Pilot Powers/2ct's Recalled

lizard

My front is affected as well. I bet new 2CT's are going to start to become hard to get.

What a PITA! Funny though, I have just started to get a vibration in the front as well. I was planning on taking it in for a balance again but as others mentioned that this may be the culprit.

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

Too bad my current front tire is made in Spain, would love to get a free new one as it is completely bald on the sides and pointed into a V. I will have to check my stock of old tires, hopefully my old 2CT was one of the affected ones.

• Member Contributer

Whew!! Lucked out!!

Just had a new front mounted Friday. It's "Made in Spain".

My front is affected as well. I bet new 2CT's are going to start to become hard to get.

Cheers,

I called Michelin and they said go to any shop that sells their tires for a free replacement, nice! But...

Not one of my local shops have them! One of four had heard of the recall, and the only shop that had a tire had one that is part of the recall.

Got a little different message this morning. They asked me to go back to the dealer I bought it from, which was Sportbike Track Time. Contacted Mark at STT and he said that he hasn't gotten any replacements yet, and all his stock is effected.

I scrubbed the rear on my gixxer to bald on the Cherohala on Sunday... so I guess I can pry on the rear.... Maybe I'll use up some of the center on the old tire commuting for a few days first, still got tread there.

I wonder how this will effect thier image. I consider Michelin to be a good company, and the Pilot Power to be the top of the street tires now. But this doesn't help...

Just put one of these on the front of my VFR a couple of weeks ago. I guess I dodged the bullet though because my tire was made just down the road in Spain.

Missed it by THAT much! =)

Jake

• Member Contributer

I just called about my affected tire on Friday the 22nd. The Michelin rep stated that it would be 2-3 weeks before they got the tires to the dealers, but that they are safe to ride on still. If they are safe to ride on, why did they recall them???? <_<

• Member Contributer
I just called about my affected tire on Friday the 22nd. The Michelin rep stated that it would be 2-3 weeks before they got the tires to the dealers, but that they are safe to ride on still. If they are safe to ride on, why did they recall them???? <_<

You are asking the wrong people. You should have asked the Michelin rep. I bet you would have gotten an ear full of political spin and doublespeak.

• Member Contributer

You are asking the wrong people. You should have asked the Michelin rep. I bet you would have gotten an ear full of political spin and doublespeak.

Michelin is who I called. I didn't speak to the shop I bought it from until later that afternoon. The rep I talked to on the phone was informative and apologetic for the issue. It sounded as if his goal was only to help me get a new tire. Maybe I'm just naive. sad.gif

• Member Contributer

I got lucky......MADE IN SPAIN.................. :thumbsup:

And I always thought you were aMerican! :blink:

Your English is very good!

Just never know these days! <_<

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

And I always thought you were aMerican! :blink:

Your English is very good!

Just never know these days! <_<

:goofy:

yeah, still gotta' look at my PP and see where it was made.......we seem to communicate a lot better since you took that Spanish class................... :goofy:

I did notice a heavy vibration from the front over 100 mph (back country, no traffic, 3 miles visability). I guess this is the culprit. Luckily I was on the 2CT train early and managed to put over 4K miles on them and now I get a freshy for free. :thumbsup: Love the tire and I'm sure it's just a glitch from Michelin.

+1 Lizard, how did you ever find this information so fast? That's amazing!

• 4 weeks later...

Well that explains the wobble I had. They "Re-balanced" the front twice then told me I needed my forks rebuilt to solved the "bounce" I had. Glad I didn't have that done yet. It was funny that it didn't start until I pit the 2ct"s on though. THANK YOU for whoever found and posted this, I have not received anything in the mail about a recall.

• 2 years later...

I do mostly commuting .About 43 km one way .I do like the ramps .After reading all the posts .I think 36/F and 38/R sounds about right .

• Member Contributer
I do mostly commuting .About 43 km one way .I do like the ramps .After reading all the posts .I think 36/F and 38/R sounds about right .

You sure dug up an old thread. I did have a worn out PP2CT and got a new free one, so I was overall happy with the recall.

After running a few PP2CTs I came to the conclusion that they are not an improvement over the regular Powers. If you are commuting, I would recommend some Road2s. They will last a lot longer and keep their shape better than Powers, while still offering more grip than 99% of riders can even hope to utilize.

Funny after all the fear expressed on this site about Michelin tires made in Thailand that now we get word that even Michelin tires from France can have QC problems. Goes to show that source of tires don't neccesarily automatically equate to their quality.

On a related note, I just recently found out after shopping for tires and inner tubes for my Peugeot racing bicycle that many Euro brand bicycle tires from the biggest manufacturers like Continental, Michelin and Vittoria comes from Thailand these days, comees from there. It's only natural that most tire manufacturers will have some sort of manufacturing operation in that country because it's still a big source for rubber to make the tires.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
Too bad my current front tire is made in Spain, would love to get a free new one as it is completely bald on the sides and pointed into a V. I will have to check my stock of old tires, hopefully my old 2CT was one of the affected ones.

Same here - I have one that's not on the bike, about 2/3 used. I was hoping to trade for a free new one, but it's made in Spain. sad.gif

Archived