Avon Storm Review

Guest awlittle

Guest awlittle

I replaced my Avon Azaros with the new Avon Storms. I've only put around 150 miles so far, and was going to wait until I had at least a thousand miles but I think the differences are enough to post a first impression.

1. The tires feel much, much "quicker" than the Azaros. I had to readjust my turns all day because I was hitting the apex too early from the tire responding quicker than the Azaros. I found I could use MUCH less input on the bars. I'd throw a number out but it would seem like an exaggeration. I was able to make a few turns using only body lean with little or no bar input (obviously not going at close to full pace or very tight turns), something I don't think Azaros would do or do with any confidence.

2. The tires feel more darty at slow speed. I assume there is a direct relationship to the quicker input. The tires don't feel bad, just a little touchier at slow speed (parking lots).

3. The tires also have the same increased dartiness at highway speed. Nothing bad, just different.

4. The headshake from deceleration (I have giviwing rack and 46L bag) is less than with the Azaros. I was able to let the headshake occur (about 45 mph to 35, 30ish mph) and ride through it, not possible with the Azaros.

5. I didn't push it very hard (newish tires) so I can't affirm more grip, but I'm absolutely sure they have more grip.

It seems the Storms are going to be as advertised-more sporty and more grip than the Azaros, not much more you can ask for.

I don't have experience with this but I've talked to a few people that have said the wet grip is simply incredible, at least one guy is a former factory racer.

I'll report more in a few weeks.

• Member Contributer
I replaced my Avon Azaros with the new Avon Storms. I've only put around 150 miles so far, and was going to wait until I had at least a thousand miles but I think the differences are enough to post a first impression.

1. The tires feel much, much "quicker" than the Azaros. I had to readjust my turns all day because I was hitting the apex too early from the tire responding quicker than the Azaros. I found I could use MUCH less input on the bars. I'd throw a number out but it would seem like an exaggeration. I was able to make a few turns using only body lean with little or no bar input (obviously not going at close to full pace or very tight turns), something I don't think Azaros would do or do with any confidence.

2. The tires feel more darty at slow speed. I assume there is a direct relationship to the quicker input. The tires don't feel bad, just a little touchier at slow speed (parking lots).

3. The tires also have the same increased dartiness at highway speed. Nothing bad, just different.

4. The headshake from deceleration (I have giviwing rack and 46L bag) is less than with the Azaros. I was able to let the headshake occur (about 45 mph to 35, 30ish mph) and ride through it, not possible with the Azaros.

5. I didn't push it very hard (newish tires) so I can't affirm more grip, but I'm absolutely sure they have more grip.

It seems the Storms are going to be as advertised-more sporty and more grip than the Azaros, not much more you can ask for.

I don't have experience with this but I've talked to a few people that have said the wet grip is simply incredible, at least one guy is a former factory racer.

I have the same basic setup on my older VFR and at around 15-17000 miles I replaced the steering head bearings. No more shake. If your bike is in this mileage range that is probably what it needs. It isn't a tire issue unless the front tire is cupped. Can't be the case here with the new one. FWIW I am also running Azaros. They have been great tires, wet or dry.

I've been holding off on the steering bearing b/c the situation just isn't enough of a problem to tear the bike apart. I think numerous people have the givi-shake regardless of steering bearings? Maybe not? Thanks for the info.

I think numerous people have the givi-shake regardless of steering bearings? Maybe not? Thanks for the info.

Yes. But new bearings seemed to help in my case. As did dropping the front 10 mm, and getting rid of front tires that cupped badly (think Dunlop D207s). Also try to keep the loads low - CofG matters (hard with Givis, I know).

When you have a chance, I'd change the bearings. It's easier than you might think.

Marc

• Member Contributer

So they seem faster and turn in better, but how much of that is the different tires and how much of that is just mounting a NEW set of tires since the old ones are worn out of profile and the carcass has softened and the rubber has hardened?

I know every time i mount a new set of tires (regardless of brand) the bike feels waaay better and more nimble than it did before.

my .02

chris

So they seem faster and turn in better, but how much of that is the different tires and how much of that is just mounting a NEW set of tires since the old ones are worn out of profile and the carcass has softened and the rubber has hardened?

I know every time i mount a new set of tires (regardless of brand) the bike feels waaay better and more nimble than it did before.

my .02

chris

Which is why I was going to wait a few weeks to post a review, however, the turn in is unquestionably better. It is a better tire, as much as one can tell from an initial ride.

• 1 month later...

C'mon, how are they?

I'm going to be buying tires in the next couple of weeks and was going to get another set of Strada's. I love the Stradas and my current set is closing in on 6k miles. There is no cupping up front and the rear is worn evenly edge to edge with virtually no flat spotting. I scrape pegs and they've never let me down. Only thing they didn't do was stick to tar snakes (I hate those things).

These new Avon's look great though, and if they're better then dammit, I want 'em. But I don't want to accidentally downgrade. So c'mon with the update!

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

I had Z4's before this so I really didn't have a great tire to compare it to but I love my Storms. I took it to the Gap for Tmac and it stuck like glue. I have about 1/4 inch chicken strip on back and around 1/2 inch on fronts. I don't really ride aggressive too often, but they seem awesome. Nice turn in, never a hint of a slip. Pretty good in rain to. I would highly recommend them. :thumbsup:

Even though I don't have the Storms yet (they're going on in the next few weeks), I can still answer this question. It's mainly due to profile. I had BT020s on before the current Avons, and the AV49-SP front is less rounded in profile. The Storm is essentially the replacement for the AV49-SP, so I'd imagine it's pretty similar.

One thing for you guys with Storms to note: if the Storm is anything like the AV49-SP, it will have a soft carcase, and will handle better if you keep the pressure up - run it at 38-40psi if you find the front end wandering, especially on uneven surfaces.

I agree with the "quick handling" comment - I've had two sets like this now, one on the VTR1000 and now on the VFR, and both times I nearly dropped the bike when I came to the first corner after they were fitted, as the steering input was SO light! It's slightly heavier now, as I have the front end as low as I can get it, and a 5mm shim on the back shock.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

> I got my new Avon storm tires this morning. Ordered them on Sunday

> afternoon, and here two days later………………..Great service from Comp Acc.

> Dug out my tire machine and spooned them both on in under an hour.

> Balanced and away we go!

>

>

>

> The VFR was a real handful this weekend. Head shaking, into the

> corners and upon deceleration, vibration on the

> highway………………..Simply, just not fun to ride!

>

>

>

> The VFR is transformed with new tires! Absolutely fantastic! None

> of the bad manners remain……………….Awesome handling. Drops right into

> the corners now and you don’t have to fight it to keep it there…………….

>

>

>

> Very, very pleased with the choice of Avon Storms……………….

• Member Contributer

My new 2 CTs never came. Waited for weeks. The rear tire was backordered so I fell back on Dulop 220's. I know, I know, a completely different kind of tire. So now I get great milage, handles well and I hope to do better than 3500 miles on the Dunlop 208's that cupped so badly on the front that I had the terrible head shake with every moment I slacked off the throttle.

New tires feel great, but I never would have thought the cupping on the old ones would have such a drastic effect on the steering.

Good luck with the AVONs, sounds like you have a nice set up.

the tire is probably subseptible to following road imperfections, even a pilot power once it gets thin will follow road imperfections at slow speeds.

The av45/46 are very stout heavy tires

thanks for the honest first opinion, I might run the rear if you can yield near 7,000

My pirelli strada rear although great performing is dwindling in the tread department, looking to come up short of 5,000 mile life.

I beginning to wonder if good traction and atleast 7,000 mile can be had

Archived