Pc Iii - Fuel Consumption With Staintune Map?

KanadianKen

Seems I have the Staintune map loaded on my 6th gen, and finally got out for a longer ride today.

I noticed that the fuel consumption seems MUCH heavier than usual, as after 169 kms, I have between 2 and 3 bars on the gauge showing.

My ride today was VERY moderate, a couple higher speed bursts, but for the most part - very relaxed ride.

Any one notice what their fuel consumption went to when you added the PCIII, a map, and the O2 eliminators?

I might look for a less aggressive map to load - if the consumption is that drastically altered....

thanks.

• Member Contributer

Ken...I have a PCIII with Remus cans and Cozye's map on my 04...last time I checked back in the fall I averaged about 41 mpg which I'm happy with. Ron

Seems I have the Staintune map loaded on my 6th gen, and finally got out for a longer ride today.

I noticed that the fuel consumption seems MUCH heavier than usual, as after 169 kms, I have between 2 and 3 bars on the gauge showing.

My ride today was VERY moderate, a couple higher speed bursts, but for the most part - very relaxed ride.

Any one notice what their fuel consumption went to when you added the PCIII, a map, and the O2 eliminators?

I might look for a less aggressive map to load - if the consumption is that drastically altered....

thanks.

THanks Ron - I have Cozye's map here - I'll give it a try after I fill up - and track the consumption I'm actually getting.

ANyone else?

Ken...I have a PCIII with Remus cans and Cozye's map on my 04...last time I checked back in the fall I averaged about 41 mpg which I'm happy with. Ron

thanks.

• Member Contributer

Same as Ron. But I have a lead wrist, so about 38mpg.

• Member Contributer

Apples to Oranges but, before I had the PCIII usb for my 5th gen I got high 40's regularly with a best tank averging 52 mostly highway miles two up. After loading the highmount staintune with afermarket filter map (I think it ends in 302 or 303 on thier web site) I was shocked at the lack of range from a tankful of gas. I had no highway miles, and many more smiles per gallon B) but it had to be low 30's.

I just changed to map back to a zero map for my trip over to SC tonight and I will load a more aggressive map before our ride in the morning. At least it is adjustable.

• Member Contributer

my map will get you about half way back to what you were getting if riding conservatively. If you really want to tweak her for more mileage, bump the fuel values down for the 3-6k rpm range. Its richer than stock, so you would just be going closer back to stock. Just divide the fuel values in half for like 5-40 % throttle in the3-6k range and it should help a bunch. Leave the 80-100% throttle alone and you wont affect your hard acceleration.

thanks.

ken,

i have coyze map in my 03. i definitely feel that i am riding harder than i ever have. my RPM are higher because i am not concious of the 7k 'limit' anymore. i am loving the new 'lighter feel' to the bike as it rockets in to triple digits way to easy and often today.

all that being said, HOLY SMOKES IS MY GAS MILEAGE SUCKIN' HIND T*T!! (thats southern speak for doing really bad )

I am down to 2 bars with 87 miles on the bike....If I make it 120 I'll be lucky. use to get 160-180 mpTank

Don't have any answers, but atleast I can keep you company at the pump :wheel:

Unmodified - meaning no Fuel adjustments such as the PC III or O2 Elims - I used to easily get 180 - 200 miles per tank on my 02. I love the results of the PC III, but I'm not loving the loss of 60 miles of riding per tank, that - to me - is unacceptable. I gotta find some "middle" ground on this one.

• Member Contributer

hmmmmm ...

you guys are getting some really sucky mileage. I can rip twisties all day, never go below 7 grand, and still get 160-170 to a tank.

hmmmmm ...

you guys are getting some really sucky mileage. I can rip twisties all day, never go below 7 grand, and still get 160-170 to a tank.

i would be happy with that.

unfortunately, i won't have much time to ride until texas mac. i am nursing and injury at the moment and not putting more than 50-100 miles per week on the bike (i rode 50 today 'cause i just couldn't take not riding anymore ;>) ).

one thing i don't understand is this: if i have a zero map in and set the throttle to 30%, then you get X amount of fuel pumped in and therefore Y amount of power generated and Z speed. WITH the pciii adding gas, it just seems as if now, at 30%, you would simply get X amount of fuel PLUS a certain amount more from the pciii MAP and therefore, MORE than Y power and therefore MORE than Z speed. so to maintain the Z speed, i would have to cut throttle to say 20% for example's sake only. so wouldn't it all just avg out and my gas mileage just be the same and the real only difference while cruising would be the change in throttle position needed to maintain that certain Z speed?

I know it has to be more complicated than that, but I am curious if anyone can explain it.

hmmmmm ...

Thats what I get. Sounds like you all should look at changing your plugs and making sure you have a clean air filter. Watch your bike temp and make sure its staying within 175-190 at highway speeds, a malfunctioning thermostat can completely destroy you fuel milage down to as low as 120ish/ tank or less.

hmmmmm ...

Thats what I get. Sounds like you all should look at changing your plugs and making sure you have a clean air filter. Watch your bike temp and make sure its staying within 175-190 at highway speeds, a malfunctioning thermostat can completely destroy you fuel milage down to as low as 120ish/ tank or less.

recently cleaned/checked air filter. my bike runs a little hot, but not over 190 at highway speeds. (how does the thermostat hurt mileage?)

i haven't checked my plugs (i will soon though), but only have 8k on them. any other thoughts?

how about mods. do all of you (coyze, tinyminds, ken) have:

02 and PAIR removed?

how about snorkle and diaphragm?

how about weight. i am 250. if you are 150, wouldn't 100lbs make a large difference?

• Member Contributer

If your bike is running cool (i.e. a stuck or partially stuck open thermostat), it will cause the bike to run richer. It's like an automatic choke for the bike. The bike is designed to run rich while its cold until it reaches normal operating temps. If your bike spends any time below 175, you should look further into the tstat. The plugs shouldnt be bad at 8k, I've never taken mine out at 14k so far. Unless you've had fueling problems or flooded it out before I guess.

I only have the 02 elims done

I've tried the flapper/snorkel mods and put them back because they didn't do jack besides leave a nasty sounding intake noise. If you read the updated service manual you will notice that the flapper only closes at a very specific rpm and throttle position and it will become obvious that this mod is worthless. I posted the updated service manual information a while back. Do a search for "flapper" or something.

I have not done the pair mod. Never saw a reason to do it. I wouldn't have even disabled the o2's if the PC3 didn't basically require it.

The only mods I have done is the KN, staintunes, pc3, and o2 elims. I run regular octane gas.

weight 175. I'm sure another 75 lbs makes some difference, but I would be surprised to see it make that big of a diff.

Do you lug the motor around a lot? I never have it below 4k rpm. And when accelerating I usually downshift enough to get it up around 6-7k

I to only have 02 elims besides pc3 and staintunes & K&N filter. Teague has been having the same problem, getting like 120-130 / tank, but he just changed his plugs and I will update you when we get home from our ride today and let you know if it helped at all. He also has same setup as me, no 02's staintunes, k&N and pc3.

• Member Contributer

I think if nothing else obvious shows itself, one of you guys getting 120 miles per tank should drop a 0 map on there and see what you get. If its still not back up on par with the 190-200 miles per tank stock, disconnect the pc3 entirely. I wonder if there is a problem with some pc3's that may be dumping more fuel in than it should? Sounds very strange. I know my mileage sucked big time with the dynojet map, but it was still better than what you guys are getting. Like I said before, I'm about in the middle now.

I think if nothing else obvious shows itself, one of you guys getting 120 miles per tank should drop a 0 map on there and see what you get. If its still not back up on par with the 190-200 miles per tank stock, disconnect the pc3 entirely. I wonder if there is a problem with some pc3's that may be dumping more fuel in than it should? Sounds very strange. I know my mileage sucked big time with the dynojet map, but it was still better than what you guys are getting. Like I said before, I'm about in the middle now.

you know, come to think of it, i did all my mods, drove it for 20 minutes just to make sure nothing was wrong and to get a feel for the new baseline, then threw on the pc3 w/ coyze's map. it is VERY possible with me that the mileage issue was already there prior to the new map and simply due to the 02/PAIR mods allowing me to ride like a :wheel:.

i will plan on finishing this tank, getting a mpg on it maybe 50 more miles to go) and then refill, zero map and do mpg again.

EDIT********

Filled up today. 30.5 mpg. this is on around town and backroads driving. no slab.

I will run one more tank and then switch the map.

• 4 weeks later...

Ken,

I never saw a post about your mileage. Did the issue go away?

I have now ran two more tanks and my results are better, but definitely not great.

Around town I was getting 28mpg

When I ran my normal route through the back roads, it went up to 32. I used to get 35mpg on the same route. so my results show the pciii w cozy's map is about 10% lower on the mpg.

I will say that I definitely am running the bike at different rpms now that the surge issue is completely resolved and that I am flogging her more than i use to, so it might be the higher rpms that is adding to this too.

• Member Contributer
Ken,

I have now ran two more tanks and my results are better, but definitely not great.

When I ran my normal route through the back roads, it went up to 32. I used to get 35mpg on the same route. so my results show the pciii w cozy's map is about 10% lower on the mpg.

I will say that I definitely am running the bike at different rpms now that the surge issue is completely resolved and that I am flogging her more than i use to, so it might be the higher rpms that is adding to this too.

10% lower than no map ? That sounds about right. My map will be lower than stock, especially if you are not at a cruising rpm on the hwy. It will be about 10% higher than the dynojet map though. Should be about in the middle. Technically speaking though, if you ride the bike all the time above 8k rpm, it might get the same or better mileage than stock smile.gif. The map is leaner than factory at those rpms... LOL.

Ken,

10% lower than no map ? That sounds about right. My map will be lower than stock, especially if you are not at a cruising rpm on the hwy. It will be about 10% higher than the dynojet map though. Should be about in the middle. Technically speaking though, if you ride the bike all the time above 8k rpm, it might get the same or better mileage than stock smile.gif. The map is leaner than factory at those rpms... LOL.

sounds like a test i won't mind taking!!

i can live with over 30. i was just getting nervous when i was seeing in the 20s.

• Member Contributer
Ken,

i can live with over 30. i was just getting nervous when i was seeing in the 20s.

Man, you are fast..

I typically get in the mid 30's in mixed spirited riding.

Ken,

Man, you are fast..

I typically get in the mid 30's in mixed spirited riding.

LOL

u know how it is, the farther south you go, the slower things get :blink:

Archived