biking,

Dave Mascioli

You got it all wrong Dave, This is just how we work up to a massive discount for a group buy on various VFR farkles. :rolleyes:

............Anyway, I do agree that 170 bucks was a little steep for a battery, and I'm sure the typical VFR rider is good for replacing testers if they break it...............give us a break!

Beck

95 VFR.......Oh yeah, Safe biking to you too, and I hope you never ever need need a battery somewhere far away from home cause it might cost you over 170 bucks to replace it! :salesman:

• Member Contributer

Safe Biking,

Dave Mascioli

Dave:

You're right! We did hear ONE side of the story from Aaron.....now it's your turn. Let's make it fair. By your post you had not given your side....so here is your chance to respond.

Laszlo aka. SA2360

• Member Contributer

Customer service is the provision of service to customers before, during and after a purchase. (Defined in Wikipedia.com)

This is the new world where information spreads faster than you blink. If anything the definition above is more than the golden rule but the very life line that you thrive on. If you have been in business for 22 years and cannot accept the consequences of violating said definition then perhaps it is time to rethink your business strategy. Consider the story that could have been told here had your establishment done right by your customer.

And as far as my internet pseudonym goes, it is just easier than competing with all the other Shawn's riding VFR's. :blink:

Shawn Levesque

Albuquerque, NM

• Member Contributer

Safe Biking,

Dave Mascioli

Well, Super (if indeed that is your real internet pseudonym), I beg to differ.

It's the service manager that publicly embarrassed your establishment, given that he is the person responsible for Aaron's post.

I think you'll find that most of us here on VFRD are pretty understanding about most things.

This kind of treatment however, is guaranteed to bring about all the responses you've read.

As a part of a company whose existence depends on how customers view their shopping experience, your time might be better spent convincing your fellow employees that a little bit of customer relations goes a long way.

Whether or not that bit of customer relations is positive or negative is entirely up to you.

• Member Contributer

Safe Biking,

Dave Mascioli

That's your best response? No apologies whatsoever? In my mind, that suggests this is not an isolated incident. You blew your opportunity, pal. And embarrassed the establishment further.

It might seem like we're ganging up on you, but man you came back with a weak reply. And up to this, I sympathized a little with your side.

• Member Contributer
Customer service is the provision of service to customers before, during and after a purchase. (Defined in Wikipedia.com)

Consider the story that could have been told here had your establishment done right by your customer.

Shawn Levesque

Albuquerque, NM

I agree. A good customer service story goes a long way.

Safe Biking,

Dave Mascioli

<_<

Oh my dear lord.

"We got you back on the road." Big f'n deal! That is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard in my life! If it would've been me, not only would I have gone public and posted my experience, but I wouldn't have paid for it. Even if it took me days, I would just find what I needed elsewhere.

Your response just confirms everything we've heard negative about you. You do not explain your reason for being a douche.

Safe Biking,

Dave Mascioli

Actually, according to the original post, you merely sold him a battery that he came in and asked for. You did not diagnose it did you? If Becker's sold the battery, would they take credit for "getting him back on the road"? You behaved like a convenience store and no more.

The point about publically embarrassing the establishment he's worked at for 22 yours could have been a completely different post had they taken the time to provide a little customer service. If Super (I believe that's an Internet Pseudonym) would look around a little bit he would see that this group of riders is very professional and give both positive recognition and negative recognition to vendors and products that we have experience with.

Further more, I didn't see where meddle actually called anyone any names. I do see where others who believe that based on what has been shared have talked and said their piece like a group of friends, brotherhood, riders or what ever you want to call them sitting around a table or in a garage would do. Having been in retail sales before, I know that you have to have thick skin, so really, buck up.

I couldn't agree more with bears statement about being nothing more than a convenience store.

As stated before, if you look around you'll see that we have very technical, professional, fun-loving and serious riders here who do have some expectations on customer service. Your post does nothing to educate or show us a different version of the story and we would welcome your version, but simply saying that you got him back on the road is like saying "you want fries with that?". I was always told that one bad deed can erase a thousand good deeds and and think this is a perfect example of that saying.

The point about publically embarrassing the establishment he's worked at for 22 yours could have been a completely different post had they taken the time to provide a little customer service.

Exactly!!

Mr. Mascioli, you only embarassed yourself by basically telling a customer to get bent.

I said "your telling me that you cant take one second and put your friggin multimeter an this battery (that was already out of the bike by the way) and just say yeah its dead. even though were some 650 kilometers from home?". "yes thats what im saying" he replied.

If that is truly what happened, you are getting what you deserve.

• Member Contributer

Safe Biking,

Dave Mascioli

Here are the choices that were available to you:

• Explanation: An explanation as to why you chose to blow off a customer who was stranded 650km from home, and an explanation as to your ridiculous rates.
  • Apology: An apology for the terrible service you gave a customer who, as mentioned, was stranded 650km from home.
  • Defense: A defense for your poor service designed to make you look like you're a victim in this.

You chose to be defensive, and to attack both the person whose money you took and the people who have opinions about your service. That reality will be more damaging to your business than a thread without your response could ever have been.

You know that old adage, "A happy customer will tell five people, and an angry customer will tell everyone?" It's true. Your response to this situation has earned every bit of bad publicity you're getting.

• Member Contributer

You're so right. I still tell anyone/everyone about the dealer who didn't want me as a customer anymore after not delivering hard bags after 8 months and I demanded my money back.

• Member Contributer

Safe Biking,

Dave Mascioli

Hi Dave. I am from the other side of the world, so I am never going to see your shop.

Let me give you a little bit of advice here:

1. Your *who cares* *just another dollar* "we got you back on the road" attitude may have worked 22 years ago, when you started selling bikes, BUT IT DOESN'T NOW. You know why? It's called the internet! Back then, you could treat a customer badly, and they might tell a couple of people and it might cost you a sale or two if you were unlucky (You're in sales, remember? You don't give a toss what happens after you have the money from the sale).

Things have changed a little. These days if you treat someone badly, it not only makes them disgruntled, but it can cost thousands or tens of thousands of dollars, both in new bike sales (what you do, remember?) and in other income for the dealership. The internet allows someone to tell the entire WORLD about poor service, and that means that a lot of people can choose to go out of their way to avoid your shop. I have personally cost a large North American tyre manufacturer at least $20000 worth of sales here in Australia

(and counting), because of the shoddy delaying treatment I received from their local distributor, and I continually actively discourage the use of their products. You might think that "one person can't make a difference" but let me tell you that I had nearly 50000 hits IN ONE MONTH on my website from all over the world when I posted information about the problem I had. Believe me, one person can make a massive difference. The power of the internet, remember?

2. Be very careful slagging off at "Internet Pseudonyms". You joined here under the name of "Super". What does that mean? Obviously not "Super Service"! It's a pseudonym as well, isn't it. And don't bother to join a forum and make your first post a poor attempt at justifying at service.

Now, I know that you were probably designated by the Boss as the one to jump on this forum and "Defend the Shop", because you have been there so long etc. But you didn't do a very good job, no explanation or apology, no offer to learn from the experience, and worst of all, NO HUMILITY.

This can be summed up in this short paragraph:

You do not have a monopoly. You need us. We don't need YOU, YOUR SHOP, specifically. You are a service industry, provide service.

I also doubt that you will read or reply to any of these posts, but it's possible that your Boss will read them at some stage.

Archived