Pilot Power 2ct -- Here I Go!

sportrider

• Member Contributer

I'm going to give these a try. I sold my race ride, and I'll be taking the viffer for a track day on Monday so I figured I'd give them a try. I wasn' t sure my half-worn Pilot Roads would be as much fun. :goofy:

Anyone have experience with the PP 2Cts? If so, what pressures did you run? I'm thinking 30/30, but that's just a guess.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Man, I want to try those! Problem is, I haven't seen them in 170! Grrr. I don't think they make them. 180 feels wrong on my rim.

Maybe a good excuse to do an 8-spoker mod???? :goofy:

Let us know what you think of them.

• Member Contributer
Who has Monday track days? :goofy:

The rich and insane :goofy: :goofy:

And irresponsible unemployed :thumbsup:

Good point. :beer:

• Member Contributer
Who has Monday track days? :blink:

You are half right. And I'm not rich. :blink: Well, at least in the $$$ sense of things. . .. :thumbsup:

Here's another query -- do I trailer the bike and its new shoes, or ramp up the pressures and ride the 220+ miles to get there. I know, riding to a track isn't smart, but remember, I'm not rich. . .. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

You are half right. And I'm not rich. :blink: Well, at least in the $$$ sense of things. . .. :thumbsup:

Here's another query -- do I trailer the bike and its new shoes, or ramp up the pressures and ride the 220+ miles to get there. I know, riding to a track isn't smart, but remember, I'm not rich. . .. :goofy:

First off, i like monday track days, and tuesday trackdays and wednesday track days.... so STOP MAKING FUN OF ME. Just because i am a total slacker and havent had a job in a few years doesnt mean i cannot totally enjoy the non-crowded trackdays that a weekday provides.

Second, if you have an 'issue' at a trackday, imagine the cost to get a tow home, or the iconvienience to someone to get your truck/trailer and drive it to you, while you sit there all muddy and bruised. besides, if you drive the bike there you can also take an ez-up, an ice chest with food, extra gas thats not $5 a gallon and do your prep work before you go like tape your lights and remove extra shiat like toolkit and not put 500 miles on those sweet new tires. the cost of that is what, roughly one sixth of the cost of the new tires? if you paid $300 for them that is $50 of tire cost alone...

so you are going to save roughly half the cost of gas there and back if you dont drive your truck considering it gets 1/2 the fuel milage of your bike (guess) which is about (440 miles x 20 mpg =22 gal x $3.00 =$66 (truck)x 1/2=$33(bike) ) $33 an burn up $50 in tire wear, and probably pay for expensive gas at the track anyway (since youll run out about when you get there and that citgo gas near the track (theres one by every track it seems and it can ruin your day if you get a bad batch) for at least another $15 so you will lose about $32 ($50 tire wear + $15 gas at the track - $33) to take the bike.

Oh, and that whole $400 tow thing if you wad it after hitting a rabbit on turn 6.... and no shade... and no place to store your wallet, bottle of water, air pump, tool kit, tire pressure gauge, etc.

your call. i would call it a false economy, let alone the inconvienience. And you will probably square off those new tires riding to and from on a freeway, which always sucks.

• Member Contributer

First off, i like monday track days, and tuesday trackdays and wednesday track days.... so STOP MAKING FUN OF ME. Just because i am a total slacker and havent had a job in a few years doesnt mean i cannot totally enjoy the non-crowded trackdays that a weekday provides.

Second, if you have an 'issue' at a trackday, imagine the cost to get a tow home, or the iconvienience to someone to get your truck/trailer and drive it to you, while you sit there all muddy and bruised. besides, if you drive the bike there you can also take an ez-up, an ice chest with food, extra gas thats not $5 a gallon and do your prep work before you go like tape your lights and remove extra shiat like toolkit and not put 500 miles on those sweet new tires. the cost of that is what, roughly one sixth of the cost of the new tires? if you paid $300 for them that is $50 of tire cost alone...

so you are going to save roughly half the cost of gas there and back if you dont drive your truck considering it gets 1/2 the fuel milage of your bike (guess) which is about (440 miles x 20 mpg =22 gal x $3.00 =$66 (truck)x 1/2=$33(bike) ) $33 an burn up $50 in tire wear, and probably pay for expensive gas at the track anyway (since youll run out about when you get there and that citgo gas near the track (theres one by every track it seems and it can ruin your day if you get a bad batch) for at least another $15 so you will lose about $32 ($50 tire wear + $15 gas at the track - $33) to take the bike.

Oh, and that whole $400 tow thing if you wad it after hitting a rabbit on turn 6.... and no shade... and no place to store your wallet, bottle of water, air pump, tool kit, tire pressure gauge, etc.

your call. i would call it a false economy, let alone the inconvienience. And you will probably square off those new tires riding to and from on a freeway, which always sucks.

There you go -- throw reason at me if you must. Your calculus is about right, though. I had about a $50 gas savings, which is eaten up by the tire wear. Perhaps I'll trailer. If I go that route, I bet I'll be the only rider using a sport-tourer and tirewarmers. . . . :lol:

I got the same tires today. I run 38lbs. in the rear and 36lbs. in the front. I think we're gonna like these tires alot. You can feel the stickiness of the sides as opposed to the middle section. If you run a lower tire pressure, it will stick a little better in the turns but it will cup the tire. Irregular wear will cause it to wear out quicker.

• Member Contributer
I got the same tires today. I run 38lbs. in the rear and 36lbs. in the front. I think we're gonna like these tires alot. You can feel the stickiness of the sides as opposed to the middle section. If you run a lower tire pressure, it will stick a little better in the turns but it will cup the tire. Irregular wear will cause it to wear out quicker.

Thanks for all the responses, trailering is probably smart.

Old Racer, what pressures would you run for the track? :thumbsup:

so you are going to save roughly half the cost of gas there and back if you dont drive your truck considering it gets 1/2 the fuel milage of your bike (guess) which is about (440 miles x 20 mpg =22 gal x $3.00 =$66 (truck)x 1/2=$33(bike) )

Wow! Your truck gets 20mpg?? Nice! Normal driving I get around 15, 13.5 empty doing 85 on the interstate... can only imagine pulling a trailer... :blink:

• Member Contributer

That's what I ran on the Viffer before the GSXR race ride, and I'm guessing that is a good ballpark for Monday.

I'm very curious how the VFR will stand up to the traditional track fare. . .. :blink:

• Member Contributer
I'm very curious how the VFR will stand up to the traditional track fare. . .. :blink:

It will work well. I ran much faster laps on my VFR at the track than I am so far on my 600rr track bike.

PC057539-PS.jpg

• Member Contributer
That is curious. Any mods to the vfr? :D

Race tech .95 springs and 10wt oil, Ohlins 46DRLS shock with +10mm ride height, removed all emissions stuff except CAT (would but a PITA), staintunes, pilot powers. Still an overweight pig with ABS and all.

I would probably be faster on the CBR, but the track day after this pic I crashed and was out for 5 months due to injury, then crashed again on the CBR, so not yet up to speed.

• Member Contributer
so you are going to save roughly half the cost of gas there and back if you dont drive your truck considering it gets 1/2 the fuel milage of your bike (guess) which is about (440 miles x 20 mpg =22 gal x $3.00 =$66 (truck)x 1/2=$33(bike) )

Wow! Your truck gets 20mpg?? Nice! Normal driving I get around 15, 13.5 empty doing 85 on the interstate... can only imagine pulling a trailer... :blink:

well, mine gets 22 actually... My 'truck' though is an 01 subaru impreza RS. Does great at 80 up and down hills with a big heavy trailer with 2 bikes and gear. costs me 2 mpg to drag the trailer versus not. has a great subwoofer too! truthfully, i used to have a truck, hated it. the car does everything better, inc towing when its not big enough for all my crap. holds a full cord of wood no sweat in the trailer and i have carried pallets of pellets weighing 1 ton each plus trailer behind it without problem. handles better than a ttruck too empty or maxed out.

eh... YRMV

well, mine gets 22 actually... My 'truck' though is an 01 subaru impreza RS. Does great at 80 up and down hills with a big heavy trailer with 2 bikes and gear. costs me 2 mpg to drag the trailer versus not. has a great subwoofer too! truthfully, i used to have a truck, hated it. the car does everything better, inc towing when its not big enough for all my crap. holds a full cord of wood no sweat in the trailer and i have carried pallets of pellets weighing 1 ton each plus trailer behind it without problem. handles better than a ttruck too empty or maxed out.

eh... YRMV

I just got an 03 Silverado, 4.8L V8, no sipping with that thing. I had a 96 Sonoma 4cyl for the longest time, but I got tired of replacing rear universals due to overloading the truck with firewood. My parents have 20+ acres wooded, taking a car in w/ trailer is not an option for me. I liked my old Jetta for driving, but my fiance has a Golf GLS w/ the 1.8 turbo & Monsoon system, so I can play with that, or the bikes. Just recently replaced all my truck speakers with Infinity & Kenwood components, and am adding a 12" sub under the rear bench. :thumbsup: Oh, and push button 4WD rocks! Just sucks down that gas... :blink:

• Member Contributer

eh... YRMV

I just got an 03 Silverado, 4.8L V8, no sipping with that thing. I had a 96 Sonoma 4cyl for the longest time, but I got tired of replacing rear universals due to overloading the truck with firewood. My parents have 20+ acres wooded, taking a car in w/ trailer is not an option for me. I liked my old Jetta for driving, but my fiance has a Golf GLS w/ the 1.8 turbo & Monsoon system, so I can play with that, or the bikes. Just recently replaced all my truck speakers with Infinity & Kenwood components, and am adding a 12" sub under the rear bench. :thumbsup: Oh, and push button 4WD rocks! Just sucks down that gas... :blink:

push button eh? i wouldnt know, the Suby is AWD. i used to take it on trail rides in colorado in the snow though. Guys in big built off-roaders sure get small p3n1s complex when a sports sedan can negotiate the same rouds and obstacles they went over on 38" mud tires and a 12" lift.... I did have to watch the front spoiler and take some odd lines at times, but the damn thing was amazing for the most part.

As far as 3 point turns with a trailer, ya that sucks, but i did manage to parellel park car and trailer once with only about a space 2 foot longer than i was. 3" from the curb and perfectly straight on the first try. I had bystanders who stopped to watch potential carnage actually clapping. :-)

Yeah, it has four buttons, Auto 4WD, 2HI, 4HI, and 4LO. Auto is similar(kinda) to your Subie's system in that it engages the front wheels but only drives them if the rears start to slip. Fun for getting sideways, otherwise I prefer the locked drive of 4HI, I only tried the 4LO once, amazing torque! Aside from the gas use, I'd like to try out some better brake rotors, I'm going cross-drilled and slotted, front and rear when the time comes!! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
Yeah, it has four buttons, Auto 4WD, 2HI, 4HI, and 4LO. Auto is similar(kinda) to your Subie's system in that it engages the front wheels but only drives them if the rears start to slip. Fun for getting sideways, otherwise I prefer the locked drive of 4HI, I only tried the 4LO once, amazing torque! Aside from the gas use, I'd like to try out some better brake rotors, I'm going cross-drilled and slotted, front and rear when the time comes!! :thumbsup:

eh, the slotted and drilled will give slghtly better wet performance and a little better on long downhill sections wth a load, bu tthe best bang for the buck is just great pads. If you want more its all about more swept area, aka bigger rotors/calipers. A pricey upgrade.

We used to build custom rock crawlers at my old shop in colorado, we uilt one with about a 500-1 total reduction. when we first test drove it and i tried to stop, the torque at idle was so high the whole truck twisted sideways on its springs to about 45deg in compound 4 low (with extra gear reduction box). But going that slow with that torque will get you up damn near a vertical wall...

Archived