I Want This Old Helmet! Any Ideas?

• Member Contributer

If anyone knows how I can get one of these in Medium or Large... I want one, new or used!

It's a 2001 Arai Agostini Replica in Black. It is the best looking helmet I have ever seen. I buddy of mine has one sitting in my house that doesn't fit me. It just sits there mocking me with all that style! I need to find one... NOW!

I know that having one custom painted may be an option but I would rather try to find one first.

Any ideas where I might be able to fine one, either NOS or sitting on someone's shelf?

gallery_6707_3017_2874.jpg

Best looking helmet ever! Arai Agostini Replica/Black

If anyone knows how I can get one of these in Medium or Large... I want one, new or used!

It's a 2001 Arai Agostini Replica in Black. It is the best looking helmet I have ever seen. I buddy of mine has one sitting in my house that doesn't fit me. It just sits there mocking me with all that style! I need to find one... NOW!

I know that having one custom painted may be an option but I would rather try to find one first.

Any ideas where I might be able to fine one, either NOS or sitting on someone's shelf?

Agostini Arai, doesn't sound right. Agostini AGV seems more proper, specially in that Italian "Tri-colore" paintjob.

JMO. Check out AGV and auctions for AGVs to improve your chances of finding one. I thought AGV did a commemorative "Ago" helmet. at one time. I also think Italian brand X-lite (Nolan's racing division) also made one recently.

Good Luck finding one!

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Agostini Aria, doesn't sound right. Agostini AGV seems more proper, specially in that Italian "Tri-colore" paintjob.

JMO. Check out AGV and auctions for AGVs to improve your chances of finding one. I thought AGV did a commemorative "Ago" helmet. at one time. I also think Italian brand X-lite (Nolan's racing division) also made one recently.

Good Luck finding one!

Beck

95 VFR

Nice looking helmet. If you find two..........

About 1o years ago, I saw an Anniversary Model from AGV and one from ARAI. Both were this scheme but the colors were red, white and green with a little gold here and there. I still want one of those.

Maybe if a lot of us send e-mail to the manufacturers?

• Member Contributer

Agostini Aria, doesn't sound right. Agostini AGV seems more proper, specially in that Italian "Tri-colore" paintjob.

Good Luck finding one!

Beck

95 VFR

Nice thoughts, you know your helmet brands; thanks. You are correct about X-Lite (close but no cigar though) they do make one but it is red, white, green and gold (and also has writing and crap on it). The Arai is a modification in Red, White, Black and Silver. It's a clean design and matches the VFR very well. I don't want the helmet cause I'm a Agostini fan. I just like the look of it. MUST FIND ONE!!!

• Member Contributer

This one ?

http://www.mymotorcycle.com/prrel1.cfm?PRID=14

http://www.starcycle.com/street/quantum_f.html

• Member Contributer

This one ?

Yup this one. That is the side view. The problem is... That is an old webpage. Dang.

gallery_6707_3017_2959.jpg

Side View

• Member Contributer

I dunno, it looks a bit Power Ranger-ish to me? Though admittedly, my 3 helmets have all be solid colors...

• Member Contributer
I dunno, it looks a bit Power Ranger-ish to me? Though admittedly, my 3 helmets have all be solid colors...

Power Ranger! Not a bad line ; )

I've always had solid helmets too. This helmet is the exception.

• Member Contributer
I used to have one in red/green, a beautiful helmet. Good luck finding one!!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/862309/Picture009.jpg

That's pretty damn cool too.

Uro, nice link to your bikes. Heck of a little collection.

Guest vfrrider

I know this is heresy, but what about buying your favorite helmet in white and painting it?

Just an idea.

Larry

VFRrider

• Member Contributer
I know this is heresy, but what about buying your favorite helmet in white and painting it?

Just an idea.

Larry

VFRrider

No Larry, heresy is buying and Ago replica and painting it white :blink: :blink:

Rich A

Just an idea.

Larry

VFRrider

Have to agree here, very much. This is the prob... the manufacture date is the one to use when calculating the 5 years the polystyrene starts to break down, and then it's protection capability supposedly becomes suspect.

Is this just bs propagated by those that make money in this belief? it's yer head and yer decision.

paint a new one wink.gif

• Member Contributer

I dunno....I'll probably get flamed for this, but I don't think helmets have a built in timer that makes them necessarily go bad just as soon as they become 5 years old. Maybe that's the minimum life in the harshest possible environment, or something. Don't the landfill people claim that polystyrene lasts 75 years or so?

All that being said, I'm a sucker and buy a new one every couple of years anyway.

And I do love the Ago helmet! Good luck in finding one.

• Member Contributer
I dunno....I'll probably get flamed for this, but I don't think helmets have a built in timer that makes them necessarily go bad just as soon as they become 5 years old. Maybe that's the minimum life in the harshest possible environment, or something. Don't the landfill people claim that polystyrene lasts 75 years or so?

All that being said, I'm a sucker and buy a new one every couple of years anyway.

Yeah, I like new helmets as well and I do believe that a new helmet a safer option. Then again, many companies say "Don't paint helmets". Of course this is probably so people won't buy inexpensive helmets and make their own replicas.

• Member Contributer
Actually, iy's because the solvents MIGHT damage the shell.

It's possible I guess. I would be just as concerned about doing a crappy looking painting when it's $400 per canvas.

• Member Contributer

I've heard that the Polystyrene breaks down over time, and after 5 years they can't pass the safty standards.

• Member Contributer

This one ?

Yup this one. That is the side view. The problem is... That is an old webpage. Dang.

gallery_6707_3017_2959.jpg

Side View

Maybe a bit too over the top with the additional stickers (and not Arai) but available in the US from Cissbury Leathers.

http://www.cissburyleathers.com/details.as...mp;Currency=USD

http://www.x-lite.it/upload/warehouse/x800rr_ago1_600_.jpg

http://www.x-lite.it/upload/warehouse/x800rr_ago2_600_.jpg

• Member Contributer

Maybe a bit too over the top with the additional stickers (and not Arai) but available in the US from Cissbury Leathers.

http://www.cissburyleathers.com/details.as...mp;Currency=USD

http://www.x-lite.it/upload/warehouse/x800rr_ago1_600_.jpg

http://www.x-lite.it/upload/warehouse/x800rr_ago2_600_.jpg

So close... But the green and gold don't work for me (opposed to black and silver) and the additional decals put the nail in the coffin. That said, thanks for trying, you guys are great. While my Ducati Monster 900Sie had its rough charm and the Ducati Monster List was fun; the VFR and the VFRD both work better :thumbsup: Thanks!

• Member Contributer

We tend not to do a whole lot of flaming here. It's sort of the nature of the site. I think that I've been flamed only one time so far... and I've been called a "bastage" before which has a very special meaning to the old timers here. smile.gif

As for replacing helmets, I tend to keep helmets a very long time. If it weren't for "5 years old" thing I probably wouldn't have replace my last one with my new yellow (the fast color) helmet.

I guess it's a personal preference sort of thing however, in my opinion, even if it is a marketing ruse that is true maybe only 1% of the time that 1% could mean 100% of the time to me if I happen to be on the bad side of that particular stat.

I'm glad that you replace your helmet every couple of years. It's probably the smart (and more stylish) thing to do.

Best,

Dan

Here's an idea!

Say you are a helmet manufacturer.

Your biggest worry is getting sued.

Even if you make a perfectly good helmet, the USA is full of John Edwards clones.

So you have this great idea: Put an expiration date on the lid! Arbitrarily pick, oh, 5 years, yeah, thats it 5 years.

Instantly, you eliminated the majority of your liability with that simple date stamp.

Whether there is any decreased function is completely beside the point, you have eliminated suits related to say 70 years of manufacturing (leaving only the relative few recently made lids) with the stroke of a pen.

Brilliant!

• 1 month later...

I have that helmet. It has about 15,000 miles on it. The most comfortable helmet I have ever worn. Make me an offer, I have a bunch of other helmets I can wear.

Archived